• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate display case recommendations.

ACJax

I am looking for a new display case for chocolates.

My current one was bought used and really is not up to the job, it was not made for chocolates, I modified it to work. I have decided to go new and get exactly what I want.

I am in Florida, so refrigeration/humidity control is a must. Anyone have any recommended brands or ones to avoid?

I have been searching the internet looking at various brands, they all market nice, but finding any reviews about any is practically non-existent.  Even though they are cheap, I am avoiding going with no-name China imports.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

EdwardJ is the man for refrigeration questions.  Or a lot of food service/restaurant/retail shop questions.  Incredible wealth of knowledge.  Plus he has a chocolate shop so has relevant experience with regard to your questions.....

Try vegacases.com. They are a local co. in Vancouver, but are highly recommended and specialize with pastry and chocolate cases, and export worldwide.

They are expensive, make no doubt about that. After that there are the european models, but I have no experience with these.

My experiences with chinese made cases are unprintable, but I came quickly to the conclusion that they work best with the plug pulled out....

Thanks for the recommendation, I have sent them a request for quote on what I am looking for.

I have also sent out quote requests to the following other companies I found on the web that appear to make what I am looking for, or do custom work.

Is anyone familiar with any of them?

Alternative Air Store Fixtures.

Cold Core

Federal Industries

Custom Cool Food Service Solutions

Borgen Merchandising Systems

Specialty Fabricators, LLC

Atlantic Food Bars

Creative Merchandising Systems

Alternative Air Store Fixtures & Cold Core seem to be the same cases.

Surprisingly few responses, only three companies have responded from the above list (including vegacases).

Vega Cases did respond, they stated they would not be able to meet my requirements, I think it has to do with the depth of the cases, they make theirs 48” and I can only have 30” due to a door to get through.

Another that responded, after I talked to the rep, was also kind of hesitant about saying they could do the case, again due to the depth requirements. They were 35”.

Maybe its just the place I am currently in, it is an old building, but this has at least taught me one thing, when I can finally move into my own place; make sure that there is a 48” doorway. 

In extreme situations, I've heard of people having the metal doors and door frames removed so that the cases can be installed.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I have the same problem with the door (to the shop) width.  I have two large picture windows that will have to be removed when I finally buy a case.  I've already got a quote for the window removal/replacement so I think the real challenge is going to be coordinating the delivery and window company arrivals.  So if you have the option to remove a window, or take the door off the frame to get a case in, look into it.

Removing the door frame and/or window is not an option. This is a shared retail spot, not my own location. If it was my own location I would just put the money into it and double pane the front glass and boost the AC cooling ability to keep the entire front area cool enough to display without dedicated cooled display case. Couple mini-spit ac units would do wonderful (which they won’t go for, I already tried to go that route).

I took a quick look at advanced gourmet, they do chocolate cases, I will get my specs to them and see what they can do. Thanks for the recommendation.

Those factors limit you considerably....

Still, I have one more bullet in my gun: Costco

Its not what you think, but Costco, HomeDespot, etc. do carry mini-bar sized wine coolers with glass doors. Temp and humidity look about right for choc with these units. Getting the bar fridges to look halfway decent will be a challenge, but it is an option.....