• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Great dishes!

How do you clean the sand out from the inside of the bok choy.

They tend to be very sandy.

dcarch

Thanks, dcarch.

Looks like I didn't answer you!  Apologies.

I simply soak/float them in a tub of water with plenty of "depth" of water beneath the plants, swish them around a bit; then wash them plant-by-plant under a moderately slow-running tap, parting the leaves down to the stem as needed or if needed. (There's usually not that many plants each time when I find I need to do similar things)

Faroe Islands salmon (skin on, de-scaled) steamed w/ sea salt, ground black pepper, rice bran oil, chopped celery inner leaves/stalks, fresh lemon juice.  Yum.

DSCN6082a_800.jpg

Dragon Tongue beans (french-cut) sautéed then simmered down w/ sliced garlic & shallots in EV olive oil, de-skinned chopped-up Japanese Trifele tomatoes, halved unpeeled straw mushrooms (canned), fresh basil; plus a bit of sugar & a splash of vinegar. Seasoning adjusted. Eaten w/ angel hair pasta [De Cecco].

DSCN6084b_800.jpg

• Like 3

Wow  Soooo  Wow

I do love Chinon as I spent several months in Tours while my parents were teaching there in mid '80's

FF = 11 to the dollar !

and indeed  I had several dishes that were very Touraine :

including various rilletttes from the market place and

a regional chicken dish that included the chicken's blood in the 'sauce'

thanks for showing me a bottle of Chinon again !

Steamed cod loin, eaten alongside some boiled potatoes and a plain salad (chervil, "lamb's lettuce", samphire, radishes, tomatoes). Roe and samphire provided all the salt. I always have some kind of green herb in olive oil so I did drizzle some on the fish before digging in.

GY2y2Aw.jpg

oYvMLD6.jpg

Same food, different plates for contrast.

7n2bioU.jpg

• Like 9

Edible amaranth in chicken broth w/ some garlic.

DSCN6099b_800.jpg

Fresh shrimp, hot pan, hot oil, sea salt, white pepper, black pepper.  Scallions as garnish.

DSCN6095b_800.jpg

The shrimp were bought live and brought home swimming in a bucket of water.

White rice.

• Like 4

Hi, my first time posting on this thread. Very nice to meet you all and love reading about your creations.

Tonight I made hake SV with tempura mussels topped w/ smoked paprika and a sauce based on MCAH fish stock reduced with black garlic.

uploadfromtaptalk1440882395417.jpg

It's my first time making tempura (ISI whip) and as you can see, it stuck a little together. However, it was very tasty and I'll definitely make this again...

• Like 8

Hi, my first time posting on this thread. Very nice to meet you all and love reading about your creations.

Tonight I made hake SV with tempura mussels topped w/ smoked paprika and a sauce based on MCAH fish stock reduced with black garlic.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150829_220446.jpg

It's my first time making tempura (ISI whip) and as you can see, it stuck a little together. However, it was very tasty and I'll definitely make this again...

Welcome to the finest online community ever. Lovely dish.........but what part do the three toes play in it's presentation. :wink:  :wink:  :biggrin: . I too would like to hear about the plate. Your doing better than I, as I've never posted an image, so well done. D

• Like 3

Yesterday's farmer's market had Thai chiles available and I just happened to have some fresh local walleye on hand so I introduced them to each other via crispy fish with spicy garlic sauce. According to the recipe, "pla kapong keemao" should involve using a whole fish... but I didn't. The sauce consists of the chiles, garlic, scallions, cilantro, basil, kaffir lime leaf, fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar and black pepper. Regardless of the liberties taken with authenticity, it was tasty.

thai%20fish_zpsmkvznycp.jpg

• Like 10

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Miscellaneous meals made from leftovers augmented w/ new stuff.

Lettuce fried rice w/ green/purple yard-long beans, scallions, egg, etc.

DSCN6053b_800.jpg

Dragon Tongue beans w/ Japanese Trifele tomatoes, shallots, garlic, unpeeled straw mushrooms (canned), basil, sauces, etc; with soba noodles, couple of fried eggs & coriander leaves.

DSCN6087a_800.jpg

Fried rice w/ the pan residues from pan-frying fresh shrimp w/ oil, salt, pepper, plus scallions; with a couple eggs scrambled in and into the rice during the prep; plus residual shrimps. This was really good.

DSCN6107b_800.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks all for the warm welcome! Really appreciate it...

The toes are mine. Cannot be eaten :-)

I had to look up the plates, as they were given as a gift from in-laws.

Apparently they're part of a homage to Eduardo Chillida, a renowned basque sculptor. The plates are from the museum dedicated to his work in San Sebastian.

Host's note: this delicious topic is continued in Dinner 2015 (Part 5).

• Like 5