• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby--The Everlasting Garden...Canning...Canning...Canning...

Shelby

OH!  That could be it!  I did order from Burpee.  

Maybe my husband knows what he's saying after all.  :raz:

Don't tell him that, though. He'll just get all swollen-headed and opinionated.  :raz:  :laugh:  :wink:

• Like 2

The Hatch chiles are just super good.    We had to have them for dinner...no question.

Chicken enchiladas with Hatch chile sauce and Hatch chiles inside and Hatch chile salsa.....I think a theme has happened here.... ;)  Oh and canned refried beans. 

I did these on the stove over the gas burner on a tray with slots in it.  Worked well.

P8130464.JPG

P8130465.JPG

P8130467.JPG

Marinated a chicken breast with cumin, cilantro, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, liquid smoke, tomato juice and lime juice.

P8130466.JPG

Made some salsa

P8130469.JPG

Cooked and diced the chicken breast

P8130470.JPG

Made a sauce out of the chiles, onion, garlic, tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro....and probably more lol.

P8130472.JPG

We like flour tortillas

P8130475.JPG

All rolled up in sauce and cheese

P8130476.JPG

Two that I froze for later

P8130477.JPG

And dinner is served  :biggrin:

P8130480.JPG

Dishes are still in the sink and I'm NOT doing them until tomorrow morning.  :cool:

I have a splash of wine left and then I'm off to bed.

Since I kinda relaxed today tomorrow will be busy....jelly...peaches...

See you in the morning!  :wub:

• Like 8

You make enchiladas look so easy! Every step you mentioned (salsa, roasting, marinade, sauce) sounds small, but I manage to make a huge production of it whenever I try. Kudos to you. I'm a flour tortilla person as well. :-)

Kudos also on making jelly from the trimmings of the peaches. I don't think my family ever did that; if we skinned the peaches before canning, they went out to the garbage pile. Other critters enjoyed them, but the peach jelly is a great idea to extract extra flavor.

We're working our way through a lug of Palisade peaches purchased at the grocery store here in Duluth. They're excellent. I too am trying to remember where Toliver's mother lives, but I can tell you that things have changed drastically in the San Joaquin Valley where Toliver lives now and where I grew up. We used to get wonderful summer fruit either from our own trees or from the produce stands. After I moved out to Minnesota I suffered for several years before discovering a 2-week window when Nectarines That Taste Like They Should would hit the grocery stores here. Since then the season has extended, the occasional Real Peach can also be had (from the SJ Valley)...and none of them seems available in the grocery stores in their home counties. During my last couple of visits 'home' I learned to go to the Farmers' Markets or the neighbors, because the grocery store produce was a bust...and yet, the good stuff from California and Colorado can be had here in northern Minnesota, far from its source. Go figure.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I like the way you roasted your chiles. It looks like it works well, but I thought I would mention ...  ahem ... another cooking tool. Not that you probably need one.  :smile:

Santa Fe School of Cooking (a fun place to do courses, by the way!) has a cooking grill that they sell, designed for roasting veggies on stovetops. Not that you need it, but I bought one as a gift for friends with a gas grill and they really liked it. They call it the Santa Fe School of Cooking Grill. (surprise!)

Here's a video and here's the online catalog - you might have to scroll down past the various pans to see it. I bet there are lots of alternatives, though - including some BBQ items. 

Your dinner looks delicious! 

Get lots of rest tonight!

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

Looking at your box of chiles is making me miss my Colorado days big-time. This is the time of year when the chile roasters would come to the farmer's market, with their giant drum roaster that you could smell from blocks away. If they didn't have the kind you wanted already roasted, they'd tell you to come back in half an hour and they'd have them ready. I'd take the big plastic bag of warm roasted chiles and carefully put it into another plastic bag, and then load it into my backpack, where it would nestle into my lumbar region for the short bike ride home. There's nothing like that here, alas.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I like the way you roasted your chiles. It looks like it works well, but I thought I would mention ...  ahem ... another cooking tool. Not that you probably need one.  :smile:

Santa Fe School of Cooking (a fun place to do courses, by the way!) has a cooking grill that they sell, designed for roasting veggies on stovetops. Not that you need it, but I bought one as a gift for friends with a gas grill and they really liked it. They call it the Santa Fe School of Cooking Grill. (surprise!)

Here's a video and here's the online catalog - you might have to scroll down past the various pans to see it. I bet there are lots of alternatives, though - including some BBQ items. 

That grill looks interesting but does it always buckle like that over the heat? And if it does, does it settle back down when cooled?

