• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking a Stainless Steel Bowl Like This One

Shel_B

This bowl belongs to a friend and I would like to find one like it. It's stainless steel with a 3-quart capacity, and would be perfect for my needs.  I've searched for a couple of days and cannot find anything even close ... maybe my search techniques need refinement.  Regardless, if anyone knows where such a bowl can be found, please let me know.  If there was one like it with a pouring spout, so much the better.  Thanks!

3qt Stainless Bowl with Handle.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

That looks old, Shel. And very useful. I take it there are no identifying marks as to company or even country of origin?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

That looks old, Shel. And very useful. I take it there are no identifying marks as to company or even country of origin?

There is an identifying mark on the bottom, but it's worn to the point of being illegible.  I'll search on btbyrd's suggestion.  What I like about it apart from the size, which is just about perfect for many uses in my kitchen, is that it's stainless steel and quite light weight.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

It's a "Grip-n-Whip" bowl made by West Bend.

Indeed it is.  With that info, I found a few on etsy and eBay.  They've all been sold, but now I know what to look for.  Thanks!  Unfortunately, the ones that sold were pretty spendy ... one went for $49.00, although most were in the $25.00 - $30.00 range.  I have to decide how much I'm willing to spend. Not $50.00, that's for sure.

... Shel

Indeed it is.  With that info, I found a few on etsy and eBay.  They've all been sold, but now I know what to look for.  Thanks!  Unfortunately, the ones that sold were pretty spendy ... one went for $49.00, although most were in the $25.00 - $30.00 range.  I have to decide how much I'm willing to spend. Not $50.00, that's for sure.

You might try Cook'n in San Francisco's Haight...

Edited by boilsover (log)

I have one like it but it's Pyrex.  I use it all the time.  They call it a batter bowl.  http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Prepware-8-Cup-Measuring-Plastic/dp/B00LGLHU5A

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have one like it but it's Pyrex.  I use it all the time.  They call it a batter bowl.  http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Prepware-8-Cup-Measuring-Plastic/dp/B00LGLHU5A

I have the same capacity and shape Pyrex  bowl, although an older version.  It's heavy, and it's a 2-quart capacity.  The West Bend has more capacity, and is much lighter.  The weight is probably the main reason I want the SS, followed by it being unbreakable.  As I get older, the lighter weight is very helpful.  Sweetie has aplastic version that she uses frequently.  I'd like to get her a stainless model.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

It might just be the photo, but that does not look like stainless steel to me. It looks like it's got some aluminum in it. A lot of the older stainless steel bowls are not as "pure" (for lack of a better word) as the newer ones. IOW, I wouldn't make lemon curd in that bowl, no matter what the label says.

• Like 1

It might just be the photo, but that does not look like stainless steel to me. It looks like it's got some aluminum in it. A lot of the older stainless steel bowls are not as "pure" (for lack of a better word) as the newer ones. IOW, I wouldn't make lemon curd in that bowl, no matter what the label says.

That's an interesting statement.  Can you provide a citation that says that stainless was mixed with aluminum?  I couldn't find anything. Or is this just something you heard?

FWIW, I have a few older stainless bowls that have the same look as the item pictured above, and they work just fine for making curd.  Been using them for that purpose for quite some time.

... Shel

I would vote for stainless. Remember that SS is a class of steels, not just one formulation. The three that I am most familiar with are 304, 316 and 316L but there are m any others.

As to the surface appearance that is based upon both the metallurgy of the specific alloy and how the surface was finished.

Edited to add: I thrift shop on a weekly basis and find all manner of stainless steel bowls but I have never seen one like the pictured by Shel_B. If I do come across one I will snap it up.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I've got a few of these bowls - West Bend, Farberware and two much newer ones like this.  Purchased the latter at the kitchen "outlet" store back when I was still doing some catering - used for different varieties of pancake batter for pancake breakfasts.

Nice because a hand-held electric mixer "fits" in the bowl perfectly without banging the lower sides - as happens with the bowl that have smaller bases and taper more.

The West Bend are stainless steel - with one exception.  I have relatives in Wis who worked for West Bend for years and I got a lot of my West Bend stuff via them, including some items that were never in actual production.  This includes one of these bowls that is aluminum and is anodized, has an exterior finish that is "burnt orange" matches the canisters from the 1970s. 

