• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

I recently made the deconstructed everything bagel salmon from Chefsteps. This was no joke the best salmon recipe I've ever prepared. The salmon was brined in a smokey brine, then dry rubbed prior to cooking en sous vide for 30 minutes at 113 F. It was served with an everything bagel crumble, warm cream cheese, pickled pearl onions, and tarragon.

tumblr_ntgnpniR2T1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 13

• Beef short ribs (from farmers' market) slow-braised (stovetop) w/ lots of garlic lightly browned in rice bran oil, crushed white peppercorns, mutenka shiro miso, fermented tofu ("wet bean curd" in rice wine &etc), Chinese "tea flower" mushrooms, daikon. With water too, of course.

• Ong choy (a.k.a. kangkong, water morning glory, etc) stir-fried w/ garlic, peanut oil, oyster sauce & Bulldog sauce.

• White rice.

DSCN6014b_800.jpg

• Like 1

image.jpg

Leek, bacon and Boursin pasta dish.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

did you use the Boursin as part of the sauce and creamy ness of the dish ?

ive used Tj's 'silver goat'  mixed just with a tinny bit of water to get  " creamy ' and it has suited me

this one 

http://www.traderjoesfan.com/component/mtree/products/dairy_case/silver_goat_chevre/

bad pic, sorry   but Im very much interested in the Boursin as a replacement.

Im making that down as it sure does talk to me !

Kudos your way, Anna N !

did you use the Boursin as part of the sauce and creamy ness of the dish ?

ive used Tj's 'silver goat'  mixed just with a tinny bit of water to get  " creamy ' and it has suited me

this one 

http://www.traderjoesfan.com/component/mtree/products/dairy_case/silver_goat_chevre/

bad pic, sorry   but Im very much interested in the Boursin as a replacement.

Im making that down as it sure does talk to me !

Kudos your way, Anna N !

Cannot accept undeserved kudos. I riffed off this recipe.
  • Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

FauxPas, those strawberries are so red and pretty!  

Lettuce wraps, spring rolls and a rice noodle salad last night.  Noodle salad recipe from Smitten Kitchen .  I don't think I used enough oil...and I didn't have sesame seed oil so I used plain olive, but this was good.  The sauce/dressing was a hit.  Cukes were nice and cool against the heat.  I used a lot of Siracha --more than what she called for.

P8220647.JPG

P8220648.JPG

P8220649.JPG

P8220651.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 6

Johnnybird is on one of his limited food kicks for right now:

for dinner he wants pasta, pasta and more pasta ......or bison burgers.

The pasta may be tossed with basil walnut pesto; mixed with sautéed onion and red peppers, sautéed bison and tomatoes; shrimp and an Asian dressing with fresh tomatoes are good too.

I've been sneaking in meatballs (since it has now cooled down a bit).

There is also vege pizza in the fridge for snacking between those first and second dinners.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpg

Since I have only myself to please, I pleased myself. Asian-inspired chicken balls, homemade pickled ginger and the cucumber salad from Food that Really Schmecks. The photo looks a little blurry but I assure you I was quite sober.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I made a shepherds pie tonight. No picks but ground a hunk of lamb leg for the dish. Basic comfort food! Hits the spot at times

Hard to beat a shepherd's pie for comfort food.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My dinners are not worthy of this thread but I snapped a picture tonight so you shall see it.

Missing my mom, who passed away recently, I made one of her favorite summer suppers:

momsmac.jpg

Chicken macaroni salad (elbows, leftover Zuni Cafe recipe roasted chicken tossed with mayo, onions, celery, bell pepper and olives), corn on the cob and a slice of bread subbing for the Parker House roll that should be with this meal.  Simple food and good memories!

• Like 14

Bacino Bolognese!!

Carrots/celery/garden onions/ ground chuck & neck bone meat/ garlic/deglace with vermouth/ add whole milk cook/  three different tomato based ingredients 

20150823_152335_20641227069_o.jpg

Going for Zucchini Noodles with this..  salted and pressed over night

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 6

Its good to have Morels

Had to google Longan.  Similar to the lychee.  YUM.  I've only had canned lychee....I'm positive that fresh is a zillion times better.  And your rice looks good too :)

Paul, I love bolognese.  I made one a while back with goose and chicken and livers and I forget what else.  Need to do that again.  Seems like the days are already cooling off a bit here....fall is poking it's head in the door already.

BlueDolphin, what a beautiful meal and love that blue plate!  I bet your mom was smiling down.

Ever since Kerry and Anna's (thank you both for sharing the recipe) last trip I've had the recipe for Summer Tomato Pudding up on the computer screen.  I finally made it last night.  I didn't have some of the ingredients (feta cheese) and I had to use shredded mozz cheese.  I used the end of a loaf of homemade French bread.  In the end mine didn't look near as pretty as the one pictured on the recipe, but it tasted good.  

P8230656.JPG

Smoked chicken and cornmeal fried okra to go with

P8230657.JPG

• Like 7

Had to google Longan.  Similar to the lychee.  YUM.  I've only had canned lychee....I'm positive that fresh is a zillion times better.  And your rice looks good too :)

Yes, they taste and smell similar to lychees. And you are right about fresh lychees v canned. It's been years since I had a canned lychee, but I remember a metallic taste which is absent in the fresh ones.

The longan are much smaller than lychees and have a hard shell. Not as hard as your can though!

Here are three in my hand. 

longansize.jpg

In Mandarin Chinese, longan are known as 龙眼  (lóng yǎn) which means 'dragons' eyes'. You can see the black pupil (the seed) through the translucent white flesh. (sorry, the flesh is more white than appears in the photograph.)

longan.jpg

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Fresh longans are readily available in the USA at Chinese or E/SE Asian groceries, and various large "International-type" groceries/supermarkets, when in season. Ditto lychees. The sources for the fresh fruits include places like Florida, of course; but also places like Kenya, where lychees are widely grown for the export market.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1