• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The World Atlas of Coffee"

rotuts

Ive been roasting my own coffee from SweetMaria's for over 10 years.  90 % of the time I make espresso with my

AlexiaPID and K3 grinder.  otherwise drip.  each technique gets its own blend of green beans and roasting technique and final temp.

I have a few books on coffee and noticed this book at my library with the "New" display :

www.amazon.com/dp/1770854703/ref=nosim/?tag=egulletsociety-20

its a very nice book.

Maybe your library has it ?

its a very nice book.

Maybe your library has it ?

It indeed does -- eight copies in our regional library system! I just requested it. Thanks for the recommendation.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I learned a great deal about various areas that grow coffee, esp. the ones I buy from via Sweetmaria.

their 'brew'section is first rate also.

since its clear i pretty much know everything about coffee (  :blink: ) I was pleasantly surprised.

:laugh:

Edited by rotuts (log)

the brewing section is for those of us that don't know everything as we know we do.

however, they do say you put the french press on a digital scale as you add the hot water.

they also add that after you stir the 'crust' that sits on the top of the brew so it falls to the bottom,

you remove any and all foam that remains on the top before you 'press'

you can take that or leave it.

its the only place ive seen that mentioned.

they also do pour-overs into a glass container/jug that looks like its a single + a little serving.

also on a scale .

etc

better go to a book store or library and take a look.

no Huffing and Puffing without taking a look

:raz:

My daughter's partner is a coffee roaster whose senior partner in business just won the World Barista Championship in Seattle. We went away recently and he used the french-press method outlined above. The scale he used is linked to an iPhone to give perfect timing as well as weight. Removing the foam apparently removes some bitterness.

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Another Lord Kelvin moment?

"There is nothing new to be discovered in [coffee] now. All that remains is more and more precise [stubbornness]"  :wink:

There's no future in coffee!  :wink:

Thanks for the thread, rotuts.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

nickrey ;

thanks for that link

although in the book they use a different scale for both the Press and the Drip, 

the drip carafe / little jug shown on the link is the same one that's in the book on page 79 !

I gotta find that combo !

I knew something wasn't quite right with my Drip ! its that carafe !

[ so where to I find it ? ]

the book was published in 2014, probably before there was   An App of That.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I use a scale to weigh beans.

I use a measuring cup to, well, measure water. 

Does the book at least mention freshly roasted, freshly ground, good water?

Cause if it doesn't mention good water, then it's garbage.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

more about water than Ive ever seen

" guidelines for the perfect water for coffee brewing "

table w 8 characteristics to look for

grinding also good

home roasting OK but could be better

this book is not about home roasting but mentioned is as worth looking into   2 pages.

also :

under " grinding "

re true espresso :

"because grind size is so important in espresso  - variations of a few hundredths [ ed: my emphasis ] of a millimeter make a difference -

it is important to buy a burr grinder designed for espresso "

this is very true : the " a few hundredths of a millimeter "

the perfect grind varies day to day by this minimal amount as the coffee ages.  you will only notice this if you have

very fresh beans, a 'higher-end' espresso machine and a bottom-less pota-filter.

you see these minute grind differenced in the width of the 'stream'   :huh:

this may have been mentioned in lots of other places, I catn' really say.  its mentioned here, and its very very important and

id bet often overlooked.  you do need a very good espresso machine and a bottomless port-filter, and keen powers of observation,

often before you have had any coffee in the bleary hours of the early AM .

that's what this book offers if you read it closely.

" how do i make better coffee " threads : lookie here, hopefully via your library's copy.

:biggrin:

re: characteristics of water  : one is " color ", one is 'odor'   important to mention but ....

so 6 characteristics and two free-bies.

Edited by rotuts (log)

anything less than a Silvia and a Rocky doesn't get you into the Espresso Club.

my system is more or less the next step up after using a Silvia system for 5 years.

it took me a few months to notice the subtle stream issues and how a micron adjustment changed that for the better

i was very surprised. based on the mechanics of the K3  a mm 'twist has to change the grind by almost nothing

but had dramatic effects on " The Cup "

With a silvia and a rocky, trust me, I know from grind size!!!!!!!

I also know about the width of the stream...but that may be related to aging, or something.

LOL

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow