• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big "cake-like" cookies...

LaMiaCucina

I've been asked to try and replicate a cookie that a friend tasted while on vacation.  She said it is almost like a cake (but is definately a cookie), and flavored with honey, ginger, and lemon.

The first thing that came to mind is using a cake-type sugar cookie recipe and adapting the flavors from there. 

I wonder if it would be better to use shortening rather than butter.  From what she said, this cookie held its shape during baking.  It seems brown sugar would be called for as well.

What do you all think?

Shortening is definitely the way to go. The description that it was like cake contradicts the part about holding its shape. In my culinary school baking book there is a sugar cookie recipe which holds its shape precisely, so much so that a stray fingerprint will show in a finished cookie. (you roll them and cut carefully, with the dough on parchment) But, cookies like that, without leavening, do not tend to be cakey.

The honey will also be an issue with structural integrity. Is brown sugar in the cookie, or speculated due to dark color?

Do you have any clues about the name of the cookie? Where did your friend vacation? Is this some local tradition?

I've been asked to try and replicate a cookie that a friend tasted while on vacation.  She said it is almost like a cake (but is definately a cookie), and flavored with honey, ginger, and lemon.

Where was she vacationing? Was the cookie particular to the country she was visiting? 

Start with the two variations of this recipe and change the flavouring to the honey, ginger and lemon.

Big honking cake-like cookies.

Sour cream cookies 

• ¼ cup butter
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ½ cups flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup raisins, soaked
  • lemon and orange rind
  • Hermit Variation
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp cloves
  • ¼ tsp allspice
  • 1 cup raisins, soaked
  • ½ cup chopped nuts
  • ¼ cup peel 
  • ½ cup chopped dates
  • lemon and orange rind

Soak raisins in boiling water, then drain. Mix together softened butter and sugar. Beat in sugar. Alternate dry ingredients with sour cream. Stir in raisins. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Makes 12 very large cookies.

Hermit Sour Cream Cookies

• ¼ cup butter
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp molasses
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ½ cups flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp allspice
  • ¼ tsp cloves
  • ½ cup chopped nuts
  • ¼ cup peel
  • 1 cup raisins, soaked
  • ½ cup chopped dates
  • lemon and orange rind
Soak raisins in boiling water, then drain. Mix together softened butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Alternate dry ingredients with sour cream. Stir in raisins, dates, peel and nuts. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Makes 12 -24 large cookies.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure of exactly the city, but it is definitely from the south - South Carolina or Georgia.

I am thinking brown sugar for a couple of reasons.  First, it isn't a "dark" cookie, but it doesn't look white like sugar cookies.  I also thought brown sugar would help to achieve the texture.

I make a cookie that "mounds" and has a lot of baking powder.  If I play around with it, I might be able to achieve the cake-like quality and still get it to hold shape using shortening.

Still not sure how to incorporate the honey, unless I substitute some of it for the br sugar.  The thought of a glaze crossed my mind, but it would be too sticky and not on the original.

All I can do is get as close as I can. :)