• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre/Post Theatre Dining Options

Ok change of plan - i'm taking my husband to see 125th street on tuesday at the shaftesbury theatre in covent garden.

I'm guessing we'll be done by 10.30pm and am looking for places still serving dinner around 10.30-11.00pm.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

m.

Whyowhy people choose to spend prime time watching other people prancing around on a stage making a hell of a bleedin' racket as opposed to eating and drinking and talking is beyond me, but if you must:

Incognico in Shaftesbury Ave serves til midnight

Teatro in Shaftesbury Ave seves til late

You could hop over to Le Caprice or even try for a late table at The Ivy(probably not much chance)

Christopher's and Joe Allen,both in Covent Garden, might fit the bill.

J.Sheekey if you fancy fish

Alastair Little in Soho

For some reason after the theatre, I have an urge to go Old School and always end up at Mon Plasir on Monmouth St.

The food is entirely unreconstructed French bistro, but, is well done and the service is efficient and welcoming.

I tend to have the same thing which is Coq Au Vin with a side order of creamed spinach and a bottle of Gigondas.

S

Went to the Sugar Club the other night with friends who had been to the theatre. Food still good but my, it was hot, crowded, loud and smoky.

Tony has already listed most of the suggestions I'd make. Joe Allen sort of *is* post-theatre dining; it's what it's there for. Alistair Little has been very good on recent visits. Incognico is extremely close to the theatre.

Another option would of course be Chinatown; not sure when ECapital (whoops, just typed 'eGullet' there) closes. The Shaftesbury (interesting choice of musical) is close to Hakkasan (closes midnight) and Paolo (not sure about times) as well as everywhere on Charlotte Street.

When game becomes in season (it's a bit early now, although I sampled grouse last month at Chamaree in Paris), I have considered Rules for grouse as a post-theater option. The presentation is a bit traditional, and I have definitely had better grouse in London. However, when I am inclined to have something gamey and substantial, Rules is an option. Note that grouse is not included in the reasonably priced post-theater prix fixe menu at Rules. I am unclear as to the closing time at Rules.

A quick glance at the Time Out guide shows most of the Chinatown restaurant taking orders to 11.30 or 11 45 with some like Mr Kong, New Diamond and New Mayflower going on to the early hours.

Yeah... have munched at Mr Kong til well past midnite in the past. Good nosh, although the decor perhaps a little less salubrious than the ideal post-theatre

j

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Most of my finer food thoughts have already been suggested, but....

I recognize you didnt ask, but if you are looking for a quick, non-pub, close-by drink before hand, I would suggest Freud which is across the way from 125th Street on Shaftesbury Avenue, on the east side of the street. It is downstairs, so you have to keep your eyes peeled. Nothing fancy about it, but they make nice relatively inexpensive drinks.

If you prefer a pub, I would suggest the Cross Keys down Endell Street. There is also a Sam Smiths pub across the street from the Theater. I think its called the Crown. They often have heated seating outside.

If you get stuck and starving before or after the theater, there is a better than average (in the universe of Central London, way better than average) Kebab shop called Cafe 2000, right next to the Freud.

Enjoy the show. Having lived on 125th street for most of my youth and much of my adulthood, I always giggle when I go by the theater.

Thomas Secor

Ok change of plan - i'm taking my husband to see 125th street on tuesday at the shaftesbury theatre in covent garden. 

I'm guessing we'll be done by 10.30pm and am looking for places still serving dinner around 10.30-11.00pm.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

m.

If you're at the Aldwych end of theatreland, Axis is worth a look - rather pricey for what it is a la carte, but a bargain post-theatre menu.

As mentioned above, the Ivy sometimes has last-minute availability, such that one has some (limited) chance of obtaining a table (e.g., in the bar area) when calling after a performance after having a request declined earlier on in the day. Depending on the price range sought by the diner, The Ivy, while not offering particularly delicious food, might be an option. :hmmm: I remember some sort of lobster dish that was decent, and an unusual (in a neutral way) dessert of frozen berries.

• 3 months later...

My #1 complaint about London is that there seems to be a complete lack of good dining options in and around Covent Garden/Strand area for either pre or post theatre dining options. Combine this with the fact that most restaurants don't start serving until 6, stop at 10, and shows begin at 7:30, you have a problem big enough that you can't sink your teeth into.

Any suggestions from more seasoned Londoners? I grow weary of the post curtain Rules run.

J Sheekeys (nr Leicester Square) and Incognico (Shaftesbury Avenue), nr Charing Cross Road) or Mela - but only for post-theatre as their service is slow.

or The Punjab

Other than that it's a wasteland. Including Joe Allen !!!! I'm surprised at you Simon !

At the Royal Opera House, I sometimes don't have time to eat before a performance and am so hungry (the sandwiches are not too satisfying at the bar area and champagne doesn't suffice) that I eat at the restaurant during intermissions. The website notes the following: "Restaurants - Starter and main course are served pre-performance with dessert and coffee at the first interval. Where there is more than one interval, alternative arrangements may be made."

However, the restaurant is flexible and can time even appetizers during the first interval if one cannot arrive before the show. I've eaten there perhaps four times, and the food, while nothing special, is acceptable when I am hungry. The restaurant does a fairly good job of timing the arrival of dishes, relative to the length of the intermission.

The Ivy can be contacted for post-performance last minute availability. When it's game season, I sometimes call Rules the day of to see what is available, and might have a post-performance dinner there. The game preparation is traditional, and the service is poor, but sometimes I feel like taking in game late at night.

I've had pre-theater dinners at Richard Corrigan's (more time is needed, as the restaurant is not particularly close). The restaurant has a special menu that needs to be mentioned in connection with the making of the reservations, and has few customers during the early hours. Thus, it can turn the dishes rather rapidly.

Edited by cabrales (log)

J Sheekeys (nr Leicester Square) and Incognico (Shaftesbury Avenue), nr Charing Cross Road) or Mela - but only for post-theatre as their service is slow.

or The Punjab

Other than that it's a wasteland. Including Joe Allen !!!! I'm surprised at you Simon !

This from a woman who rec's the Punjab, universally hailed as the cruddiest Indian in The West End

S

Inigo Jones used to do a pre-theatre special.

No longer exists. It's now called L'Estaminet and serves a similar mainstream French cuisine as Mon Plaisir but in slightly more interesting surroundings.

BTW how do you eat a full meal before the theatre without falling asleep the moment the curtain goes up?

BTW how do you eat a full meal before the theatre without falling asleep the moment the curtain goes up?

Sometimes it's an advantage to fall asleep the moment the curtain goes up :smile:

I suspect I don't have what you would call a full meal, Tony. Two courses, light main (maybe fish or chicken) and no wine.

I once snored my way through the whole of Miss Saigon, including the part where a helicopter lands on the stage. This was after a pre theatre meal at Christopher's. I KNEW I shouldn't have had that second cognac ( but what I REALLY mean is that I knew I shouldn't have booked tickets for Miss Saigon) Decided after that to give up the theatre.