• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon

When we had our first child, we took her on a trip to Napa around the age of 1 year, and had several memorable meals .

At Auberge du Soleil, our daughter started getting fussy. The wife ate her meal while I walked around outside with our child, then I ate my meal while she walked around with her.

It never would have occurred to either of us to sit there and subject the other diners to her fussing. 

At some other restaurants she did great. Funny thing was about 25 years later, she went and had dinner at Auberge du Soleil, without knowing it was her second time there!

I also don;t understand a parent that could sit at a table (or eat or talk for that matter) with a child screaming for 40 minutes, and not try to remedy the situation.

As i recall, non-stop crying meant either a poopy diaper, and empty tummy, or a sleepy head.

Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon

When we had our first child, we took her on a trip to Napa around the age of 1 year, and had several memorable meals .

At Auberge du Soleil, our daughter started getting fussy. The wife ate her meal while I walked around outside with our child, then I ate my meal while she walked around with her.

It never would have occurred to either of us to sit there and subject the other diners to her fussing. 

I also don;t understand a parent that could sit at a table (or eat or talk for that matter) with a child screaming for 40 minutes, and not try to remedy the situation.

As i recall, non-stop crying meant either a poopy diaper, and empty tummy, or a sleepy head.