• Like 1

I ordered one of those grills about eight years ago and have used it countless times. Love it.  Nothing like the smell of roasting peppers in in the middle of an Iowa winter.  Mine has never buckled.  I always look for peppers that are straight with as few nooks and crannies as I can find. Makes it easier to get an even char on them.  I peel them using a paper towel.  Fast and you can pitch it when it is full of skin.

• Like 4

I do love some Hatch chiles. I brought back a huge bag of them from Arizona when I was out there a few years ago in the late fall. Didn't realize you could order the fresh ones.

Getting ready to make a trip to N. Georgia; will come back with, hopefully, lots of Silver Queen corn and some peaches. Going to try that tip of jelly from the peach skins. Strikes me that if one made wine, it would make a good juice from which to make wine. I will also be looking for some Kentucky Wonder pole beans -- another variety from my childhood that you just don't see much any more. When cooked long and slow with some cured meat, they take on a wonderful smoky-sweet taste -- love them!

Do you find there are some things that need to be canned, vs. others that do fine if frozen? Seems to me that tomatoes, green beans, and of course, jams and jellies must be canned, while corn, purple hulled peas, squash, and most fruit can be frozen. As I'm expanding into putting up more vegetables, I'm wishing I'd bought a larger deep freeze. May have to make a change next year.

ETA: It also occurs to me you could use those peach skins to make some FINE infused vodka.....

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thank you!

Those spiders are so huge and beautiful--and I'm not a spider lover. But I do love these girls (I don't know why I think they're female lol).  AND every grasshopper they catch and eat is one less that is munching on my garden.

I'm having fun with my big camera getting some good pictures of blossoms and the garden in general.  I got lazy and started using my iPhone for everything.  Just not the same quality.

Do you slice your cherries in half when you do that or keep them whole?

Thought I had a contender...foiled again....

attachicon.gifP8120411.JPG

Took a picture of my storage area in the basement for all that I've canned.  Can't remember if I took one in the last blog.

attachicon.gifP8120413.JPG

AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH....NO GREEN BEANS!!!!!!

this is exactly what our still room looked like.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

That grill does look cool.  The tray I used was more closed.  Might roast faster on the one you showed.

Looking at your box of chiles is making me miss my Colorado days big-time. This is the time of year when the chile roasters would come to the farmer's market, with their giant drum roaster that you could smell from blocks away. If they didn't have the kind you wanted already roasted, they'd tell you to come back in half an hour and they'd have them ready. I'd take the big plastic bag of warm roasted chiles and carefully put it into another plastic bag, and then load it into my backpack, where it would nestle into my lumbar region for the short bike ride home. There's nothing like that here, alas.

I can just imagine that smell.  The house still smells of roasted peppers this morning and I don't mind a bit :)

I do love some Hatch chiles. I brought back a huge bag of them from Arizona when I was out there a few years ago in the late fall. Didn't realize you could order the fresh ones.

Getting ready to make a trip to N. Georgia; will come back with, hopefully, lots of Silver Queen corn and some peaches. Going to try that tip of jelly from the peach skins. Strikes me that if one made wine, it would make a good juice from which to make wine. I will also be looking for some Kentucky Wonder pole beans -- another variety from my childhood that you just don't see much any more. When cooked long and slow with some cured meat, they take on a wonderful smoky-sweet taste -- love them!

Do you find there are some things that need to be canned, vs. others that do fine if frozen? Seems to me that tomatoes, green beans, and of course, jams and jellies must be canned, while corn, purple hulled peas, squash, and most fruit can be frozen. As I'm expanding into putting up more vegetables, I'm wishing I'd bought a larger deep freeze. May have to make a change next year.

ETA: It also occurs to me you could use those peach skins to make some FINE infused vodka.....

I hope you have a great trip!  Enjoy a Georgia peach for me.  Those are like a bite of heaven.

We'll see how the peach skin jelly works out.  I'll be attacking that in a couple of hours.  I think you're right about the vodka and the wine idea.  We tried to make wine years ago.  I still have some bottled up downstairs for if an apocalypse comes and we're desperate.  It tastes like Nyquil.

Our freezers get full of venison, geese, pheasants, quail etc.  so I try to can as much as possible.  I really prefer my tomatoes canned but I do cook some down and freeze bags or containers of plain tomato "sauce".  I know a lot of people freeze them whole with the skins on and I've done that before too but those take a ton of room.  I have Silver Queen frozen.  In years past I've grated up zukes and frozen them.  I'd rather make breads or meatballs to use that up and freeze those.  Oh and I like to freeze pesto.  Need to work some of that up soon.  My plants are bolting.

• Like 3

Happy Friday!

My husband made himself some breakfast this morning.  A potato cake from left over mashers, toast, 'maters and an egg.  Oh and a fresh glass of 'mater juice.

P8140482.JPG

P8140483.JPG

Today's garden blossom is the cucumber :)  Such a cheerful yellow.

P8140485.JPG

I've been wondering why I'm not getting many picklers lately.  I guess this is why (ahem, I'm looking at you my furry baby dogs...they LOVE cucumbers sigh.)

P8140486.JPG

Can you spot the grasshopper in there?

P8140490.JPG

While we were in the garden we also hunted for those suckers.  When we would catch one we put it in this old coffee can with a slit cut in the lid.

P8140491.JPG

A view into the can

P8140492.JPG

I think we caught about 8.  So now, Ronnie and Chum (our Lab) have loaded up and trundled down to our river to fish for catfish.  He'll use the grasshoppers for bait.  The catfish love a big fat 'hopper.

Today's gardenage:

P8140494.JPG

• Like 8

nice recycle  on the 'hopers

hope Matilda doest starve   ....

:laugh:   She assured me she would be ok.  She had another tangled in her web, actually.

I just talked to the fisherman.  We will be having fish for dinner  :biggrin:

• Like 8

Loved the grasshopper details! Very smart! 

But ... Bad Dog, Chum! You need to develop an appetite for weeds or even grasshoppers and leave those pickling cukes alone.    :wink:

Deryn, I don't know why that grill in the video looked bent - I don't think the one I gifted ever did that. I have not tried one myself (other than seeing one used at the cooking school) because I have an induction range. 

Shelby, what are your favourite uses for your canned peaches? 

• Like 3

Loved the grasshopper details! Very smart! 

But ... Bad Dog, Chum! You need to develop an appetite for weeds or even grasshoppers and leave those pickling cukes alone.    :wink:

Deryn, I don't know why that grill in the video looked bent - I don't think the one I gifted ever did that. I have not tried one myself (other than seeing one used at the cooking school) because I have an induction range. 

Shelby, what are your favourite uses for your canned peaches? 

She actually eats the hell out of grasshoppers.  She's very gourmet LOL.

I make this pie a lot. 

I love them on vanilla ice cream.  We like 'em just plain out of the jar.

Oh, and after the peaches are gone I save the juice and have this

IMG_1167.jpg

Make peach kuchen!!!

OK does your Chum look like the guy on TV's Pawn Stars?

I've never made a kuchen....I don't think I've ever eaten a kuchen.....might have to rectify that.

Oh gosh, when she was a baby her feet were huge and she was just kind of slow and clumsy (no offense meant to Chumly on the show lol) so, that became her nickname.  Her real name is Addison.  So when she's in trouble it's "ADDISON CHUMLY!"  I humbly feel like she's far cuter than the human one.

Here's our dinner tonight.  The catfish (the two on the right), not the carp.

P8140496.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 10

The peach bubbly looks like just what you need after a day in the kitchen. Or in the garden. Or anywhere, really.

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I can just imagine that smell.  The house still smells of roasted peppers this morning and I don't mind a bit :)

I didn't tell you about the first time I got roasted chiles, when I didn't know that you pretty much had to freeze them on a cookie sheet before you bagged them rather than just toss the whole container in the freezer. And I also didn't know that you really should wear gloves when you handle them, especially if you're going to manipulate contact lenses (even if you wash your hands first!).

• Like 5

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

It's been a jelly afternoon.

(Just found out the box I mailed STILL hasn't been received.  Who knew it took over 5 days to get from Kansas to Western Colorado.   :angry: )

This is where I tell you I have absolutely no idea what the "F" I'm doing when it comes to jelly or jam or anything like that.  I know so little that it probably makes me brave lol.

So, you remember I had leftover sugar water from canning peaches and I dumped the skins and pits in there.  Boiled for about 30 mins, cooled over night and then threw it in the fridge.  

So, I strained all the skin and stuff through a tea towel

P8140497.JPG

And got this.  Two quarts worth.

P8140499.JPG

I had no idea how much sugar was in there because I didn't really keep track the other night.  :unsure:   I know I put in around 6 cups or so ....so I figured maybe I'd be ok.  I had pectin at the ready, but frankly I didn't want to use it and the directions confused me because I had already went out on my own regarding the sugar.

I poured it in a pot to boil.  Now, I do know that this pot is too tall...but it's what I grabbed.  Here it's at 212 degrees where it stayed FOREVER.  

P8140501.JPG

Finally after like 10 hours (ok like 40 minutes) we hit 220, actually 221.  That's the magic number you're looking for at my sea level for jelly to make.

