• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

daveb

I agree, boneless skinless chicken breasts are great for sous vide.  But I find they usually have to be cleaned up a bit before bagging.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

in my area  > 3 lb packs routinely go on sale for 1.99 / lb

some times 1.88, and even 1.77.

at 1.77 I buy in bulk   3 - 4 packs generally that comes down to 15 or so individual ckbr vac packs for SV

i SV in a large beer cooler.

it'd very important as mentioned to get rid of the two tendons, one / muscle 

the smaller muscle   " the tender " has a small 'tube' like tendon, its easy to scrape off w a knife

the large muscle also has a tendon, but its more diffuse.  still scrape the top off towards the muscle then take a boning knife and go under that thin tendon and

scrape it off.

same with the rest the other way

sometimes I partially slice the larger breast muscle, pound w a wine bottle under plastic until flattened out, then stuff, roll up and tie to keep its shape

then in the bag.

fantastic w salami, mortadella, swiss.  w SV most of the cheese stays between the meat

you can stuff w anything  you like.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I got these breasts from restaurant depot, halal for $1.66. Tenderloin off. They're trimmed ok but mechanically separated so a little cleanup helps.

They also come fresh in four 10lb bags, so a little dedication to processing is required on the front end for home use.

• Like 1

I happen to see these at one of my local Supermarkets :  day to day price there for the same thing  : 4.49

these are packed elsewhere and delivered to the local supermarkets in my area   these are not packs at the stores.

the only dif.  is the color of the styro bottom container.

Chicken or turkey breast done SV are revelatory.

Agree. Just did a couple of probably never-frozen ones from my butcher @ 59C then made schnitzel. I also started some BBQ lamb chops (a truly crappy cut of meat) that I'll take out after 24 hours, take the meat off the bones, and throw in with tagine root vegetables.

On a side note the new version of the Anova android app actually works, not that it is very useful.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Tom Keller's corned beef tongue!  28 days in the corn brine.  24 hours in the pool at 158F.  Skinned. Sliced.  On crackers!  Yum, yum.  Got 600 grams of lean meat off one tongue.  A definite do-over. :wub:

attachicon.gifDSC00941.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00942.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00944.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00943.JPG

This I must try.. which Book?

Its good to have Morels

Yesterday I made Paul Prudhomme's lamb jambalaya. I put some of the spice mix on the lamb shoulder cubes that I had browned well then threw it in the pool at 131f for 8 hours. I then added it to the mix just before cooking the rice. This is a great way to make stew type dishes because the meat was nice and juicy but tender. I may even put the meat in after the rice has been in there for 10 minutes next time. Sorry no pics.

• Like 2

Tomahawk pork chops. Marinated in apple cider, ginger, garlic, honey, soy sauce, lemon juice and zest, oil for less than 2 hours. Sous vide for just over an hour at 62C and then quickly seared on the BBQ. Boiled the marinade down for a finishing sauce. The chops were lovely, moist and full of flavour. I'm not sure they needed the marinade, but I don't think it hurt either. Nice that there was a bit of fat on these chops, they were lovely after the sear. 

IMGP4849.JPG

• Like 5

Did beef cheeks for 60h @ 56c and final 12h at 54, finished in cast iron with ghee and served with puree of cauliflower and double extracted jus with persillade and deep fried jerky crisps.

Was good. 

sd97  Im interested in what you think of turkey at 138

I love rare beef, but don't care for turkey < 145 or so for some reason.  maybe 142.5 at the lowest.

while this seems like a small diff. its very noticeable to me.

Edited by rotuts (log)

The tenderloin was quite pink but texture was ok.  After pulling the tenderloin I did some online research and  bumped the temp up to 145 and let it go for a couple more hours.  It's still bagged in the fridge so can't comment on the appearence or texture at the moment.

after removing the tendons on both the Large Muscle and the smaller muscle ( both for Ck. and Turks )

I don't need a 'whole' large turkey Br., so i might cut that in 1/2 or even 1/3'd(s)

and SV at 145 for 4 hours.  rapid chill, and freeze if Im not going to use the meat over the next few weeks.

I then mostly slice it for sandwiches, or cube it for salads and such.

Id like to hear what you think of the meat after a 145 bath.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading off to an island in Maine in a couple of days, where all food needs to be driven and boated in. Last year the aged/sous-vided chuck steak went over so well I'm doing it again. My butcher aged a prime chuck roll for three weeks, and I just brought it home yesterday.

Check out this piece of meat:

Raphaelson-1.jpg

There's 8 lbs of it, after trimming the dried stuff. We only lost about 13% to evaporation and trim.

I cut the steaks to 1.5", seared on both sides, bagged, and then dropped into simmering water for a minute each to pasteurize all the surfaces.

Then a 40°C water bath to pre-cook for 4 hours, and now another 40 or so hours at 55°C.

We'll cart them up to the island in a cooler full of ice. They'll be re-warmed in a pot of water the wood-burning stove, and then seared on a griddle.

Prime steak for 16 people, in the middle of nowhere, for around $80!

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Short ribs, which will go in for a 48-hour cook with a marinade of gochujang, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Think I'll finish them on the grill Saturday night.

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

is this a 'steak?'  i.e. cross-cut on the 8 lbs chunk ?

it looks outstanding.

Yeah, it's basically just a rib or 2 forward from being rib steak. But since it's chuck my butcher sells it for 1/4 the price. He doesn't charge me for the aging (but I pay based on pre-age weight). 

It really is an outstanding hunk of meat ... nicer looking than the one I got last year. The steak in this photo is the best looking of all of them. I love the tiger stripes of marbling. After cooking it may not be possible to know which is this one.

Notes from the underbelly

daveb

Your Chawan Mushi looks very good. Care to share details of the sous vide method?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog