• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twelve years with eGullet

Alex

... Remember the discussion about garlic presses and the stainless steel mushroom garlic smasher she had for her avatar?  I have one just like it on the window sill above my sink and I think of her every time I see it. 

I've been wanting that garlic smasher. Where'd you get it?

I have Googled for that steel mushroom going on years now...to no avail. :sad:

I did, however, find a small-ish, heavy metallic 2-sided coffee tamper at BB&B that felt like it could be a good garlic smasher. I haven't tried it out yet but I think it will do the job nicely. Not as pretty as Fifi and Andie's mushrooms but it'll do.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wow, nine more eG'ers senior to me, so far. I was happy to see that even though some don't post much anymore, they're still checking out the forums.

Welcome back, Ruth. A crashed hard drive is such a major pain, isn't it? And two of them? Yikes.

Mitch, this shirt's for you. (PM me for a possible discount code.)

I've made several friendships and acquaintances through eG. Some I'm still in touch with, others not, but I've valued all of them.

eGullet has helped me travel the the world without leaving my chair (Barcelona! Ecuador! France!) and given me opportunities I wouldn't have had otherwise to learn and grow as a cook -- including doing a bit of recipe testing for Paula Wolfert (along with 28 other eG'ers; see p. 433 of the 2nd edition of The Cooking of Southwest France).

In fact, without eGullet, I probably wouldn't have snacked last night on roasted cauliflower nor be making a soup tonight from the leftovers. I wouldn't now own a Blendtec, a Thermopen, or an Anova. I wouldn't know about aquafaba, the sidecar, or Ah Leung's (hzrt8w) recipes.

• Like 9

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

You have to remind me how old I'm getting?

Looks as if you and I were doing the same thing on the same day back in 2002!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I joined 02/28/03, after reading a newspaper article about a controversy on the forum back then.  I haven't posted a photo since 2005 when I was severely traumatized by imagegullet, but I do enjoy looking at everybody else's photos. 

edited because my typing has if anything gotten worse over the past 12 years.

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 3

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

I have Googled for that steel mushroom going on years now...to no avail. :sad:

I did, however, find a small-ish, heavy metallic 2-sided coffee tamper at BB&B that felt like it could be a good garlic smasher. I haven't tried it out yet but I think it will do the job nicely. Not as pretty as Fifi and Andie's mushrooms but it'll do.

Another eG member sent me the mushroom as we both had thought of and mentioned Fifi in comments.  I treasure it.

I also have a wooden mushroom and oddly enough, I use it for tamping coffee when I make my pods for my Senseo brewer. 

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I checked back on some notes I made about eG not long after I joined. 

I was following a blog by Balmagowry which was very interesting - - and prompted me to buy a cookbook,  Lobscouse & Spotted Dog

and also prompted me to pull out some ancient family recipes and "play" with them a bit.

I also tried my hand at "raised" pies, with a modicum of success.  Also referenced several recipes for later attempts. 

Made frumenty a couple of times over the next few months.  Also kedgeree.

Others I miss: Rachel Perlow, Soba Addict, Verjuice, bloviatrix.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I noticed Balmagowry on Serious Eats a while back, when they did a few sessions on sourdoughbread. Must be the same person. (The formatting in this comment is acting strangely. Time to say good night.)                                                                                                       

• Like 1

2005 for me - I seem to recall it was related to pate de fruit. I lurked for quite some time on the various forums - then one day someone asked something that no one answered to my satisfaction and I HAD to post! 

I recall that my first posts on the non confectionary/pastry forums were like swimming with sharks - best not to bleed. My skin has thickened considerably since then!

• Like 7

March of 2002 for me. Sometime a bit earlier I was searching the web for a place to buy sizzle platters for home use and stumbled onto The Fat Guy website. I spent the next few weeks reading every one of Steve's (rest in peace, Steve) restaurant reviews and essays with great fascination, and one day followed his link here.

HC

• Like 2

I have a life-long habit of finding mentors as I go along.  Won't try to figure that one out.  The answer might be disturbing.

First mentor was Andiesenji for candying fruit and peels.  Then Kerry Beal for chocolate.  And paulraphael for ice cream.  And Jaymes and Chris Hennes and pierogi...and some who have disappeared...trying to recall the names...Theobroma?...  And Kim Shook for baking.  And also And Heidi Husnak for just about everything.  And JohnT for African.  And Shelby.  And AnnaN.  Too many to name.  Sorry for those names which have escaped my declining mind.  And PanaCan.  And of course Lior, who was so kind to us during a family tragedy.  That I will never forget. 

• Like 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oh yeah, Verjuice!  She wouldn't know me but  I loved reading her blog.  And Lior...I think about her and wonder how she's doing over there.

Darienne, you have attempted and cooked so many foreign things (to me) YOU are a mentor too! 

• Like 4

...prompted me to buy a cookbook,  Lobscouse & Spotted Dog...

eGullet is also the reason I purchased that cookbook for a friend who loved reading the Master and Commander books. She had mentioned some of the dishes in the book which the cookbook had recipes for and successfully tried quite a few of them.

Oy, the money I've spent on cookbooks thanks to eGullet!  :laugh:

• Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Coming up on ten years for me.  Rarely post but I do follow the conversation closely and the conversation has always been stimulating.  I also love the instructive side of this site--the forums on stocks, sauces, braising, and Col Klink's masterful class on smoking meat.  If anyone runs into =Mark, please thank him for posting his recipe for Carolina style BBQ sauce. I hope we are just warming up.

• Like 2

2005 and I don't remember what my first post was about but I know I lurked for a few months before I actually said anything. But then the flood gates opened. My spouse tells the story of when I really got hooked - Ling was challenged by Kerry to a pastry event, and then Ling challenged me to make a dessert with meat. So many recipes and friends later and here I am.

• Like 7

Coming up on ten years for me.  Rarely post but I do follow the conversation closely and the conversation has always been stimulating.  I also love the instructive side of this site--the forums on stocks, sauces, braising, and Col Klink's masterful class on smoking meat.  If anyone runs into =Mark, please thank him for posting his recipe for Carolina style BBQ sauce. I hope we are just warming up.

I miss Klink. This post of his incorporates the only two surviving pictures from the first Heartland Gathering -- and they're of his masterful smoked prime rib!

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer