• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staffing drought - Where'd all the talent go?

MattyC

Do cooks think if they open their own place they'll be more financially stable?  I'll admit I have dreams of grandeur and hope that chocolate will make me enough money to retire in 15-20 years.

I actually don't think even think aside from being able to buy booze and live, money or stability off the bat matters - even places that are offering low-tier cooks 15-16 per hour, with a 1k sign on bonus and student loan help, can't get more than a handful applying each week, from what others around here have told me. Then you have the beard nominated places, the local 'best new resto' places, maybe offering 13-14, those also still can't get anyone. It's the simple fact there aren't enough cooks to restaurants. I mean, if money were the factor, all of the big places would be stacked with what they're offering, and they're worse off than even some lesser known places.

@gfweb in theory, yes, that's a great idea, one most places try, and do - I had a few interns last few places I ran, and it's great - when you have the time and experienced staff to train them. The issue is that right now, most restaurant can't staff entirely of interns or kids just out of culinary school. You just can't, and that's essentially what it would be. Nurturing young cooks requires time, and other experienced staff to run normal operations, or help train the kids as well. But what do you do when you don't even have anyone with experience? That's the issue everyone is facing. Barely anyone in the talent pool and all, and the few that are applying, have barely any experience. People don't have 3 months to properly train the green interns or recent grads, people can barely staff what they have for existing kitchens. 

• Like 2

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

With the school intern idea I was thinking - hell, I can't even keep up with the training of the "professional" staff who have some level of commitment to the field, let alone a bunch of students who don't even know if this is how they want to spend their lives. It is a good idea, but less realistic than it sounds. I'm very fortunate that my staff has been stable for nearly 2 years - much different than my previous staff. I try to take care of them but at times it feels like a one way street - giving, giving, giving, but when you need extra coverage, "Oh sorry, I have other plans tonight." But I'm quietly grumbling because I have the stability that allows me to do my work.

• Like 1

I actually don't think even think aside from being able to buy booze and live, money or stability off the bat matters - even places that are offering low-tier cooks 15-16 per hour, with a 1k sign on bonus and student loan help, can't get more than a handful applying each week, from what others around here have told me. Then you have the beard nominated places, the local 'best new resto' places, maybe offering 13-14, those also still can't get anyone. It's the simple fact there aren't enough cooks to restaurants. I mean, if money were the factor, all of the big places would be stacked with what they're offering, and they're worse off than even some lesser known places.

I meant more as a factor of why there are so many restaurants opening - I wonder how many cooks work for someone else for 5-10 years then decide they need to be the boss.  I think it is seen as a natural progression to some extent, so maybe not motivated by financial stability.

If anyone has a $1k signing bonus for pastry chefs, let me know, this self-employed thing is a bigger struggle that I realized! :wacko: