• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh my! Anthony Bourdain pours us some tea!

GlorifiedRice

Fun read.

My wife liked to watch DD&D for some time. No longer, thankfully. I reached the point that I would leave the room and find something else to do. It was that or smash the TV to smithereens the next time I heard "taking the bus to flavorland" or whatever that phrase was.

You know who my favorite celebrity chef is. Paul Prudhomme. Go to the Fancy Food Show in San Francisco. Look for Guy or the others. I don't see them. I do see Paul sitting on his scooter cooking for the attendees. That is a class act.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Love it ......though "skull f*cked by a walrus" with Rhulman on here is a classic.

Sorry I left the east end before meeting Mrs. Garten.  She seems like someone who is real.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 months later...

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/16/guy_fieri_slams_anthony_bourdain_you_have_nothing_else_to_fcking_worry_about_than_if_i_have_bleached_hair_or_not_i_mean_fck

Guy Fieri slams Anthony Bourdain  The mayor of Flavortown fired back at his biggest critic in a GQ story about Fieri's new "bomb-ass" wine project

They talk about his new wine range! Lol

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Yeh,  I don't understand the obsession with Bourdain.. He wrote a good book years ago and since has sort of lived off this fake bad boy reputation.. He is the host of a really good travel show.  I don't know what makes him this expert or gives him the credibility..  He is like the John McEnroe of the food world.. A fake bad boy living off his reputation of being a bad boy?  He is a self proclaimed average cook.. He is an ok writer.. I feel like the fact that he has a great voice has kept him around this time.  

I mean, what makes him a bad boy? That he was a junkie who listens to good music and smokes cigarettes?  And now he continues to take pot shots at easy targets?  Wow he makes fun of Fridays and Paula Dean, wow, you are so bad Tony.. 

He had a great show because he went to awesome places.   And again that voice.. But, really, he adds nothing about the food.. He sits there and eats food and offers very little commentary or description of the food.  I mean, i have watched him eat this amazing meals and has offered no insight as to the flavor profiles.. He drinks a little too much, so cool..   

Guy Fierri is actually a chef.. He owns restaurants, he has been on BBQ Teams, he has cooking shows.. Sure he might be a little cheesy but, he doesn't seem like some jaded dick.. Smiling is cool, being nice is cool.. And the fact that Guy has ignored him all this time shows he is a bigger person.. And guess what, i bet Guy could kick Tony's skinny butt all over the kitchen or the parking lot.. 

Anyway, I like Diners Drive in and Dives a lot..I tape it and usually just fast forward to the cooking...  I hate the Flavor Town crap but, at the end of the day, i have learned a lot from his show.. He is Americana, he has highlighted some amazing places and people and has helped countless people.. He builds people up and Tony tears people down.

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 2