• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Your fish cakes look great, liamsaunt, but I am really intrigued by the bowl you served the rice in.

The bowl is handmade by a ceramicist on an island that I visit frequently for vacations.  I usually pick up a piece or two every visit.  I have a collection of his serving pieces, as well as some tableware and lighting fixtures.  You can see some of his work here:  http://donaldschnell.com/studio/

• Like 2

Inspired by Kim's Indiana visit, I decided I wanted pork tenderloin/cutlets; I recall when I'd get tonkatsu in Tokyo and how much I loved them. So I took a couple of pork loin chops I'd carved off a whole loin and frozen, and set to pounding them thin. My meat mallet is perhaps a little weak for the job, and/or my arms are out of shape, but I eventually got them to about 3/8 inch thickness (from about 1 inch), and then floured, dipped in egg/milk wash, and breaded them in crumbs for frying. Whereupon they "drew up," as my Grandmama would have said, back to something thicker than 1/2 inch but at least thinner than when I started. They were, though, quite crispy on the outside, and tender and moist within, so I'll call it a win. 

more veggies 0701.JPG

Veggies were creamed fresh corn and purple hulled peas warmed over from the previous night, and new potatoes poached in butter and cream. And, of course, sliced tomatoes, a three-times-a-day staple this time of year. These were Cherokee Purples.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I started out with a couple recipes I wanted to try, then kept adding stuff until before i knew it, I had a holiday sized meal.  It all started when i saw Liuzhou's mushroom recipe and wanted to try it.  Then Cassie sent me a potato recipe.  I wanted to do beans and ham hocks but wondered how it would be to treat the hocks like a whole ham and glaze it after it was cooked.  Then I thought about turning the boiled navy beans into baked beans. i added Shirley Corrihier's  Fluffy Biscuits and a coleslaw made with apples instead of cabbage.  We will have left overs for a while. Charlie already gave some to the neighbors.

DSCN2698_zpsnxth3ocr.jpg

DSCN2701_zps8icco639.jpg

• Like 12

Norm, I love your 'community' approach to cooking!   :smile:

I started out with a couple recipes I wanted to try, then kept adding stuff until before i knew it, I had a holiday sized meal.  It all started when i saw Liuzhou's mushroom recipe and wanted to try it.  Then Cassie sent me a potato recipe.  I wanted to do beans and ham hocks but wondered how it would be to treat the hocks like a whole ham and glaze it after it was cooked.  Then I thought about turning the boiled navy beans into baked beans. i added Shirley Corrihier's  Fluffy Biscuits and a coleslaw made with apples instead of cabbage.  We will have left overs for a while. Charlie already gave some to the neighbors.

• Like 4

Clams bulhao pato.  This recipe was in the Sunday magazine of my local newspaper.  Sometimes their recipes are hit and miss, but this one was really tasty, and only took a couple of minutes to make.

clsms bulhao pato.jpg

• Like 12

Liamsaunt, Oh My!!! it is just after 6:00 am and I want clams.     Great photo.  I'm imagining sopping up all that wonderful broth with that bread.    

We had an Indian curry dinner.

Chicken%20Curry%20July%201st%2C%202015%2

A simple chicken curry with potatoes, lentils, basmati rice and homemade chapati.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 8

Happy belated Canada Day to all of my friend up north  :smile:

And, to all of my US friends, Happy 4th!!!  I figure a lot of you are taking tomorrow off and making a long weekend.  I used to hate it when the 4th landed on a Saturday or Sunday.  No extra day off for me.  We had big plans to do ribs and seafood etc. but that's gonna be hard to do as we don't have any lol.  Somewhere around here there is a 4th of July thread.  I'll have to find that and get some inspiration.

Ann--I'm definitely making your warm Caprese salad when I get some good tomatoes.  That sounds sooooo good.

Dcarch--That shrimp and tofu dish grabbed me.  

TFTC--I haven't had crepes for years and years.  And years.  Your savory ones made my mouth water.  

Not great pictures but you get the drift.

