• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Because sometimes you just want a burger:

20150809_152312.jpg

Grass-fed beef with homemade spicy mustard, mayo, kosher dill chips and tomato on a whole wheat bun. Baked beans and oven roasted potato wedges with cotija cheese.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When I visited the market today, I had no intention of buying seafood. Next to the seafood area is my favourite allium lady. I've been buying onions, garlic, shallots, etc from her for sixteen years. So there I was buying two different kinds of shallot when I hear a yell to my left.

It's my seafood vendor. I've mentioned her before. Was just a kid helping mom when I met her. Now she runs the place.

"Come to see this!" she yells.

So once in possession of a sufficiency of shallots, I wander over. She points into one of her containers. Beautiful large shrimp are wriggling around in the water very energetically. She whispers a very reasonable price to me and I'm sold. Well, no the shrimp are.

She wasn't hustling me or giving me a hard sell. She really likes to look after her regulars and she knows what I like. 

So as a sort of pre-dinner indulgence, a plate of salt-and-pepper shrimp.

ssp.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

And Dejah, where the heck does one get Thai Basil in Brandon Manitoba?!! :hmmm:

Our Superstore is quite good at getting the Thai basil in. Sometimes, it's in good shape, other times, not usable. Of course, that's when I REALLY need it. My s-i-l was loaded with the basil last summer, so he dried a whole bag...not good like regular basil.

Summer, no problem...I grow basil in my herbs patch. (And, we DO have summer :wink: )

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The leftovers from here, simmered (augmented) w. more soft tofu chunks plus some water and sea salt and young kale leaves (de-ribbed, shredded by hand into small pieces), with roasted (wheat) vermicelli folded in at the end after shutting off the fire.

DSCN5926b_800.jpg

Cherokee Purple & Chocolate Stripe tomatoes cooked w/ EV olive oil, yellow squash, green zucchini, garlic & shallots, fresh bay leaves, chiffonaded greens. Seasoning adjusted. Served w/ fedelini [De Cecco]. Had seconds, polished off everything.

DSCN5930a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Last night I made tri-tip again - sous vide at 120F then a quick sear on the gas grill using the flat side of grill grates.  Usually I season with McCormick's Montreal Steak rub just before going on the grill, but this time I seasoned before going into the bath.  Not sure there was a big difference.

The highlight of the meal was a new take on peas and carrots.  Chunks of steamed carrots with mashed peas.  I mashed the peas with butter, cream sherry, honey, salt, pepper and garlic.

tri-tip-812.jpg

tri-tip-plated-812.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Last night I made tri-tip again - sous vide at 120F then a quick sear on the gas grill using the flat side of grill grates.  Usually I season with McCormick's Montreal Steak rub just before going on the grill, but this time I seasoned before going into the bath.  Not sure there was a big difference.

The highlight of the meal was a new take on peas and carrots.  Chunks of steamed carrots with mashed peas.  I mashed the peas with butter, cream sherry, honey, salt, pepper and garlic.

I really like McCormick's Montreal Steak marinade. Its 20g seasoning, 1/4 cup veg oil, 1/4 cup water, 2 TBSP white or red vinegar. I usually marinate a 1 and 1/2 inch steak for atleast 2-4 hours. But its like one of the best quick marinades for steak ive ever used. I havent tried it sous vide, just on my searing grill, but if you are seasoning before sous vide, you might want to consider trying that marinade.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1

magertz, oh my god, that steak looks very tasty.  I liked the way you sliced it, nice and thick.  I scored some trip-tips and they are perfect for the sour vide rig.  I make my own steak rub which uses smoked salt...perfect for indoor treatments.  For the record here is the recipe....just finished my second batch and need to make some more.  For me, I really like the flavours of the rub.  Brings out the 'meatyness' of the steak.  cheers

1/2 c smoked salt

2 T cracked black pepper

1 T cracked white pepper

2 T granulated garlic

1 T red pepper flakes

2 t white sugar

1T dried thyme

1T cracked coriander seeds

1t cumin seed

1 t mustard seeds

Mix the ingredients together except the cumin and mustard seeds which should be toasted until the seeds start to pop.

• Like 3

I made tacos for dinner tonight. I used Cassie's recipe for guacamole but she said I used too much cinnamon.  She uses a pinch. I might have used a bit more.  I'm also pretty sure I used more seasoned salt than she does. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

Peanut oil, chopped smashed garlic, minced softened dried shrimp (har mai), sliced deboned chicken thigh, sliced peeled fuzzy squash, water, salt, simmer; pre-softened cellophane noodles, simmer; marinated shelled deveined shrimp w/ the marinade, cook till done.  Plated w/ chopped coriander leaves.

DSCN5932b_800.jpg

Shrimp marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, oil, dash of soy sauce, bit of salt.

• Like 2

image.jpg

Dinner last evening was grilled polenta squares topped with cherry tomatoes that were sauteed in olive oil with some garlic and the whole thing sprinkled an American-made Asiago-parmesan cheese.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Every time I open my beer fridge I spy bacon bits we got from Max Burt's farm on Manitoulin Island. Today they helped to make a really tasty bacon and corn chowder topped with cheddar cheese.

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DSC00117.jpg

My picture isn't good but this was delicious - stuffed zucchini with sausage, corn, tomatoes and various other things that were hanging around the kitchen.

• Like 6

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Dinner last evening was grilled polenta squares topped with cherry tomatoes that were sauteed in olive oil with some garlic and the whole thing sprinkled an American-made Asiago-parmesan cheese.

So you liked the polenta?  Maybe I can convert Ronnie!

Steamed cod fillets, Teochew style.

DSCN5938a_800.jpg

Cod fillets, pickled mustard (harm choy), Japanese Trifele tomatoes, salted plums + some of the pickling liquid, ginger, scallions, Thai-type hot chillies, shiitake mushrooms, good Shaohsing wine, bit of light soy sauce, peanut oil. Steam till done. transferred to fresh plate.

Ong choy stir-fried w/ garlic & fermented bean curd (fu6 jyu5, fu yee; 腐乳), Cantonese-style.

DSCN5941a_800.jpg

Oil, garlic, fu yee, ong choy (kangkong, water spinach, water morning glory, Ipomoea aquatica). The fu yee is pretty salty, no additional salt needed at all.

Several bowls of white rice.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

So you liked the polenta?  Maybe I can convert Ronnie!

I did. Looking forward to cooler weather when braised short ribs will make an appearance on top of some creamy polenta. Every time I see a photograph of that dish I am salivating.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog