• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

I am back to cooking at home after an extended vacation in the Caribbean.  I did do some cooking while on vacation but did not take pictures.  It is hard/expensive to find good vegetables on the island (with the exception of salad greens), so I always feel vegetable-starved when I get home.  Last night's dinner was a big chopped vegetable salad with chickpeas and feta cheese added.  The tomatoes and herbs are from my garden.

chopped salad.jpg

• Like 8

Deep-fried firm tofu & shrimp/muk-yee wontons. Zephyr squash. Noodles scramble w/ garlic/oil/parsley. Scallions added on top. Chili sauce.

DSCN5986a_800.jpg

Beef & tendon meatballs [Venus], basil, squash, lumachine [Garofalo]; in beef broth.

DSCN5994b_800.jpg

• Like 1

clams.jpg

My seafood girl came up with these sea snails today. It is ridiculously hot  (40ºC/104ºF and 75% humidity), so just a light dinner of clams and sea snails in oyster sauce with garlic, ginger and Chinese chives - with crusty bread to mop up.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Linguine with sauce in the style of sugo con tonno alla liparese.

DSCN6006a_800.jpg

After the recipe on pg 60 of Sauces & Shapes: Pasta the Italian Way. (see here)

I used white tuna in olive oil [Ortiz], salted capers [bella Famiglia] (rinsed & soaked), dry cured olives [from Nicole-Taylor's], garlic (Siberian Blue), Arbequina EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch] plus some of the packing oil for the tuna, lots of ground black pepper, chopped parsley, linguine [De Cecco].

• Like 5

Brined pork belly cooked SV @ 72C for 18 hours. Chilled and transferred to the smoker where it met with applewood smoke and a glaze made from Blis brand barrel aged maple syrup, fish sauce, sherry vinegar, and soy sauce. Plus some gochujang. Plated with sweet potato puree, fennel, fried shallots, pickled cauliflower, and Granny Smith apple.

pork_belly_blis_dish.jpg

pork_belly_blis.jpg

• Like 10

Half of the mince got inside the quid. I found out when I sliced the squid open. Eaten alongside round rice noodles and aubergines (the latter was last minute).

Unfortunately, the overhead shot was a bit too dark I had to brighten considerably.

QVdd2Vd.jpg

s2QF8bp.jpg

• Like 4

DSC00150.jpg

Poached chicken breast over roasted peppers with a sherry vinaigrette over some bitter greens, roasted corn with basil and shallots, tomato and cucumber salad

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 6

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I was eyeing the recipe in Sauces & Shapes adjoining the one I used last night (see here) and which is also given here...but I didn't quite exactly feel like tuna again.  After kicking the idea around a bit I ended up making this dish here instead. :-) 

DSCN6009a_800.jpg

EV olive oil, sliced shallots, sliced garlic, chopped ripe de-skinned Black Krim & Cherokee Purple tomatoes, simmer; hickory-smoked sockeye salmon bellies [Wild Alaska Salmon & Seafood] (de-skinned, de-finned, flesh broken into chunks), simmer; salted capers [bella Famiglia] (rinsed, soaked), simmer down, with parsley folded in at the end. Toss w/ fresh (just cooked) raditore (a.k.a. radiatori) [Nicole-Taylor's] in the pan (on heat). Plate, top w/ chopped parsley. There were actually a lot of capers in there - hiding just below the surface and within the mound of stuff.

• Like 8

clp.jpg

Coriander lemon pork. Tomato and white onion salad. Rice.

A summer favourite.

(It's actually not easy to make this in China. Although coriander leaf/cilantro is the most commonly used herb, the seeds are not used. Many friends have been surprised to learn that they are even edible.

The only place I can find them is one market on the other side of the city, which caters to farmers. They have seeds for planting. But I still have to be careful.Many of the seeds have been 'enhanced' with growth activators, fertilisers etc. When I find untreated seeds I buy a year's supply. The last batch is running low now.)

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I wrapped the boneless rib trimmings which are not all shown in the photo, in the paper, and the bone-in ribs in foil.  I first smoked them with a rub before wrapping them, I put some margarine (like Franklin) brown sugar and honey then put them, wrapped, back in the smoker for an hour. I used margarine instead of butter because butter could burn at only 250º.  The ones wrapped in paper had a sweeter flavor than the ones in foil.  I didn't add any BBQ sauce. I seldom ever do add it when it is in the smoker but put it on the table for people to add if they want.

What I find curious is that the meats I smoke in my little smoker get done a lot faster than they do in other larger smokers but I use the same temperatures.  The log for the ribs is posted at the little blue link at the end of my post.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

Norm,

Those ribs are mouth watering!

image.jpg

Mushroom stroganoff over orzo.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog