• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northampton MA restaurants

ElainaA

I'll be spending some time next week in Northampton, MA - and since my daughter is moving there, there will certainly be more visits. I understand it is a good town for restaurants. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Paul & Elizabeths's, in Thornes Marketplace, has been around for over 30 years; they do a great job with vegetarian and seafood cooking (no meat).

Sylvester's is *the* place for breakfast.

Herrell's Ice Cream

There are other really good places whose names I forgot. I sent an email to lifelong friends of mine who live in the area (they used to live around the corner from Sylvester's) and asked them for those names and any further recommendations.

I love the Pioneer Valley!

edited to add: P.S. I'm guessing your daughter will be going to Smith College. Even if she isn't, don't miss their art museum.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

edited to add: P.S. I'm guessing your daughter will be going to Smith College. Even if she isn't, don't miss their art museum.

Actually, she will be starting a teaching position at Smith.

Thanks for the tips - the restaurants and the art museum. I understand there is also a lovely botanical garden.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Actually, she will be starting a teaching position at Smith.

Thanks for the tips - the restaurants and the art museum. I understand there is also a lovely botanical garden.

Elaina

Congratulations to her! I recently retired from a college faculty; it's a great gig. I hope she loves it there.

Yes, the gardens are lovely, too.

I remembered a few more eating places:

Mosaic Cafe (small, very informal, counter service, excellent sandwiches and Mediterranean entrees)

Heavenly Chocolate (in Thornes)

La Fiorentina (great place for a cannoli and a cappuccino)

ETA: The Pioneer Valley is a remarkable place for independent bookstores, both new and used. The Montague Bookmill ("Books you don't need in a place you can't find") is a long-time favorite of mine.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My friends also recommended Spoleto and India House.

• 7 years later...
On 8/1/2015 at 3:03 PM, rotuts said:

I used to know a bit about Northampton, but that was a long time ago.

I think Miss Florence needs at least a peek :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Florence_Diner

although times change.

Almost had breakfast here earlier this week. But instead, ate at the hotel where we were staying.  I did, however, pick up some nice treats at Florence Pie Bar, including a beef tamale hand pie and ham and cheese roll. Additionally, some of their quite nice (if nontraditional) rugelach, a sourdough loaf, and a breakfast bread. 

Nice town, with (according to my budtender) more adult-use dispensaries than any town its size on the east coast.  Something like 13 of them,.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?