• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

daveb

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

We wanted to see if we could make a good roast beef sandwich....and make the meat deli-like.  I scoured the internet and , of course, found what I was looking for right here on EG .

So, the rest of the top round was cut into two smallish roasts and brined in salt water.  Then I pulled them out, dried them off and put tons of black pepper on.  I mean tons lol.  I put them in at 139F for about 6 1/2 hours (I pulled one roast and tested it at 5 hours and wasn't happy with it.)  I was lazy and should have gotten my meat slicer out so that I could make the meat super thin but I used a knife instead and tried to cut as thinly as possible with losing a finger.  I don't think I could make this cut of meat any more tender by doing it longer.  I just doesn't have enough fat or whatever in there.  Also, it was more like a pastrami.  GOOD, but not roast beefy.  Would like to try again and leave the brining part out.

Anyway, this really hit the spot. I would do this again for sure.  Debating on trying a venison roast.

P2221166.JPG.1c78dd54bc2693580329b324d63

Looks good, but corned beefy more than roast beefy. See in the center, where the brine didn't reach, its still beef colored. Was it a curing salt?  That would account for the pastrami taste.

Just now, gfweb said:

Looks good, but corned beefy more than roast beefy. See in the center, where the brine didn't reach, its still beef colored. Was it a curing salt?  That would account for the pastrami taste.

Yes, definitely more corned than roast beefy.  I used curing salt.  Next time, no salt.  But this did taste really good.  Made a fine pastrami :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yes, definitely more corned than roast beefy.  I used curing salt.  Next time, no salt.  But this did taste really good.  Made a fine pastrami :) 

Or just regular table salt without the nitrate perhaps.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jvalentino said:

Hi Shelby and all. Do you routinely cook meet from frozen sous vide? Other than adding extra time are there any other tips? Thanks!

Frequently cook from frozen and make no adjustments except adding some time.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My favorite sous vide dish right now is chicken breasts wrapped in swiss chard - with a nod to Thomas Keller's recipe from Under Pressure. It makes a beautifully presented dish, wows my guests and is super easy to make. Next time I will take pictures.

• Like 4

I did two more chicken breasts last night.  Took nickrey's advice and reduced the cooking time to about 2 hours. Much more juicy. Breasts were pounded (I did a lot better this time lol) and stuffed with provolone, spinach and salami.  One breast, after chilling, will be put in the freezer for future dinner.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

The other night I could find only "value packs" of chicken thighs at the grocery store.  So I cooked up six sous vide at 65 deg C for two hours and fifteen minutes and made a Paula Wolfert tagine with the remaining three.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hi guys,

I need help. I'm experimenting with SV puddings. Tried a chocolate one yesterday night. The water bath got a little tinged, maybe the lids got a little dirty in the process or some liquid escaped in the water. What to do in these cases?

Also, I thought the jars would go under vacuum, at least with my previous batch, didn't happened.

56ceeabd4fdb1_bonetsv.thumb.JPG.91437ca0

• Like 1

Franci   what temps are you using?

if the water is only slightly tinged, is as you suspect from material outside the sealed container.

of more concern would be water inside the containers, suggesting a leak.

if the containers are sealed before they go in the water, there can never be a vacuum created inside, after cooling.

check the next time each container w water // seal  // upside down to see if the seals leak.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rotuts.

I'm going with the chefsteps 80C temp. The moscato cream I found at 1 hour was ready, for this pudding I kept a little longer, about 1 hour 10 minutes.

I could clearly see bubbles escaping from the jars when I immersed them in water. I'll check for the seal when I have a chance. the one I opened today didn't have any water, just a little bit of condensation on the top lid.

Do you think if I use the regular canning jar and do a fingertip closing (as suggested on Chefsteps) I can create a vacuum? They say they last a week in the fridge, it would be wonderful for me.

My kids went crazy over the moscato d'asti cream (I'm an Italian mom, they are allowed to try :-))))

And just for record, I'll add a picture also here

image.thumb.jpeg.f37431c53e01b5cbe541017

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 6

I use Bormioli Rocco canning jars.  But I have to lay them on their side to fit in my chamber.  If you have a deep enough chamber I would think they would work quite well for sealing puddings sous vide.

You also have to be careful that your pudding doesn't boil and make a mess of the chamber.

Im not sure what you did  Franci

did you pull a vac on the jars somehow before you sealed them ?

or did you just fill, seal, then palace in the water bath ?

to get a final vacuum inside the jars, air at a higher temp than the final temp has to exit the jars, then the jar seals, so that when the temp drops

to room them, no air can get back in the jar, thus a relative vacuum in the jar,

at 80 C for an hour they might be pasteurized, so if the seal holds, they should keep for a time in the refrig independently of a vacuum.

Ah, ah, see, I'm not a science person at all!

I just did the filling, sealing and dropping in water! I get now 80 C is not high enough for the vacuum to form...hi, hi.

I guess I have to finally think about a chamber vacuum machine. But I'm liking cooking SV this stuff, they taste great.

Thanks Jo and Rotuts.

you won't get a vacuum of any kind if the container is sealed before it warms up

pressure will build in the sealed container, but gas will not be released

unless the container breaks. or it never had an intact seal.

Understood. Instead with jams usually you have an hot jam packed in the jars and then the boiling creates that difference in temperature that allows the jars to go under vacuum once the jam cools.

Now my only issues is to determine how long the product stays pasteurized.

Edited by Franci (log)

If you are convinced the item is pasteurized, that as long as any SV pasteurized item

depending on how cold your refrig. is and that the item stays sealed.

Id look up tables for your 80 C and the thickest part of the pudding in the jar to determine pasteurization times

then find the coldest place in the refrig.

done

however, if they are as tasty as they look  they will be long gone well before that date.

yes :

you complete the seal on the jam jars while they are still very hot, having allowed air to escape at the hot temp.

PS  the vacuum in jams and jelly jars and indeed 'canned goods' at the store has nothing to do

with pasteurization.  its used so that you know the jar/can has remained sealed after processing :

you near or feel the hiss of air entering the jar/can  therefore its remained with a tight seal

if you don't hear or feel this as you open the jar/can  you toss it out.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@Franci I believe rotuts and I are speaking of different techniques.  I am talking about sealing food in canning jars using a chamber vacuum sealer, prior to pasteurization.

Here is a link I found (the red text in the section "Vacuum canning jars"):

http://www.dougcare.com/packagingequipment/tablevacuum.htm

I have a small chuck eye roast in the SV at 56C x 24 hours.  I am using a stockpot and have found that one of the  silicone Lillypad lids makes a fine cover to reduce evaporation.  

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

About to put some short ribs, slathered with gochujang, in to go for 48 hours. Then I'll chill them, and finish them off one night next week with a sear in a hot oven. Or on the grill, if this gorgeous weather holds.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com