• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

daveb

Anna,  Like some many things SV, the Chawan Mushi was a result of assumption, interpolation, trial and error and some luck.  I found a recipe for the Chawan (but can't find it now) that I liked.  Took the recipe to some of the SV sites, including this one and did not find a match but did find desert custards.    I think I used time and temp for a similar volume creme brulee.  I took the first one out of the bath after prescribed time and it was not set yet.  Let the rest it go another 30 min and the next one was tight.

Edited by daveb (log)

Tonight was an easy day.  72 hour short ribs @ 129F.  Made a reduction of wine, a little balsamic, some black garlic and some shallot.  Reduced, ran it through the VMix, strained it then back into the warm saucier.  Broiled the ribs fo sear them, mounted sauce with butter, and plated.  Did not suck.

This was a trial run for a SV demo I've been asked to do next week.  Mi cuit salmon, asparagus salad with poached egg, short ribs and poached pears.

2015-08-16 21.12.38.jpg

2015-08-16 22.47.42.jpg

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 5

Yeah, it's basically just a rib or 2 forward from being rib steak. But since it's chuck my butcher sells it for 1/4 the price. He doesn't charge me for the aging (but I pay based on pre-age weight). 

It really is an outstanding hunk of meat ... nicer looking than the one I got last year. The steak in this photo is the best looking of all of them. I love the tiger stripes of marbling. After cooking it may not be possible to know which is this one.

Here's a quick pic from right before serving. Warmed in a pot of water on a wood stove and seared on a griddle. (These are slices across the grain ... many slices to one of those steaks)

sous=vide-chuck.jpg

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 4

Notes from the underbelly

Anna,  Like some many things SV, the Chawan Mushi was a result of assumption, interpolation, trial and error and some luck.  I found a recipe for the Chawan (but can't find it now) that I liked.  Took the recipe to some of the SV sites, including this one and did not find a match but did find desert custards.    I think I used time and temp for a similar volume creme brulee.  I took the first one out of the bath after prescribed time and it was not set yet.  Let the rest it go another 30 min and the next one was tight.

Thanks. Seems like a reasonable plan of action.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

delicious  Im betting

these are 'Rib chuck' steaks ?

maybe your butcher need to move down closer to me.

You should be able to find someone in Boston who'd do this for you, no? I'd think anyone who dry ages and isn't a total crank would be happy to sell you a big chunk of meat and throw it in the cooler.

It was indeed delicious. Unfortunately if you want it aged you have to be cooking for a big crowd. This was only the second occasion I've found for it. 

• Like 1

You shouldn't have to worry about price. In Brooklyn this meat cost $10/lb, before aging. It would be perfectly good without the aging step, I'm sure—you could skip it if the butcher wasn't into doing it, or if you just needed a couple of steaks.

If you are buying a big chunk for aging, you might get a discount.

BTW, it looks like the store you linked gets its meat from these guys. You might have better luck going to the source; they probably do all the aging and butchering.

Dewar's used to have two stores, one very close to me and the other several towns over.  A Zillion years ago i used to get a 4 rib 'true prime ' standing rib roast from them

for NewYears ever or N.Y.Day depending on scheduling.   this was the real deal prime meat before the USDA diluted the definition down a notch.

best meat Ive ever had 

they closed their stores as they could not afford the rent but kept the meat business Im told more or less.  People are eating a lot less beef Im guessing

Ill get over there and take a look at the FarmStand  which I used to go to more often than I do now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A friend is trying to open a food truck.  I've talked to him about how to incorporate SV into his program - hands off cooking, predictable and controllable results, etc.  Did a little business mixer with SV Tacos.  Kewl.

On the food side it was a pork loin, well trimmed.  Not much available for time/temp on a loin.  (Lot on tenderloin)  Went with 136F for 3 hours.  First time I did a sear prior to SV, thought it worked well.  Finished on flat top with Korean BBQ sauce for a twist on Spicy Korean Pork.  Little crazy but so is friend.  I would do it again.

2015-09-14 15.33.09.jpg

2015-09-14 16.19.41.jpg

2015-09-14 17.15.50.jpg

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Last night put a very small (just over 1 lb) chuck eye roast in the bath. A bit of oil went into the bag but nothing else. Will let it go for ~ 24 hours at 56.5 degrees centigrade.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Fresh, never frozen -- so I am told -- cod fillet.  It smelled so good.  Sliced onion, bay leaves, just plucked thyme, grapeseed oil.  Pasteurized to within an inch of its life at 60 deg C.  (I never did care for parasites.)

All I can say is wow.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Potatoes and carrots sous vide to be added to a beef stew made in the Instant Pot. I love potatoes and carrots in beef stew but I'm not fussy about them being cooked in there. I like the freshness of them cooked separately and added.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, sous vide boneless turkey meat for 50 min at 61.5 C. Diced and re-bagged with mole then heated to 62.5 for about 15 minutes.

Carried the water bath Esky over hill and dale to Grandma's Chris' house and it was 57 degrees on arrival. I think the meat was spot on for flavour and texture.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 weeks later...

A small chuck eye that came from Wegmans when a friend made a trip to Buffalo. One of my favourite cuts of meat.   Giving it 24 hours at 56.5°C.   It will be accompanied by potatoes done in the Instant Pot and some steamed broccoli.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

And early Christmas present. Beef short ribs being cooked at 62°C for 24 hours.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Belted Galloway beef short ribs on the bone at 61 degrees for 72 hours (more or less per MCAH) in the vac-pack they came in. Then bones & fat removed lightly shredded and reheated in commercial Australian bush tomato bbq sauce.

I don't think this is a good use of SV because life would be much easier and probably tastier if the temp was high enough to render the fat.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

39 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I don't think this is a good use of SV because life would be much easier and probably tastier if the temp was high enough to render the fat

Interesting, I really like the texture of beef fat after a 72h/61C cook, I just did a brisket like that the other night. Tonight was a couple of chicken breasts: as always, I appreciate the timing flexibility sous vide gives me, I was running late getting the rest of the meal ready, and of course this didn't affect the chicken at all.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 1 month later...

I made beef cross rib roast cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and  cooked at 131F for 24 hours..  Turned out medium rare (more on the medium side) and tender but not mushy, still had some chew.  Sorry no picture as my camera battery was flat :-(

• Like 1

I guess I'll graduate over here....I'm still a newbie, though.

Thanks to Rotuts' help I did a couple of stuffed chicken breasts yesterday.  My stuffing ability leaves a lot to be desired but it was still good.  I do think I left them in the bath a bit too long....was finishing up the rest of dinner and some soup for today.  None the less, these were good.  Yes, you guys were all correct, SV is an excellent way to enjoy chicken breasts.

I stuffed them with spinach, mozz cheese and some pepperoni.  I tied them...and still felt they were going to lose their shape so I also wrapped them in saran before vac. packing them.

P1251113.JPG.d5aae42878556c42ccaa1e54171

P1251114.JPG.793733fe6657ba6a996cd61865f

P1251115.JPG.9988dacacf586ed8f499309d394

I did these at 141F for about 3 1/2 hrs.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

Last night, we ate an experiment a couple days in the making....  skinless chicken thighs marinated in achiote paste (annato, coriander seed, cumin seed, allspice, clove, black pepper, roasted garlic and bitter orange juice).  I marinated in a ziplock so I didn't need that much marinade.  The next day, the thighs were smoked in my stovetop smoker for about 30 minutes with a combination of oak and mesquite, then transferred to a zip lock bag with the marinade and cooked SV at 150F for about 3 hours.  Then chilled in refrigerator until last night for a quick after-work dinner.

Bag was put in a 135F bath for about 40 minutes while finishing prep on the roasted garlic and habanero salsa, and heating the corn tortillas.  Pickled red onion was brought to room temp.

All in all, a great weekday meal... thighs came out juicy and tender, with good achiote and smoke flavor.  There was liquid in the bag - a combination of marinade and chicken juices, which was chilled and frozen, along with extra unused marinade.  The next batch of thighs will be cooked in this liquid making the zip lock de-airing a little easier.  It could also be reduced to a sauce, but I didn't think it needed it.  Maybe as I collect more juices, I can reduce some of it, remove the meat from the bone and toss in the sauce to make even more flavorful... but that's for another time... maybe in a week or two when we try it again.

• Like 3