P8140503.JPG

I put a plate in the freezer and dabbed a bit on to test it real quick.  It was dang thick so I went with my gut and deemed it good.  I mean the worst that could happen is we get peach syrup and that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

P8140504.JPG

So here it is in these cute little jars.  I was going to can them but I realized that they would slip right out of my jar holder and I didn't have the energy to be MacGyver and figure out another solution.  I did sterilize them in the dishwasher and I had my lids in the warm water.  As I'm sitting here typing, three of them have gone "POP", so they are sealed.  I'll keep 'em all in the fridge.

P8140505.JPG

I had a little dab left that I put in the fridge and just took a sample.  It's good enough.  I don't know if it's jelly yet but it's definitely way thicker than syrup.  I definitely recommend doing a better job at measuring than I did but maybe I got lucky this time.

P8140506.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7

Andre?!!!!  come on..........Please upgrade to at least Cook's

The peach pit jelly is awesome.

I know, right?  That was Ronnie's purchase  (sorry to throw you under the bus)....but honestly with the peach juice it was just fine.

Well, I hope it's awesome.   (thank you for the support)  

• Like 2

Love the peach samosa, though I might use a Prosecco or something.   :raz:

(Sorry, Ronnie)

The peach jelly looks awesome. I don't think you have to be exact with things. If it thickens and tastes nice, it's a winner, right? 

What do you use for a jelly bag/tea towel holder? Looks like it's sturdy,whatever it is. 

Are you a Southpaw, Shelby? I noticed the way you hold the Thermapen in your left hand. I'm a southie and it drives me nuts that the Thermapen is so obviously designed for Northpaws, I was thinking of asking them if they make left-hander models!

Also, I think you could use a cake cooling rack (or similar) in the bottom of the canning pot and use the big canning tongs to lower the smaller jars in, unless I am missing something, which I very well may be.   :laugh:

Edited to add:  Good job on the fishing! Happy to hear that the 'hoppers worked their magic. Chum, Chum, Chum.... I think I would like you. Big paws and clumsiness and all. Is he allowed in the house or would he eat your produce right off the counter? 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

Love the peach samosa, though I might use a Prosecco or something.   :raz:

(Sorry, Ronnie)

The peach jelly looks awesome. I don't think you have to be exact with things. If it thickens and tastes nice, it's a winner, right? 

What do you use for a jelly bag/tea towel holder? Looks like it's sturdy,whatever it is. 

Are you a Southpaw, Shelby? I noticed the way you hold the Thermapen in your left hand. I'm a southie and it drives me nuts that the Thermapen is so obviously designed for Northpaws, I was thinking of asking them if they make left-hander models!

Also, I think you could use a cake cooling rack (or similar) in the bottom of the canning pot and use the big canning tongs to lower the smaller jars in, unless I am missing something, which I very well may be.   :laugh:

Edited to add:  Good job on the fishing! Happy to hear that the 'hoppers worked their magic. Chum, Chum, Chum.... I think I would like you. Big paws and clumsiness and all. Is he allowed in the house or would he eat your produce right off the counter? 

The "jelly" tastes good, just dunno yet if it's jelly :)

The towel holder was my hand and it's sturdy sometimes lol...more often not.

No, I'm a righty...I had the pen in my left and the camera in my right.  **needed a helper at times today and didn't have one.

I need to look for something smaller for canning...my basement is full of treasures sometimes.

Chum weighs about 88 lbs and goes everywhere with us--if we are inside she's with us, if we are outside she's with us  and and she sleeps in bed right between us along with two cats.  

The pecking order here is:

Me

Dr. Lecter, Newman, Chum, Pickle (all on even terms)

Ronnie

:raz:

So, I'm again enjoying my last drink of wine and posting dinner pictures.

Fish all filleted out.  They were super tender.

P8140508.JPG

OH and this might explain and it might not.  Here is me dragging the back of the knife down the tomato to loosen the skin.

P8140511.JPG

I keep cukes and onions with vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar at all times in the fridge right now.  Great side dish.

P8140513.JPG

The batter I use is equal parts cornstarch and self rising flour.  Tonight I used a cup of each along with just over 2/3 of a cup of cornmeal.  Stir that all together and get a light beer of some sort and pour it in.  The mixture tonight took the whole beer.  Put enough beer in so it leaves a "trail" behind when you dip it out.

P8140515.JPG

Along side we had my usual mac and cheese.  Nothing ya'll haven't seen before.

P8140517.JPG

The requisite tomatoes

P8140521.JPG

I had to cut up a few okra to go with the fish.  Here is everything all fried up.

P8140520.JPG

I also sautéed some squash and tomatoes to go along with.

Here is my plate

I'm FULL

P8140524.JPG

Have a great Friday evening you guys and I'll see you in the morning!

• Like 9