• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

daveb

NOTE: This continues the discussion in What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 1)

A New Zealand Strip Steak.  The animals are kept on what they call a zero, zero program.  No antibiotics, no hormones, grain fed with no gmo.  Lightly seasoned, and into a 129F bath for 2 hours.   Seared on the little BGE and served.

2015-07-01 20.35.37.jpg

2015-07-01 20.23.10.jpg]

2015-07-01 20.33.03.jpg

2015-07-01 16.31.15.jpg

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)
  • Like 5

I keep my Anova in the bathroom because a) the noise is not a distraction and b) it's super fast to fill it from the bathtub faucet.

I tried cooking in the bathroom once with my anova.  It didn't work so well because the lights started to dim when the thermostat cycled on.  But this gives me an idea.  I've always wanted a temperature regulated bath.  Some people have been known to cook salmon at the same time.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I keep my Anova in the bathroom because a) the noise is not a distraction and b) it's super fast to fill it from the bathtub faucet.

Or clamp it right to the toilet tank. Changing the water will be a snap.

• Like 4

JNW :

I do hope you are Tongue-dans-Cheek re the Anova bath.

for the obvious reasons.

I was serious about cooking with anova in the bathroom and the problem with the electrical load.  I don't mind the hum of water from the anova, and putting it the bathroom freed up much needed counter space in the kitchen.  Unfortunately for the bath application I fear I'd need to go with the pro unit.

• Like 2

How can one be serious about cooking salmon and not want to be with it during the whole process? I had no idea people actually cooked salmon without having it with them in the tub. That would be like not swimming with it before catching it! 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Sitting down after getting six bags of twenty four hour ribs anoving in the bathroom.  Actually I did not have the courage of my convictions.  The flickering lights bothered me enough that I lugged the whole thing back into the kitchen.

This is sad because I was hoping to make ice cream tonight.  Can't do both in the kitchen at the same time.

did a very nice D'Artagnan Wagyu Rib Eye today.

2 hrs approx at 133F, then gave them a quick dry rub (coffee, cumin, salt, paprika) and a sear in cast iron pan.

I also had planks of sweet potatoes in the bath at 145F for a few hours before I started the steak, then into the oven to roast them,

and finished by cubing them and frying with some oil, onions and serrano chiles 

my 'Voltaggio sous vide in the microwave' rainbow carrots

chimichurri

and Vesper 'martinis'

• Like 1

jove used extension cords at times for the SV and the bread machine.

get one that has a lower gauge than the 'regular' thin one most people have.  i.e. thicker.

take a look at your fuse box which will give you an idea of how many and what amp circuits you have.

and don't trip over the cord !

Edited by rotuts (log)

Sounds like there are some practical advantages to the lower wattage consumer circulators, like the 800 watt Anova.

I was thinking this myself!

For the kitchen problem, it not just the number of outlets and the amperage, it's also a limitation of counter space.

Tom Keller's corned beef tongue!  28 days in the corn brine.  24 hours in the pool at 158F.  Skinned. Sliced.  On crackers!  Yum, yum.  Got 600 grams of lean meat off one tongue.  A definite do-over. :wub:

DSC00941.JPGDSC00942.JPGDSC00944.JPGDSC00943.JPG

• Like 7

just yesterday I spotted some beef tongue at my MarketBaskest

they were not giving it away, but i thought  :

Ooooooo  some SV, then some smoke, clean smoke, and paper thin slices.

Ill give it some consideration 

I do not have  slicer, which i think tongue needs.

its a real shame that tongue in no longer in the deli white-bread meat counter.

it would save me a lot of work for a quarterly nice nice sandwich.

BTW  I thought a bit more on your notes on " lean "

I have not had tongue for some time

but the central core of tongue as i remember it is fatty 

and delicious

https://www.google.com/search?q=tongue+for+sandwiches&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2veaVZqJIMu7ggSA4I2IAQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1141&bih=1066&dpr=1.2#imgrc=J-opeEU1J9JtdM%3A

I don't see it here so i guess I do not remember it well.

Edited by rotuts (log)

The tip of the tongue seemed lean which is what I put on the crackers and probably why I wrote 'lean' in my post, but you are correct, as I sliced the rest there was quite a bit of fat on the underside of the tongue.  Looked up the nutritional analysis:  1 oz has 6 grams of fat compared to an ounce of corned beef which has 5 grams of fat  and then there is top sirloin trimmed of fat at 3 grams of fat per ounce.  3 grams of fat per ounce would be considered 'lean' I believe.  At any rate, it was delicious.  We don't see tongue in main stream supermarkets around here.  Our local butcher has them along with lamb neck  :rolleyes: .  This one I got from our Vale Farm that we like so much....grass fed organic beef.

I meant nothing by fat or no fat.

sliced very thin of an sandwich w good fresh bread, and the etc. of you choice it a sandwich to die for

Im glad you were able to resurrect it.

Ill take another peek at those tongues at the Market Basket

but i don't have a slicer which I believe makes something like this better than good  ;  it makes it Great !

• Like 1

Did a bulk sous vide cook of boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1% salt, penzeys mural of flavor and olive oil. 3 hours at 60C, crash cooled and stored some in fridge cold drawer/some in freezer.

Impossibly moist, tons of great chicken flavor for sandwiches, pasta toppings, chicken salads. Will cook this way again and maybe always from now on.

• Like 3