• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide rescue please

TdeV

I had something labelled brisket which was 4+ inches thick. I cooked sous vide for 48 hours at 131F. To my surprise the interior was heavily fatty. From some reading on egullet, this may be a deckle.

I was really hungry so I ate some anyway, but I don't know what to do with the rest.

Put it back in the cooker at 145F? 157F? And for how long?

Ideas welcome.

I guess my first question would be what was it like when you ate what you ate today? Was it tender, tough, etc.? That's the first place to start to determine what type of cooking you want to do to it now. Also what do you want to use the finished product for? Do you want to slice it does serve as a meal or sandwiches or do you want to pull it for sandwiches? That will also help determine what type of additional cooking you should do.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Sounds like you got brisket point the fat side. Cut it into cubes and glaze, finish in a 250-350 oven for a couple hours.

If you do it with BBQ sauce in a smoker this is what has become known as burnt ends although not exactly the same as the actual burnt ends of a smoked brisket that were the origin of that term.

It was quite tough when we ate it the first day.

The "fat" is not just fat, there's some connective tissue which didn't break down at the low sous vide temp. It can't be cut off very easily because there's not much meat in between the tissue.

try 140 - 145 and review the Corned Beef thread

a lot if info there.

and review the differences between the Point and the Flat.

you're on your way !

keep notes that you can refer back to is very helpful

• Like 2

I've been reviewing A corned beef thread, but I don't know if it's the right one. (It's about a brave chef in Vancouver doing a taste-test experiment in making corned beef... in 2003).

What am I supposed to be finding out?

Oops! Rotuts, I see I started that discussion in 2013 but didn't find it in my google search for corned beef. The one I was looking at was started in 2003 (not by me).

So, 145F for 24 hours

BUT my brisket has already cooked 56 hours at 131F

So what would you do additonally? The full 24 hours?

Edited for clarity.

Edited by TdeV (log)

I did 24 hours at 145F. The connective tissue was soft. It was easy to pull the meat away from the fat.

But there's way too much fat. I'm going to investigate what temp to cook the rest tomorrow, so as to melt the fat.

you won't be able to melt the fat at temps you want to cook the meat to.

cut it off.  review the CB thread.  there are some interesting things you can to w the fat mentioned on that thread.

the temp. that melts the fat kills the meat

its just that way

have you taken a peek at the SV thread ?

please do

the fat you cut off 

you can dump

or do the 'crackling' thing mentioned there.

Brisket point and short ribs will just be too fatty for some people's tastes unless cooked to over 180F.

Try brisket flat or even chuck steak instead for the sows ear to silk purse effect.

Or try pairing with a very acidic sauce or wine.

• Like 1