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Possibly $55.99 may be too expensive for the original poster, but this is a nice heavy stainless steel bowl even if one does not have a mixer:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/kitchenaid-ksmc5qbowl-5-qt-nsf-stainless-steel-mixing-bowl-with-j-handle-commercial-stand-mixers/519KSMC5QB.html?utm_source=amazon-pads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=519KSMC5QB

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was recently researching Demeyer cookware and came across these Demeyer mixing bowls in stainless steel:

http://www.demeyerecookware.com/default.asp?SLID=1&CID=8423

No handles however.  But whatever else I doubt they will readily corrode from lemon juice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From the company:

Dear Shel -

Thank you for contacting us about your whip and grip bowls.

This item was made of Stainless Steel.

You can also reach our Customer Care Department at 1-866-290-1851 Monday through Thursday 8am-4:30pm

or Friday 8:30am to 4pm CST.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer Care - Ext. 2314

Focus Electrics Group Intl. LLC

866-290-1851

Original Message

----------------

Subject: Question About an Old Product

To: "customercare@focuspg.com" <customercare@focuspg.com>

Date: 2015-07-30 15:04:41

Hello ... I have a question about an old product made by the West Bend Company, and I hope you can help me.

I am interested in the "Grip n Whip" stainless steel bowl that the company manufactured back in the 1950s or 1960s.  I find it to be a very useful item in my kitchen.  However, someone supposedly knowledgeable about such things has suggested that the bowl is not stainless steel, but an alloy of stainless steel and aluminum.

Could you verify or dispel this this contention?

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

From the company:

Dear Shel -

Thank you for contacting us about your whip and grip bowls.

This item was made of Stainless Steel.

You can also reach our Customer Care Department at 1-866-290-1851 Monday through Thursday 8am-4:30pm

or Friday 8:30am to 4pm CST.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer Care - Ext. 2314

Focus Electrics Group Intl. LLC

866-290-1851

Original Message

----------------

Subject: Question About an Old Product

To: "customercare@focuspg.com" <customercare@focuspg.com>

Date: 2015-07-30 15:04:41

Hello ... I have a question about an old product made by the West Bend Company, and I hope you can help me. I am interested in the "Grip n Whip" stainless steel bowl that the company manufactured back in the 1950s or 1960s.  I find it to be a very useful item in my kitchen.  However, someone supposedly knowledgeable about such things has suggested that the bowl is not stainless steel, but an alloy of stainless steel and aluminum. Could you verify or dispel this this contention?

Shel

Thank God you cleared that up!

• Like 6

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

From my uncle, the engineer and inventor who worked for Farberware. I edited out some personal comments.

Hi Shel,

Good to hear from you. [...]  We had a stainless bowl @ Farberware.   Don’t think I ever heard of aluminum mixed with stainless.

... Shel

Not exactly the same shape, but close, and in 5 sizes...

http://www.mora.fr/fr/produit_details.asp?Produit=010408&MenuActif=1&SsMenuActif=16

Not at all workable for my needs, nor are the other bowls mentioned in this thread ... very simply, I want the size and shape of the bowl I posted, and clones, like the Farberware, are acceptable.  Thanks for the thoughts ...

... Shel

I second the West Bend manufacturer comment above. I had to weigh in - my mom has that exact same bowl. It is simply quite the perfect weight, size and the handle puts it over the top. I will ask her about the markings on the bottom. I've tried to find a remake source for years. The joke among my siblings is that whoever makes it to the house first after mom meets her maker will grab that item first. Even before the wine stash.

• Like 2

Amusingly enough, here's an original ad for that bowl.  Only $2.99.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/26299041/

• Like 4

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I looked at Mom's bowl last night. It has a diamond shaped mark on the bottom, in which it reads "West Bend, stainless steel, made in USA." I live in the Greater Milwaukee area and remember as a kid going to West Bend with Mom and Grandma to visit the West Bend Company Factory Outlet Store on a regular basis. The bowl was likely purchased there, along with other kitchen and Oster novelty items. I think we had every Oster gadget invented in the 1970s.

• Like 5