• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light and Refreshing Summer Cocktails

weinoo

I'll start. 

Rome With a View. Created by Michael McIlroy at Attaboy.

2015_08_02 0969.JPG

1 oz. Campari

1 oz. Dry Vermouth

1 oz. Lime juice

3/4 oz. Simple

Soda Water

Orange wheel

Shaken with ice. Strained over ice. Topped w/sparkling water. Orange wheel.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Nice, think we'll have that tomorrow. Thank you.

Made a basil gimlet with the garden bounty

5 leaves basil

2 oz gin

1/2 oz agave syrup

3/4 oz lime juice

Muddle leaves with lime.add ice and other ingredients. Shake, strain add spanked basil leaf as garnish

• Like 3

Nothing fancy but a Gin and Chinotto is a great hot day drink for those that have a taste for bitter ..   basically switch out the tonic for chinotto  soda and make as you would your preferred G &T  .  I usually add a squeeze of lime juice and a slice for garnish. 

• Like 2

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Yesterday, I wanted to make a rhum dandy shim, courtesy Fred Yarm's cocktail virgin site, but this ended up being a very good rum dandy shim. Much different presence than it would have had with agricole but very refreshing all the same.

2oz Dolin blanc

1/2oz rum agricole (I'm out of agricole (what?!) but used Diplomatico reserva)

1/2oz lime

barspoon of cane syrup (Clement)

2 dashes absinthe

Build in OF glass, add crushed ice, garnish with grated lime zest.

drink credits: From The Art of the Shim book, recipe by Craig Lane, Bar Agricole (2010)

• Like 3

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

I like a nice fino or manzanilla sherry with a good tonic like fever tree, and maybe a bit of gin for fortification. Cynar makes a nice accent when you're feeling sinister.

• Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The Americano Bolognese.  Nu Lounge Bar, Bologna, Italy.

40 ml Rosso Antico
40 ml Martini Bitter
1 dash Angostura BItters or Rhubarb Bitters
40 ml Tonic Water
Orange twist
Lemon twist

Shake Rosso Antico, Martini Bitter, Angostura/Rhubarb bitters & lemon twist with ice.  Pour un-strained into old fashioned glass. Add the tonic and orange twist.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

And since Rafa mentions sherry - there's always a classic Bamboo.  Makes you think you're drinking a grown-up cocktail.

Here's the recipe from Kindred Cocktails.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

All-time favorite summer cooler has to be a watermelon mojito. Whiz up 1-2 cups watermelon in the blender, strain through a doubled cheesecloth. 3 oz juice, 1/2 oz lime juice, 1 1/2 oz rum, 3/4 oz simple syrup, shake with ice, top with sparkling water, garnish with mint.

I also keep cucumber-lime agua fresca in the fridge all summer long. Have found it makes a nice cocktail base as well.

4 oz agua fresca

1 1/2 oz rum

1/2 oz Pimms No. 2

stir with ice

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Strawberry Cooler from David Lebovitz' web site. Nice.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Strawberry Cooler from David Lebovitz' web site. Nice.

I am sipping one of these now and it is very nice.  My first thought was, "I don't want no strawberries in my gin & tonic!"  But I've got a tub of berries destined to become strawberry, lime and black pepper popsicles and recognizing the similarity, I went ahead and gave this a try.  I skipped the sugar and threw in an extra berry.  

Edited to fix link

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Omigod, it's five o'clock and you guys are killing me with those amazing drink photos! 

Since I don't have any strawberries on hand and I can't get exotic ingredients anywhere near where I live,

I'll be having a plain ol' gin and tonic.

• Like 1

Nice, think we'll have that tomorrow. Thank you.

Made a basil gimlet with the garden bounty

5 leaves basil

2 oz gin

1/2 oz agave syrup

3/4 oz lime juice

Muddle leaves with lime.add ice and other ingredients. Shake, strain add spanked basil leaf as garnish

Omigod, it's five o'clock and you guys are killing me with those amazing drink photos! 

Since I don't have any strawberries on hand and I can't get exotic ingredients anywhere near where I live,

I'll be having a plain ol' gin and tonic.

I never get tired of the variations that can be played on gin, lime juice, and/or tonic!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)