• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Dining in London

What about tea and cakes in the patisserie in Sketch? What with their lavender cakes and al, it sounds speace age and special. Also, you don't have to have full tea , just whatever cakes you fancy. At 9 Conduit Street in the west end, near Regent Street. Lebanese brasserie Noura open all day and has excellent value cheap menu until 6pm. Hobart Place, near Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. Have fun!

For afternoon tea I would go for Browns or Claridges, they are not cheap, but you get the whole experience pianist, log fires etc (in Browns) plus they will bring more sandwiches, cakes etc.

The 'cheaper places' such as The Capital (about £15 a head $25) (and I believe Fortnums) are nowhere near as good. You get your tea, a sandwich, a scone and a piece of cake and then out of the door.

With regard to restaurants J Sheekeys would be good with children, and it can cost whatever you want it to.

St John is very good with children, but can get pricey, ditto Locanda Locatelli.

Two to irritate Simon, both Drones and Racine are also both very good with children, although the food is not in the class of the above.

Paul

Okay, Paul I'll bite: why would the mention of Drones and Racine irritate Simon, and why would you want to do so?  :biggrin:

Neither particularly irritate me

Racine is a place to be avoided though. I thought it was a really hound of a place. One or two passable dishes ( a few stinkers ) but lousy service and not cheap

S