• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

daveb

Chicken breasts with orange marmalade and balsamic vinegar. 2 1/2 hours at 147 F. Chicken will be cubed when done and the liquid will become a sauce. I will serve it over brown rice accompanied by steamed carrots.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 1/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, weedy said:

ah, that's a different reason.

from the stand point of losing enough water in the bath to matter to the cooking itself, I don;t find that even 72 hrs matter much.

but for anything longer than 12, I cover.

to me a 'short cook' is 1-4 hrs.

I cover, not because of losing water but to save energy. I usually cook in a cooler ('Esky' in this country) but any type of cover will keep a warmer air space above the water and will prevent heat loss from the evaporation. It might not be much but I try to do what I can to save energy.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Alaskan salmon with sorrel sauce, cooked directly from frozen with olive oil, lemon and thyme at 50C (122F) for 60 minutes, per the Joule app recommendation for "basic salmon". I made an attempt to crisp the skin at the end which wasn't very successful, but it was succulent anyway.

Salmon with sorrel sauce

Salmon with sorrel sauce

Salmon with sorrel sauce

By the way I have an Anova but I find the Joule app way superior! I love the visual doneness guides by temperature.

• Like 6

Pork loin chops with a dry rub. They'e in the bath and will go 3 1/2 hours at 143 F and then get a quick sear.  I'm thinking of roasting sliced red potatoes with olive oil and fresh roasmary to accompany.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I did chicken breasts today... 145 for 90 mins (only because I had other things to do)

finished with panko breading (egg wash), pan seared to get a crust, then under the broiler with tomato sauce (leftover from yesterday) and thin layers of mozzarella and provolone just to melt.

I do this SV parmigiana at least once every two weeks I'd say

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 5

Yogurt is cooking as I write. I have used 1/2 & 1/2 ie 10% cream as I like high fat yogurt and it is becoming more difficult to find in the grocery store. Love it any time mixed  with fruit or fruit curd as a treat or dessert.

• Like 1

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

I have these Egg Bites on my (distinguished) list of things to try.  They may go to the top of the list since it will make for a great snack/breakfast option for my husband who works from home.  He tends to go out and eat a lot of bad for him food when he is hungry. 

https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/?utm_source=01.+Primary+Marketing+List&utm_campaign=89c7b55802-Egg_Bites_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f33347b916-89c7b55802-99873793&ct=t(Egg_Bites_Email)&goal=0_f33347b916-89c7b55802-99873793&mc_cid=89c7b55802&mc_eid=3ea2862540

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I have these Egg Bites on my (distinguished) list of things to try.  They may go to the top of the list since it will make for a great snack/breakfast option for my husband who works from home.  He tends to go out and eat a lot of bad for him food when he is hungry. 

https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/?utm_source=01.+Primary+Marketing+List&utm_campaign=89c7b55802-Egg_Bites_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f33347b916-89c7b55802-99873793&ct=t(Egg_Bites_Email)&goal=0_f33347b916-89c7b55802-99873793&mc_cid=89c7b55802&mc_eid=3ea2862540

Wow. Looks very doable and adaptable. Looking forward to you report. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Yeah, I got the email too.

They're LCHF so I've been eyeing them with desire.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I did three packages of Wright's bacon last night. One of them is set to be cut up and fried as bacon bits. Some of those bacon bits will go into these, if not this week, then next week.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

LCHF?

Low-Carb High-Fat

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Spinach, onion, cheddar and bacon egg bites.  1 hr @ 172 deg F.  I think I would prefer little lower temp as these were pretty firm.  I won't call them rubbery but not far off.

Sautéed onion, spinach and crumbled spinach in jars.  Other ingredients in the blender.  

IMG_4398.jpg

Jars ready to cook:

IMG_4399.jpg

And done:

IMG_4404.jpg

It came out of the jar OK after I ran a knife around it but a swipe of butter or spray of oil wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 6

Here is the version my daughter came up with with ham, shredded Mexican cheese, and salami (!). I torched it a bit to give it some color but my torch isn't very powerful.

Anova egg bites

Mine was smoked salmon, crème fraiche, shallots, chives, and capers added at the end.

Anova egg bites

Both were cooked for 1 hour at 78C.

We liked them! The texture was nice, not too hard. The only small issue is that they take so long to cook...

Next I would like to try a quiche filling recipe.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, weedy said:

a lot like chawanmushi

it should be fin to try, once I pair it with sufficient carbohydrates to make it fit for consumption <g>

I love chawanmushi but I think the "bites" are different. Well made chawanmushi is so silky it could not be "decanted". It's delicate and lovely and IMHO quite different. The concept, I agree, is similar. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I had one of the leftovers for breakfast this AM.  I wanted to pop it out of the glass jar for quicker heating and found it much more difficult to get it out.  Also a pain to scrub the egg out of the jar so I'll repeat my recommendation to grease the jars first.  

Once out, it reheated nicely in the CSO for 6 min @ 350degF on steam bake.   

I'll try again to see if I can get a softer texture.  I used cream cheese as in the Anova recipe and will try cream or milk instead.   My result -both fresh cooked and reheated - was OK but the texture was kinda like something I'd get on a plane or maybe pick up from an airport Starbucks (surprise, surprise xD)

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Also a pain to scrub the egg out of the jar so I'll repeat my recommendation to grease the jars first.  

I noticed that too. I washed the jars in the dishwasher last night, and they still had a thin layer of egg on them in several spots. I tried scrubbing this morning but that wasn't enough. I had to scrub, soak, scrub, soak, etc to get rid of the remaining egg.

1 hour ago, weedy said:

you're right of course, that chawanmushi is a lot more refined.

this is sort of 'poor man's chawanmushi' ... or 'lazy man's...'

Nope.  Just different.  Oeufs en cocotte are another iteration.  There is enough judgemental thinking going around these days that we don't need to apply it to methods of food prep. xD 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog