• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken and Eggs and Bird Flu

• 2 months later...

Egg prices seem to be normalizing.

I was in Trader Joe's last night and a dozen large was priced at $2.79. So maybe the shortage due to the bird flu is over?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

in my area, at Market Basket, they were running 1.49 - 1.89 pre-flu.  you paid 10 - 20 cents more for the brown eggs, which are the traditional N.E.Egg.

tastes the same BTW.

now they whites are 2.89, but often 2.49.

i know nothing of supply.

maybe they hope the customer has gotten used to paying a buck more. or less.

• 5 months later...

they seem to have 'over-planted' Chickens and Eggs post the bird-Flu.

in my area for several weeks eggs at MarketBasket have returned to 1.49

and now Ive noticed that are that price at Trader Joes.

re-the chickens themselves :   In my area, skinless, boneless CkBr's oscillate  on sale, and the strike price is  $ 1.77 for > 3lbs

these I use for stuffing w various things, rolling up etc , or plain etc then bulk SV.

currently they are around for $ 1.59 > 3 lbs.

whole chicken 'roasters' have appeared for $ 0.79.  various sizes.  Non-Brand name  ( non Frank Perdue's )

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

One of the nice things about living in a small city in the South, surrounded by farms -- I've just connected with a lady who will bring to my door a dozen farm-fresh eggs every week, and extra when I ask (like next week, as we will be deviling eggs!) -- for the stunningly low price of $2.50 a dozen. I felt almost guilty paying for them this morning. $2.50 -- delivered! -- almost beyond belief.

For farm-fresh eggs, I'll take my chances with bird flu.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I just paid $1.50 for jumbo brown eggs from our local Amish.  Beautiful, bright yellow orange yolks.   The eggs are so big that the carton can't be closed without using tape.  I like brown eggs for hard boiling.  Easy to see if you missed a bit of shell.

• Like 3

Eggs today here: $3.49/doz, not organic, nowhere near fresh. $4.99/18 pack large.

Chickens: on special today: $3.99/lb whole. These never saw a range, much less walked freely upon one. Breasts and thighs: $3.49/bone in. $4.99/boneless. Rotisserie: $10:99 (plus 15% tax).

Only mitigating circumstances: 1) in Can $ and 2) antibiotic free as all must be these days in Canada I believe (but still with hormones which affect me, well after my natural ones died).

• Like 1