• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Air brushing chocolate molds

LabKat

I have been air brushing my chocolate molds with great success, however I do not understand how are the very thin straight lines that some chocolatiers make some dividing the bonbon down the middle or just a few short lines of different colors. I have tried using a fine brush, I have shaped small pieces of thin plastic to the shape of the mold then dipped it in colored cocoa butter and tried to make a very thin line without success. Is it a stencil that is placed in the mold, then airbrushed? I really like the clean line and look. Can someone help me with this allusive technique.Thanks

Some lines can be made with a drizzle of chocolate - others are made by spraying then wiping off colour with a Q-tip or a clay tool, then backing up with another colour.

There was a previous discussion of creating a single line to decorate a chocolate shell. 

Here is a brief quote from the person who did it successfully:

The idea for the single strip came right from that discussion on this forum. I tried several ways to replicate it, including someone's suggestion of a qtip, which works, but the line isn't very clean. Ultimately I found some food safe plastic adhesive sheets in a local cake craft store. I cut a strip, stick it to the mold and airbrush my main color. After it sets I peal off the strip and paint the second color, or leave blank if I want the color if the chocolate to come through.

I was never able to locate that adhesive.  I experimented once with Scotch transparent tape just to see if something like that would work, but the liquid cocoa butter got underneath the tape enough to ruin the line, even after many attempts.  It's such a great effect that I keep thinking about ways to do it.  No success so far.