Ann's wings, sauteed zukes and taters

photo 1.JPG

Had some leftover venison steak so I made some quesadillas.

photo 3.JPG

Edited to say that the beans up there are Rancho Gordo and I can't remember the name of them.  They are the best beans I've ever had.  Super creamy inside.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 5

"Churrasco Completo" is one of Chile's iconic sandwiches. Instead of mayo (Chileans tend to use the entire jar of it, it seems) I made a sauce with feta, quark, garlic, herbs.  Kebab spice was used to season the steaks.

yfMvVJs.jpg

ld5TJZO.jpg

• Like 6

scamhi, wow and WOW again.  What a great idea for a party.  How big is that pan if I may ask?

Ann_T, your breads look nice and light.  Do you use Atta flour or a combo of whole wheat and white?   The latter is my favourite combo.  Don't care for the texture that Atta flour gives them.

Shelby, now where oh where could you have gotten those zuke's?   :raz:

• Like 2

scamhi, wow and WOW again.  What a great idea for a party.  How big is that pan if I may ask?

Ann_T, your breads look nice and light.  Do you use Atta flour or a combo of whole wheat and white?   The latter is my favourite combo.  Don't care for the texture that Atta flour gives them.

Shelby, now where oh where could you have gotten those zuke's?   :raz:

the pan is 36" diameter with a thin rice base it serves 40. with a thicker rice it can serve up to 70. We used 10lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs, 10lbs wild shrimp, 90 littleneck clams and 13-3/4 cups of bomba rice

• Like 5

Couple of meals.

Fuzzy gourd (a.k.a. Hairy gourd/melon, chit-kua, mou-kua, etc) with garlic, oil, (pre-soaked) dried shrimp (har mai), fresh wood-ear fungus, cellophane noodles (mung bean noodles), chicken stock; cooked down.

DSCN5394a_800.jpg

Cantonese roast duck [via Asia Mart] & Chinese sausages (lap cheong) steamed with/cooked with white rice (stove top), drizzled w/ double-fermented soy sauce & a few spoonfuls of taucheo (without the marinating liquid) after absorption of the cooking water.  Scallions.  Peppermint Swiss chard simmered in chicken stock w/ a bit of oil added in.

DSCN5397a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Liuzhou--I love chicken livers and I don't eat near enough of them.  Need to rectify that.

My collard greens are going great guns in the garden.

photo 1.JPG

Was hungry for cornbread.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

So that meant we needed red beans, andouille and rice to go with.  I like a lot of fresh onion and a glug of red wine vinegar on mine :)

photo 4.JPG

• Like 6

Shelby, do you do hot water corn bread?  I myself like hot water corn bread.  In contrast, standard corn bread is not something I hanker for although I will eat it.

Edited by huiray (log)

Shelby, do you do hot water corn bread?  I myself like hot water corn bread.  In contrast, standard corn bread is not something I hanker for although I will eat it.

No, mine isn't hot water.  I put rendered lard in a cast iron and throw it in the oven while it's heating up.  Then I make my cornbread.  When the oven is at 450 degrees I pour the batter in and bake it for 20 mins.  The lard gives it a great flavor.  I've also used bacon grease.  

Edited to add that my go-to cornbread isn't sweet at all.  I like a savory one.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

clb.jpg

Got home late and hungry. This is one of the quickest dinners I know how to cook. Cheapest, too.

Chicken livers, bacon, garlic, shallots, green chilli, Chinese chives. Served with couscous.

Damn I love chicken livers. But like any organ meat they rarely appear in my local supermarkets. They are obviously available at specialty places why oh why have they disappeared from where most people shop? I think we have become a nation of squeamish wussies but even that doesn't make sense. We are also a nation of diverse cultures many of whom still enjoy organ meats. I will toss aside all other meal plans if I spot beef or chicken liver in the meat case.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Damn I love chicken livers. But like any organ meat they rarely appear in my local supermarkets. They are obviously available at specialty places why oh why have they disappeared from where most people shop? I think we have become a nation of squeamish wussies but even that doesn't make sense. We are also a nation of diverse cultures many of whom still enjoy organ meats. I will toss aside all other meal plans if I spot beef or chicken liver in the meat case.

Fortunately not a problem here. Every  part of poultry is available here in every supermarket. Chicken liver, and heart. Ditto duck, Gizzards. Goose intestines.

Fish livers.

Pork and beef liver and kidney is everywhere, too. Unfortunately they very seldom do lamb offal in this part of China. I love lamb's liver. Never seen calves liver either. Or any form of veal.

But there are the intestines and tripe and unidentified frying objects. Brains, tongue.

Offal heaven.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto