• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Nugget Ice Machine

Toliver

There was a recent article online about a new Nugget Ice machine that is in development:

"Opal Nugget Ice makes chewable ice at home"

There's a link at the bottom of the article to the product's home page: Opel Nugget Ice

It's "soft" ice so it's supposedly not as bad on your teeth as regular ice chips. It doesn't have to be plumbed to a water source. It uses six cups of water from a reservoir in the machine to make the ice.

I can't believe they have a clear plastic drawer so you can see the ice. In hot regions, I could see the plastic getting hot and the ice melting upon contact. It does look double-walled, though, so it may prevent quick melting. I would have thought some sort of sealed insulated front door would keep the ice longer.

It is pricey but whether you buy it or not I guess depends on how much you have a hankering for "crushed" ice from a counter-top machine.

Any takers?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Looks like another "disruptive" product like that ill-conceived oven discussed a month ago.

Does this look good to investors?

Who wants soft ice in one's drink?

ALL the best bars I've been to use "nugget ice" in their crushed ice drinks. It's the right size, and yes, it is softer and easily crunched. I love it. 1 lb an hour is not fast enough for bar use, though...

What makes ice "soft"?  This strains credulity if you were to ask me.  But then you didn't.

I suspect air. It's not clear, hard ice, but is more similar to ice frozen with lots of trapped air.

What makes ice "soft"?  This strains credulity if you were to ask me.  But then you didn't.

I know, but I think I get it!  

Traditional ice machines freeze water on a plate, forming a substance as hard as a jawbreaker. In a nugget ice machine, an auger sits in the center of a refrigerated cylinder filled with water. As ice crystals begin to form, the auger pushes the wet, pliable ice through holes comparable to those in a meat grinder.

"We knew that it was the right consistency" for easily exiting the device -- "crunchy but not hard," says Mr. Utter, now 74. "We didn't really know it was going to be such a hit."

More here at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB120165510390727145

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Also, I am interested in this because a few years back I developed a real yen for munching on ice. It was definitely odd for me, but apparently it's fairly common in folks with anemia. I didn't know I had an issue until some blood tests came back and my doctor freaked a bit and said I might need an immediate blood transfusion. I had a treatable issue, but ice was my friend and foe before the diagnosis. Friend because it really helped me feel better and foe because it can be tough on your teeth. Chewable or nugget ice would have been much kinder. But then, I don't have the same problem anymore and don't crave ice that way anymore. Still, I like a lot of ice and have a tendency to munch at times.  

Now I see that the ice munching may counteract the effects of anemia:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/2014/11/08/9591b4c0-6770-11e4-9fdc-d43b053ecb4d_story.html

Very interesting. 

Hmm, I wonder if ice cream would work?

Ha, no it wasn't quite the same - for me, anyway. Though I think I liked cold, icy things more than usual. I was diagnosed in late February and people did find it weird that I wanted icy cold drinks all the time and would be chewing on the ice, asking for more, etc and all in the middle of winter.   :smile:

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I think we've discussed this on eG somewhere before - pagophagia (ice eating) is a variant of pica (craving to eat non food items like clay, dirt, paper, cornstarch) and happens with mineral deficiencies of various sorts. 

I've always found the softer ice to be preferable when I have the urge to chew on an ice cube - so for a home based cocktail fan this machine might be just the ticket. 

• Like 1