• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Mexican in LA

scamhi

I am going out to LA next weekend and would like recommendations of authentic mexican food. Something which is difficult to come by here in NY.

Anyone ever hear of Juanitas Tamales?

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

You might want to be a little more specific. Do you want Cal Mex stuff, Oaxacan, etc.? Also, there's the Two Hot Tamales Ciudad which isn't really Mexican and various Salvadorean, Cuban, etc. Juanitas is one of many respected spots for tamales. Then there's the whole giagantic vs. small burrito situation. At the risk of offending , you might try a search on chowhound.com, the LA board. I believe this and several other tamale spots were discussed recently. If you want pretty authentic and don't care about atmosphere, you should visit Grand Central Market at 3rd & Broadway downtown and search the stalls for tacos, burritos, gorditas, etc.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Thanks Hollywood.

I would like to focus on Cal-Mex. Good margaritas are a must.

Also do you know the address of Juanitas?

I've searched there and made reservations at Restaurant Josie.

Whoa! If we're talking about the same Josie, that's a high end New American in Santa Monica. Josie used to be chef at Saddle Peak Lodge which specializes in game. She's broadened her range here.

Anyway, for tamales, I think you are looking for Juanito's, 4214 Floral Drive, East LA, however, people now say that La Indiana, 1142 S. Indiana St., East LA, is better.

Regarding margs, you've got the on the rocks camp (and in this regard, I think Ciudad, the 2 Hot Tamales' pan Latin American place downtown makes good ones) and the big glass of frozen stuff fans (here, El Cholo--there are several, the oldest being on Western in Koreatown, makes a good one with Cuervo 1800--the food at El Cholo is IMHO very gringo-ized).

Re Cal Mex: there are several La Serenatas, which are pretty good and better than average decor for this sort of food; there's the Tamales' Border Grill in Santa Monica which can be innovative or noisy and aggravating. For stand type places, there's Yuca's on Hillhurst in Los Feliz for carne asada tacos and burritos and tamales wrapped in banana leaves; there's the infamous El Tepeyac, 812 N. Evergreen, East LA for big honkin', everything but the kitchen sink burritos; there's El Gran Burrito on Santa Monica near Western for burritos of course; and (some would call this heresy) there's Tito's Tacos, 11222 Washington Place, Culver City for real good Americanized hard shell tacos (get em with the cheese and either red or green, hot, salsa).

Again, I commend you to Grand Central Market. Otherwise, good stuff can be had at La Cabana (usually, there's someone there making the tortillas by hand), on Rose Ave near Lincoln Blvd, just inside Venice, and real good stuff at a no atmosphere place called La Bonita, Santa Monica Bl at Hobart Ave in Mid City LA.

I'd again suggest you consider Oaxacan, either of the 2 Guelaguezta branches on 8th Street or Olympic Bl in Koreatown, but not the one in West LA.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Don't forget La Luz del Dia at the end of the Plaza on Olvera St.

Great carnitas, nopales salad, with fresh tortillas you can watch being made as you wait for your order.

For a great tequila bar, try El Carmen on Third St., W. Hollywood. They offer a small selection of antojitos, a large selection of tequila, in a room decorated with Mexican wrestler pics and paraphenalia.

La Indiana has the best tamales in town, imho. :smile:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

• 5 months later...

I recently visited LA and had taquitos at the La Luz del Dia at the end of the Plaza on Olvera Street, excellent and the sauce was out of this world!!! But my ((most)) favorite eatery was the "taco truck" near Raymond in Pasadena... the Carne Asada was out of this world with a squeeze of lemon on the corn tortilla (steamed) with their salsa totally out of this world. Now back in Florida craving this food and wanting recipes to try to duplicate... It's a stand and eat kinda place/or take with you.