• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Try calling it grits, or grilled grits. I have to call souffle "baked eggs", braised lamb shoulder "pot roast", etc.

My son decided one day that he hated parsnips. Later that week he was served "Chinese White Carrots", which he loved. They were parsnips!

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

LOL, but sometimes kids are smarter than their parents give them credit for.  I hated, just hated rabbit as a child.  My folks would swear up and down it was chicken.  Finally the light went on in my kiddie brain and I asked for the wings. They had to switch tactics and make me sit there until I had eaten a predetermined amount of it.  To be honest, I still do not like rabbit.  When it came to teach me to appreciate food, my parents were just plain dumb.  

• Like 3

Our son's birthday dinner, all by request.  Brazilian shrimp and rice, with fried zucchini.  And a gin and tonic (should have been a Caipirinha, but you work with what you have).  

alex_birthdaydinner.jpg

And lemon meringue pie.  I added way more lemon juice than called for and the filling was a bit goopy and my meringue always comes out looking lame, but the taste was divine!

alex_birthdaypie.jpg

• Like 6

Last night my wife wanted soup with lots of carrots, despite it being the 80's here (the temp, not the decade).  So it was chicken, chicken stock, carrots, celery, onion, Brussels sprouts, peas, barley and zucchini noodles.

soup2.jpg

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

mgaretz,

Your wife and I would get along at least as far as lots of carrots in our soup is concerned.

image.jpg

Colombian chicken stew with tomatoes, potatoes and onions. Adapted from Serious Eats. This meshed well with my abilities tonight. Bung everything into the pressure cooker and cook for 25 minutes. It hardly gets any easier.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Normal food" today (as in normal in northern Europe). There were also boiled potatoes and a plain salad. Pink "peppercorns" because I like their sweetness and gorgeous colour.

Very quickly seared. The loins were mostly raw, it's almost sashimi. Almost. I don't mess with quality ingredients!

pPSt0GR.jpg

MauIDpH.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 5

A dish based on 金華玉樹雞 (gam1 waa4 juk6 syu6 gai1), an old-style Cantonese dish, but using Jamón Serrano. I've posted variations of this before.

DSCN5945c_800.jpg

Simple chicken broth w/ mung bean sprouts, scallions & coriander leaves.

DSCN5950a_600.jpg

Multiple bowls of white rice.

• Like 5

Tonight was char siu vide (pork tenderloin, dry rubbed with char siu marinade mix and the sous vide at 140F for 3 hours, then charred on the grill) stir fried with small bok choy and carrots.  Sauce was soy and hoisin sauces with garlic, ginger and a touch of red pepper flakes.

char-siu-choy.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Haven't been taking many pics lately. Some meals were pretty simple, sometimes I just forgot or was in a hurry or lazy!   :smile:

We bought sushi at one of the grocery stores a couple of times. 

IMGP5057.JPG

I roasted a chicken and we ate that for a few days. Made gravy with the carcass. 

IMGP5161.JPG

And I finally got my Paderno spiralizer out of the box! It's been sitting in a cupboard for a few months, so it was about time. I'm not really sure how much use I will get out of it, to be honest. Though my husband really enjoyed these zoodles with a simple (fresh) tomato sauce. Usually he would decline any offer of zucchini, but he made a point of telling me that these were tasty. That was surprising! 

IMGP5169.JPG

IMGP5175.JPG

• Like 10

something about mashed potatoes w gravy that just Sings !

yours look perfect ! 

there are so many variations   

ultra smooth, a bit chunky etc

Id show up just for the M.P's and gravy

OK a little Chicken would be nice too !

• Like 5

My post got hyjacked so here we go again,

I love, love gravy, so much so, my late Dad nick named me "Gravy Charlie".

Two Thanksgivings ago I made luscious turkey gravy from concentrated stock plus scraping the roasting pan, you know what I'm talking about. It was so rich, it felt "sticky" in the mouth. Our friend Bill had three servings of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. Must have had two cups of gravy all totalled! Luckily I had made around six cups of the stuff.

Maybe I should rename myself as "Gravy Bill".

Note, Bill is 66 and exercises twice a day and has a six pack!

• Like 5

Ha, Okanagancook and rotuts, your posts made me smile! OC, your friend Bill does sound like a gravy lover!  rotuts, you are welcome to join us next time I do gravy! 

It was a cooler day so I thought why not cook a whole chicken, because that will last us for several meals. Cooked it in the SteamBoy (Cuisinart steam oven). 

I used some pan scrapings/drippings and the carcass and some chicken stock and cooked it all for awhile and then strained and reheated. I might have added a tiny bit of flour but not much, and it was definitely a bit on the runny side. But delicious!  

• Like 3

image.jpg

Pressure cooked duck with port over microwaved polenta. Duck spent a little time under the broiler.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yellow romano-type wax beans sautéed w/ browned ground pork & garlic & salt, then Japanese Trifele tomatoes; some rice vinegar, fish sauce, hon-mirin; basil towards the end.  These were the leftovers from earlier, eaten w/ Fuzhou-type thin wheat noodles (min6 sin3).

DSCN5968b_800.jpg

Plus a couple bowls of freshly-made chicken stock/broth, lip-smackingly drunk as-is.

Later, a bowl of young carrots, Zephyr squash & leafy celery cooked in reheated chicken broth.

DSCN5976a_600.jpg

• Like 1

Photos didn't turn out well mostly because the camera was struggling to focus on the opague rice paper. There were snow crab meat, samphire and different green leaves in the rolls. I'm rubbish at rolling, as you can see below.

B6aF26I.jpg

vog8h6i.jpg

• Like 9

"Normal food" today (as in normal in northern Europe). There were also boiled potatoes and a plain salad. Pink "peppercorns" because I like their sweetness and gorgeous colour.

Very quickly seared. The loins were mostly raw, it's almost sashimi. Almost. I don't mess with quality ingredients!

pPSt0GR.jpg

MauIDpH.jpg

Bon Vivant, I now you said you like the pink peppercorns – but have you had this done similarly in some other ways? (e.g. with a squeeze of lemon only; or touched w/ a steamed Cantonese-type treatment)

Lovely fish anyway.  Next time you have something like this consider taking a photo of the hunk of fish when gently flaked apart or cut into with knife or fork. I'd like to see that.

• Like 1

BonVivant: Those rice paper rolls look great! Mine sometimes tend to be limp, probably because of my filling...Must practice!

Scubadoo97: Like your addition of "heat" to the roasted cauliflower...Must try next time. I am always adding heat of some sort onto ours.

Gravy is a thing of beauty. I know my family - siblings, nieces, nephews, kids all fight for the last drop. Rice is the preferred carb but failing that, mashed taters or biscuits will do nicely!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Huiray, I make my fish in several ways including steaming with ginger and chives (don't like green onions or scallions), white wine/dry sherry and soy sauce (finishing with sesame oil).

And yes these enormous flakes are lovely to see and eat. I shall look into making such a photo in the future.

----------------

Dejah, I can roll tightly but they always end up ugly. They turn out either too small or too big.

Edited by BonVivant (log)

Shrimp wontons & noodles in soup. Sautéed wong nga pak.

Soup – Chicken stock simmered w/ ikan bilis (deheaded) & dried Chinese far koo mushrooms.

DSCN5984a_800.jpg

DSCN5985a_600.jpg

Shrimp mix – chopped-up shrimp, sliced fresh wood-ear fungus, scallions, sea salt, oil, sesame oil, ground white pepper, Shaohsing wine. Hong Kong style wrappers.

DSCN5978a_600.jpg

Wontons.

DSCN5980a_600.jpg

• Like 2