• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi everybody!

Hi eveybody!

I'm Charlie, from Spain, and I'm so happy to be with you.

I love eating and cooking and hope to learn a lot :)

I'd like to say that I'm phisically disabled (quadriplegia c5-c6) and if is there any other disabled member, I'd like to share all of our tips and tricks for cooking.

Thank you for welcoming me.

Cheers

Hi, Charlie. Glad you found us. I hope you will love it here and I see you have already contributed a wonderful recipe so I am sure you will be an amazing asset to our community. I am really looking forward to hearing about Spanish cuisine from your quarter.

I am not disabled but my father, now deceased, was. He had only one arm he could use (and it was his left one so that compounded the problem oftentimes - and he was not naturally left handed either). There was however very little he could not do, in or out of the kitchen, using a bit of ingenuity and perseverance. He always impressed me with the ways he managed to do things like cutting and peeling potatoes and other hard vegetables in particular, especially back in the day when there really were few to no tools designed to accommodate a left handed, one armed person when it came to cooking tasks. I definitely developed a different way of looking at and doing things as a result of his disability - and I had much to thank him for in that department over the years.  

That said, whether or not any other disabled persons surface here, I do hope you will tell us your tips and tricks for accomplishing things in the kitchen. I am sure we can ALL learn from you. And I hope you will also benefit and learn from everything else we post/discuss here on eGullet.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

Hi eveybody!

I'm Charlie, from Spain, and I'm so happy to be with you.

I love eating and cooking and hope to learn a lot :)

I'd like to say that I'm phisically disabled (quadriplegia c5-c6) and if is there any other disabled member, I'd like to share all of our tips and tricks for cooking.

Thank you for welcoming me.

Cheers

This sounds like a great idea for a new forum.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Hello Charlie and welcome to eGullet.  It's a great place to be and the members are so friendly and willing to share recipes and help. 

Although I've never really eaten much in the way of Spanish food, I've certainly enjoyed foods from Mexico which came from Spain and from the Arabs and so on going back.  The history of food interests me greatly and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for us to try.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thank you very much for all your kind words.

I'm really happy to be here and to share my view from spanish cuisine. From the roots of "mediterranean diet" to the most amazing dishes from the Spanish Top Chefs (and beyond!)

We have a long journey together, so let's enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I meant in my introduction.

Reading the course gave me a solution for an issue I was dealing with:

"If possible, hold the food stable with a fork instead of your fingers." - It was some kind of hell to peel/cut a tomato, onion, orange... and I never thought of that

:D