• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone used dry aged trim in making a sauce?

paulraphael

because I'm making the rest of my jus on in the water bath and I'm lazy. And I want to know if in the future I can add it along with regular meat.

It's separate; if it smells and tastes good at the end it will get mixed in, if not, I've taken a hit for team science.

[edited to add: infusing at 90°C, not 95.]

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I use for stock along with bones and non aged meat scraps to make other sauces. But i dont think i would directly make a sauce from just the aged trimmings. Unless you like that funk flavor intensified.

I was hoping to add to ingredients for some beef coulis that would be a sauce bass. There was other meat and meaty bones.

The extraction from the trim was gray and musty ... not very appealing on its own. I strained out the trimmings and browned them in a pan, added the gray goo, and reduced it all the way down until it browned on the pan. After deglazing that with some stock, the mustiness was gone, but so was most of the unique character of the trim. It did have a nice concentrated / browned flavor at this point.

With my next batch I'm going to to try quickly blanching it first, to remove any god-knows-what from the surface, and then browning it before extracting in the sous-vide bag. 

Notes from the underbelly

I have often used trim of all kinds in making sauces.  Typically I grind it up and brown it aggressively, then add aromatics and liquid, then pressure cook for an hour or so, then strain, reduce (if needed) and use.  Works great.

• Like 2

--