• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Screaming Toddlers in Restaurants

gulfporter

Unfortunately, I have to land solidly on the side of the proprietor.  My 25 year old son grew up in the midst of the entitled parent/ child generation.  Oh, the stories I could tell!  

I did not and would not ever tolerate this behavior.  He learned this early on after attempting to throw a fit in a grocery store.  At the age of 1 1/2, he learned that I would count to 3 and either his behavior or the trip would end.  It never happened again.  

I feel sorry for this child- I've seen the result 20 or so years in the future and it ain't pretty.  While I don't condone ever yelling at a child, I also can't condone allowing the rest of my customers to suffer the child's behavior and the parent's apparent ineptitude.

• Like 2