• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guidance for a New Orleans Newbie

My wife and I will be headed to New Orleans for a few days to celebrate our anniversary in a couple of weeks.

I've loved all the 'creole' and 'cajun' food I've ever had, but it's always been somewhere that it's non-native.

We are street food and casual food lovers, we like to eat lots of different, small things.

What are some specific dishes we must try in NO, and maybe some 'can't miss' hot spots we should aim for?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

We're no NOLA experts by any stretch of the imagination, but Ms. Alex is a huge fan of Herbsaint, on St. Charles.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

PastaMeshugana,

I haven't been to New Orleans in decades, but this is definitely the right idea IMO for a second honeymoon/anniversary.

My first honeymoon took place in New Orleans, and will be in my memory at least until I leave this world, and perhaps beyond. My new husband booked us into the Royal Orleans Hotel, but after the first night, I insisted we stay somewhere else after I found out how much it cost, ever thrifty. It was only $80 back then, but I still remember it as the only place I ever stayed that actually put mints on your pillow like you see in the movies. Lovely fresh flower arrangements! Apparently, it's been taken over by the Omni chain now, so no idea what it's like now. Just sharing very old memories. It's only doubled in price for the cheapest rooms, so maybe not such a bad deal, I dunno.

I also will never forget the Cafe du Monde after the bars. The one near the French Quarter's still open 24 hours, and only serves beignets and cafe au lait. Some say it's a tourist trap, but I still treasure my memory of it, and made us beignets for breakfast after we got home for many years.

The seafood is really great in NO. I especially love the shrimp po boys. I've no idea where the best place to get them anymore is, but I hope some folks more familiar with modern NO will jump in and help you out.

I hope you and your wife can make some memories that you will cherish as much as I do mine.  :smile:

> ^ . . ^ <

Here's some must-eat dishes for you

oyster or shrimp po-boy from Mother's or Domelise's

gumbo

mufalletta sandwich from central grocery

hot boiled crawfish (season still on until August)

Etouffee

Take the streetcar down to cooter brown's for a big mess of fresh oysters and hundreds of beers available

For restaurants, Cochon, Muriel's Jackson Square, any of the Besh restaurants (Luke, August) are some of my favorites.

If you've got street transportation you can get outside New Orleans proper to some of the outlying Vietnamese communities for fantastic viet food.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the great tips - we've already bookmarked several of them and are putting an itinerary together.

Our last anniversary was in NYC, and still get wistful talking about it.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Personal favorites: shrimp and grits at Mr. B's Bistro; chargrilled oysters at Acme or Felix's; the aforementioned shrimp po'boys at Mother's and the beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde. Soft-shell crab at Antoine's. Friday lunch at Galatoire's, if you can get in. No reservations, and there is ALWAYS a line.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com