• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GQ essay re Jacques Pepin interaction

heidih

I enjoyed this recent article about the author's life changing moment with Jacques Pepin.  The sharing of joie de vivre (tempered with a heck of a lot of hard work)

"Here is the story of The Day Jacques Pépin Saved My Life. That’s how I tell it, anyway —at parties, over dinner, on those occasions when a friend finds himself drowning in his own life and I’m cast as an unlikely dispenser of wisdom."

http://www.gq.com/story/food-and-life

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 11

great article but this especially entertained me.  

"    "I've been in restaurants where they bring over a carrot and say ‘This carrot was born the ninth of September. His name is Jean-Marie…' Just give me the goddamned carrot!'" Young chefs, he said, had become overly concerned with self-expression. Nouvelle cuisine had been about many things: fresher ingredients, new techniques, a sensitivity to place and season, healthier preparations, creativity, innovation. Out of all those mandates, chefs sometimes seemed to have only heard the final two. "That's how you wind up with a slice of rock salt in a bowl of raspberry ice cream," he said.  "

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I have grown to adore him and his cooking philosophy. Thank you for the link to the article.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I really liked this one of JP's home kitchen design tips from that article, "there should be good light, good music and a good view, if possible, and a place for your guests to perch to drink wine and watch you work."

Unfortunately, I've only got the music part sorted out thus far :laugh:!