• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern African Cookbooks

Merkinz

I'm looking to invest in some quality Southern African cookbooks but I have no idea whats good and its quite difficult to figure it out!

I don't live in SA, infact I live on the other side of the world! But I recently came across some of Justin Bonello's books. His books are part travel part cookbooks and he covers alot of traditional South African recipes. His books are hard to get ahold of though.

Can anyone recommend me any other recent (last 10 years or so) quality cookbooks that cover South African or rather "Southern African" cuisine.

Thanks

How about "Rainbow Cuisine" by Lannice Snyman. There are a few more, such as "Cook and Enjoy It" by SJA de Villiers and "Best of Cooking In South Africa" by Lynn Bedford Hall. The latter two are quite old but the "Rainbow Cuisine" book is more recent. You should be able to get them as used copies on the net.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I bought this passing through OR Tambo a couple years ago http://livetoeat.co.za/in-the-bag/reuben-riffels-new-cookbook-reuben-cooks-local/

I've had to adapt recipes re: ingredients but, hey, I'm sure you're a resourceful guy. I like the book.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I'm looking to invest in some quality Southern African cookbooks but I have no idea whats good and its quite difficult to figure it out!

I don't live in SA, infact I live on the other side of the world! But I recently came across some of Justin Bonello's books. His books are part travel part cookbooks and he covers alot of traditional South African recipes. His books are hard to get ahold of though.

Can anyone recommend me any other recent (last 10 years or so) quality cookbooks that cover South African or rather "Southern African" cuisine.

Thanks

I was surprised to find how little has been written about South African cuisine recently. But as I searched I came across

this site which might interest you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the resources everyone. If others are interested I also came across THIS list of recipes by one of the chefs from 'Ultimate Braai Master' ... also there are a bunch of recipes HERE on the Ultimate Braai Master website. Alot of which look quite modern and delicious!

I've ordered a small batch of books from South Africa ... who knows if they will actually arrive though :( If they do I'll order that Reuben on Fire book as well. Looks awesome

EDIT: also just came across this free ebook titled "Cape Wine Braai Masters" it appears to be an ebook put together by Wine.co.za and it's fairly substantial and of a decently high quality for a free book. You can look through and down load it HERE or from the wine.co.za page about it HERE. Recipes look good too :)

Edited by Merkinz (log)
  • Like 2