• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twelve years with eGullet

Alex

Today (August 10) is my twelve-year anniversary with eGullet. I've seen a lot of members come and go over those years -- some famous, most not, all interesting. I learned about eGullet in an article in the New York Times published that very same day:

''Everybody on eGullet wants to know what is happening in Spain,'' says Grant Achatz, the young chef at Trio, a foodie favorite in Evanston, Ill.

I was thrilled to see there was another eG'er from Grand Rapids, MatthewB, who lived just a few miles from me, and who just a few weeks earlier had started a forum to organize what would be the first of many Heartland Gatherings. I contacted him and offered my assistance, and the rest is history. Unfortunately, almost all of the pictures were lost several years ago in an eG server changeover. Also unfortunately, all of the other attendees are no longer active here; the most recent ones posted in 2014. (Maggie, come back! We miss you.)

Which got me thinking: Which currently active (defined as having posted within the last six months or so) eG'ers have been around longer than I? A quick semi-random search came up with suzilightning, Anna M, Jaymes, scubadoo97, weinoo, hjshorter, and KatieLoeb. Honorable mention goes to Dejah, who registered about four months after I did. Any others?

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

And here it is--August 17, 2002!  I haven't been active lately, due to TWO crashed hard drives, getting a new computer installed, and learning how to use it.

• Like 1

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

November 2008 for me.  This is an extraordinary association of people.  Not to be redundant but I too have learned SO MUCH.  eGulleters are very generous with their time and knowledge.

Cheers to many more years of learning and sharing. :wub:

• Like 3

Congratulations, Alex. 

Soon it will be 7 years for me.  And an actual lifechanging event it was for me.  Wonderful forums and wonderful folks.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It seems I joined in January 2004. I have no idea now how I came across it.

Since then life has been a personal rollercoaster. A crippling loss. A slow recovery. An acceptance and kind of peace.

And eG and many staff and members have helped all through that. And I have learned a lot and hope to have contributed a little.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's been 12 years for me, as well, as of June 27th.

A search for European butter brought me here. :cool:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I was incorporated into the fold by way of being on a message board here in New Jersey with Rosie, Jason, Rachel, Curlz and a few others back in early September 2001.  This was a lifeline for me within the next few weeks and I have met some wonderful folk including some who grew up near me, went to school near me, shares a birthday and I can't wait to visit now that both Johnnybird and I are retired....just to put you on notice Shelby, Smithy and Melissa......

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I lurked for a few months (referred by a friend) before joining in April 2004 so I am a bit behind you early birds.  The first member to welcome me was Gifted Gourmet - Melissa - and I have missed her posts a great deal.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I thought I was an old-timer until this topic! :laugh: Like Andie, I joined in April 2004. I found eGullet during a fit of pique at the rearrangement (essentially destruction) of the forum associated with The Splendid Table. Kept the friends I'd made there (and still love that radio show) but moved on and made new friends here.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I thought I was an old-timer until this topic! :laugh: Like Andie, I joined in April 2004. I found eGullet during a fit of pique at the rearrangement (essentially destruction) of the forum associated with The Splendid Table. Kept the friends I'd made there (and still love that radio show) but moved on and made new friends here.

My interest was due to the cancellation of all the shows I liked on the food channel.  They were airing some ridiculous stuff that held no interest for me whatsoever. 

A friend from the old SOAR newsgroup (Berkeley:  Searchable Online Archive of Recipes - which I got to via BMUG in 1990) sent me the link to eG and I lurked through the holidays late in 2003, was away for most of February and March showing dogs which stopped when I injured my back in April and was laid up. 

Having been so active for so many years, eG kept me sane during the recovery time from the lumbar fracture and took my mind off the nerve pain.

I wasn't one for sharing my problems back then so I don't think anyone knew what I was experiencing. 

• Like 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 11/08/2015 at 11:37 PM, liuzhou said:

It seems I joined in 2006, so just behind you.

Since then life has has been a personal rollercoaster. A crippling loss. A slow recovery. An acceptance and kind of peace.

And eG and many staff and members have helped all through that. And I have learned a lot and hope to have contributed a little.

That should read 2004. January.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Member Since 05 Mar 2003, says my account. I don't post often, but I read a lot. It's a wonderful association of people, projects, ideas, and of course writing about

food, cooking, and eating.  :raz:  Right now I am enjoying Shelby's foodblog and wishing that the foodblogs would appear more often again.

• Like 3

I was intrigued by this thread so it took me a little while to figure out when it was that I joined; turns out it was Oct 2004.  I had no idea it had been that long ago, I thought it was more recent than that.  Like all of you, I've met some incredible people here, people who have become true friends (not just virtual ones), and learned so much from everyone here.  I wonder where some have gone (RedSugar, GiftedGourmet, Nightscotsman), will forever miss others (FatGuy, Karen, CanadianBakin) and treasure all of you who still post and share your wealth of knowledge and humour!

• Like 5

I was intrigued by this thread so it took me a little while to figure out when it was that I joined; turns out it was Oct 2004.  I had no idea it had been that long ago, I thought it was more recent than that.  Like all of you, I've met some incredible people here, people who have become true friends (not just virtual ones), and learned so much from everyone here.  I wonder where some have gone (RedSugar, GiftedGourmet, Nightscotsman), will forever miss others (FatGuy, Karen, CanadianBakin) and treasure all of you who still post and share your wealth of knowledge and humour!

I too have been reminicing about lost eG friends.  Fifi and I used to have many "chats" outside the forum.  Remember the discussion about garlic presses and the stainless steel mushroom garlic smasher she had for her avatar?  I have one just like it on the window sill above my sink and I think of her every time I see it. 

• Like 7