• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Purees in Chocolate Recipes

chocofoodie

Hi everyone,

When a chocolate ganache recipe calls for fruit puree, is it supposed to be sweetened or unsweetened? 

I want to try Ewald Notter's raspberry truffle recipe but I couldn't find raspberry puree in the supermarket so I bought frozen raspberries with the intention of making my own puree but I'm not sure if I should sweeten it or not? 

Thanks!! 

I wouldn't bother to sweeten it if you are making your own and you are happy with the flavour of it. The frozen puree manufacturers used to say they added up to10% sugar to help with the freezing process - now it looks like they add sugar and acid to "match the sweetness and acidity of naturally ripened fruit" - but also many are now selling unsweetened purees. 

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I know many people recommend fruit purees by Les Vergers Boiron. I'm having a difficult time sourcing their products (high shipping fees)? I have an Albert Uster Imports warehouse near me, but they only carry fruit purees by Ponthier. Has anyone tried fruit purees by Ponthier? Do you recommend them?

1 hour ago, no10 said:

I know many people recommend fruit purees by Les Vergers Boiron. I'm having a difficult time sourcing their products (high shipping fees)? I have an Albert Uster Imports warehouse near me, but they only carry fruit purees by Ponthier. Has anyone tried fruit purees by Ponthier? Do you recommend them?

That question was discussed in this thread.  I order my chocolate from AUI, and they carry Ponthier purées.  I have been very pleased and see no difference between those and Boiron (same conclusion was reached in the thread to which I referred).  One disadvantage is that AUI has a minimum order of 12 cartons, but the major advantage is that shipping is free (if I meet their minimum--which is hard NOT to do when buying chocolate!).  The overnight shipping from Florida (the closest warehouses that carry other brands) is horrible.  AUI also has great customer service.  Some of the flavors I ordered recently were out of stock in the Maryland warehouse and so were sent from Florida.  All were in the process of melting or were totally melted because an employee "pushed the wrong button for method of shipment."  They told me to throw away the entire first shipment and sent another one in a day.  I must add that it nearly killed me to throw away that first shipment.  I was reasonably sure the purées were fine to eat but decided not to take any chances with customers.  Because of having to meet the minimum, I experimented with flavors I had never had before, such as guava.  Unfortunately it was out of stock for the replacement shipment, but I decided to taste the melted guava and loved it--and am still alive.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the information, @Jim D., and thanks for pointing me to that thread! 😅

I didn't realize that AUI has a minimum order of 12 cartons. Probably why their website requires you to place orders for Ponthier puree by calling Customer Service? That's a little unfortunate given that I'm only a hobbyist and wouldn't be able to store 12 cartons of puree in my home kitchen's freezer.

That's okay, though. AUI has other great products to offer that don't seem to require purchasing in bulk haha. Maybe this is a good opportunity for me to try Felchlin chocolate. I've only used Callebaut and Valrhona chocolate. I have a distribution center near me, so I was planning on picking up my order in person to avoid shipping fees, but now that I look at their website again, it isn't clear if pick-up is actually free. I'll call Customer Service and ask.

Thank you again.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 1.12.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 1.19.55 PM.png

58 minutes ago, no10 said:

Thank you for all the information, @Jim D., and thanks for pointing me to that thread! 😅

I didn't realize that AUI has a minimum order of 12 cartons. Probably why their website requires you to place orders for Ponthier puree by calling Customer Service? That's a little unfortunate given that I'm only a hobbyist and wouldn't be able to store 12 cartons of puree in my home kitchen's freezer.

That's okay, though. AUI has other great products to offer that don't seem to require purchasing in bulk haha. Maybe this is a good opportunity for me to try Felchlin chocolate. I've only used Callebaut and Valrhona chocolate. I have a distribution center near me, so I was planning on picking up my order in person to avoid shipping fees, but now that I look at their website again, it isn't clear if pick-up is actually free. I'll call Customer Service and ask.

Thank you again.

Perhaps there isn't a minimum for pickups.  I would be surprised if there is a charge for in-person pickup.

I cannot say enough positive about Felchlin chocolates.  Once I tasted Maracaibo Clasificado, I was hooked.  And Créole is the best milk I have tasted (thanks again, @pastrygirlfor that suggestion).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, no10 said:

Thank you again.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 1.12.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 1.19.55 PM.png

Talk to your rep at AUI. It’s been a while since I bought something from them but when I took advantage of counter service/pickup they were willing to sell 1 kg of frozen purée. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, Jim D. said:

That question was discussed in this thread.  I order my chocolate from AUI, and they carry Ponthier purées.  I have been very pleased and see no difference between those and Boiron (same conclusion was reached in the thread to which I referred).  One disadvantage is that AUI has a minimum order of 12 cartons, but the major advantage is that shipping is free (if I meet their minimum--which is hard NOT to do when buying chocolate!).  The overnight shipping from Florida (the closest warehouses that carry other brands) is horrible.  AUI also has great customer service.  Some of the flavors I ordered recently were out of stock in the Maryland warehouse and so were sent from Florida.  All were in the process of melting or were totally melted because an employee "pushed the wrong button for method of shipment."  They told me to throw away the entire first shipment and sent another one in a day.  I must add that it nearly killed me to throw away that first shipment.  I was reasonably sure the purées were fine to eat but decided not to take any chances with customers.  Because of having to meet the minimum, I experimented with flavors I had never had before, such as guava.  Unfortunately it was out of stock for the replacement shipment, but I decided to taste the melted guava and loved it--and am still alive.

@Jim D., I noticed that for a given fruit, AUI carries a "100% fruit" version and a "sweetened" version. When you say that you "have been very pleased and see no difference between those [Ponthier] and Boiron" are you referring to the "100% fruit" version or the "sweetened" version of Ponthier purees?

2 hours ago, no10 said:

@Jim D., I noticed that for a given fruit, AUI carries a "100% fruit" version and a "sweetened" version. When you say that you "have been very pleased and see no difference between those [Ponthier] and Boiron" are you referring to the "100% fruit" version or the "sweetened" version of Ponthier purees?

I meant I see no difference in qualitytaste.  When Ponthier offers both an unsweetened and a sweetened version, I always buy the unsweetened one on the theory that a lot of sugar from other sources is added to whatever I am making.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, no10 said:

I just placed my first order from AUI!

There is no fee for in-person pickup, and there is no minimum quantity to purchase the Ponthier fruit purees. Thank you for the help, @Jim D.and @curls! I'm super excited to pick up my items! :D

Now I envy you being so close to AUI.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Yes, just yesterday I spoke to someone about the "rush-hour" traffic in Staunton.  Here we put the phrase in quotation marks.  So what are you still doing up there in the chaos?

Waiting for it to get cool enough to make chocolates!  🙂

Not planning to move until my husband and I are ready to retire from our current full time jobs. During non pandemic times it is nice to be near restaurants, museums, universities, airports, Chef’s Warehouse, AUI, and all the people who are drawn to a major metropolitan area.

• Like 1