• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Chicken thigh which had been bagged and frozen with some herbs. Tonight cooked SV 165x4hr then chilled and seared to reheat and crisp the skin. Served with mashed peas with mint and green onion tops and pan sauce from the jelled collagen in the bag

689e295c41f04bb61930bded4b171c04.jpg

• Like 6

Think my brains is on summer holidays mode! Been forgetting to take pics until the leftovers stage.

Had some friends over for supper on the weekend. Requests were from our restaurant days :smile:

The container has the leftovers - left to right:
Kung Pao Chicken, Shanghai Noodles, Pepper Shrimp with Gai Lan, Crispy Ginger Beef, Shitaki Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce with Gai Lan leaves,  Earlier, we had Summer rolls and Fresh Lily Bulb Soup.

eGulletDaniel'sSupper7038.jpg

S-i-l  and son came out from the city to do some chores. Made food that are their not-cooked-at-home favourites:

Aromatic Lamb Shanks a la Nigella Lawson

eGulletAromaticLambShanks7042.jpg

Had 2 leftover fresh shanks, so lunch was Scotch Broth

eGulletScotchBroth7045.jpg

Scored a BIG bunch of Morning Glory / Ong Choy / Water Spinach while in the city!

eGullet Fresh Ong Choy7046.jpg

Ong Choy cooked with garlic, ginger, and fish sauce

eGulletOngChoyLeftovers7047.jpg

The Ong Choy was eaten (mostly by me!) with Beef and Ho Fun (Rice noodles)

eGulletHoFun7048.jpg

It's been hot weather here, but once s-i-l fixed the A/C, cooking in the kitchen has not been a problem! Tonight, we'll be eating Beef Rendang with short ribs - another request / reward for cutting down trees, fixing fences, water hoses, doors, etc!

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Good to see you again Dejah!

As you point out, Morning Glory / Ong Choy / Water Spinach has many names, both in English and Chinese. My favourite is 空心菜 (kōng xīn cài) which literally translates as 'hollow heart vegetable'. But the two first characters also mean empty stomach, so it could be 'empty stomach vegetable".

Dinner tonight was an experiment from this thread. It was OK, but could be better. 

dbbs2.jpg

Duck with blueberry, duck fat fried spuds and asparagus.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks, liuzhou :smile: 
When you started the savory blueberry thread, I also thought - duck! I have pork ribs out thawing, maybe I'll try something with that tomorrow.
Did you give the ingredients in the above experiment? Blueberries are abundant at the moment, so I'll have to try.

My Mom called the Morning Glory as "hollow heart vegetable". I learned Morning Glory while we were on our trip to Indochina. I ordered it whenever possible as it is difficult to get this in good condition here. I was surprised that it kept well this time, for 5 days before I had the opportunity to cook it.

Apparently, there are two ways to grow this vegetable: on land or in the water. Can you verify that? I would think "in water"?

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks, liuzhou :smile: 

When you started the savory blueberry thread, I also thought - duck! I have pork ribs out thawing, maybe I'll try something with that tomorrow.

Did you give the ingredients in the above experiment? Blueberries are abundant at the moment, so I'll have to try.

My Mom called the Morning Glory as "hollow heart vegetable". I learned Morning Glory while we were on our trip to Indochina. I ordered it whenever possible as it is difficult to get this in good condition here. I was surprised that it kept well this time, for 5 days before I had the opportunity to cook it.

Apparently, there are two ways to grow this vegetable: on land or in the water. Can you verify that? I would think "in water"?

I am no botanist or gardener. I even kill mint which everyone tells me is indestructible. But I was always of the impression that water spinach grows in shallow water. It is the default green veg of choice here. You don't even have to specify it most of the time. Just ask for 'green vegetables" and it's  90% certain you are going to get it.

I am still playing with the blueberry sauce and have a good-looking piece of pork in the fridge for tomorrow's experimental continuation 

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Soaked giant white beans with a pinch of baking soda, a whole pasilla chile and a bunch of dill. Sauted chunks of purplish garlic in a ton of olive oil with salt, peppercorns and bay leaves, added beans, soaking liquid with the pasilla, extra dill and a crushed anchovy and cooked for a couple hours. 

Served with rice and spinach. This was heavenly.

beans.jpg

• Like 8

Last night I made meatloaf, served with salad and mashed cauliflower. Dessert was applie pie and compressed watermelon and honeydew. Threw this together last minute as we had an unexpected guest for dinner. Forgot to snap pics.

Normally in my meatloaf I use oatmeal, but when I went to grab the oatmeal I didn't have enough. So I supplemented it with crushed whole wheat crackers from Trader Joes. It was very yummy.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

heidih, it's so easy, cut the feta, depending on the size in 2 or 3 pieces, dust in flower all over and coat with beaten egg. heat enough oil to fry it golden brown on all sides. carefully lift it, drain on kitchen paper, sizzle honey over it and serve with peaches and freshly ground pepper.

• Like 3

I'll give recipe cowriting credit to my three year old for this dish tonight

Rotellini, peanuts, garlic, mint, fish sauce, sugar (my two additions)

0M05m0V.png

I think it works better with orichette but there's no stopping my toddler when it comes to wheel pasta. Very tasty. Needs a squeeze of lime.

Edited by Dave W (log)
  • Like 3

Had beef short ribs in the freezer, so made Beef Rendang from Cradle of Flavour. It's been a long time since I've made this. I made a gravy at the end with some of the goop and oil. Thinned down the rue with a small can of coconut milk and another tbsp. of red curry paste. This was very rich, but went perfectly with cumin basmati rice and stir-fried Shanghai bok choy. Hey! That's 3 countries in one meal. :laugh:

egulletRendangBite7053.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Some meals.

"Ibumie Penang Lad Mee 'Perisa Lada Pedas' " with Dietz & Watson beef franks, broccoli, Dragon Tongue beans, scallions, extra white pepper.

DSCN5815b_800.jpg

Pork meatballs (minced fatty pork, fish sauce, generous panko crumbs, chopped scallions, ground white pepper, splashes of this-and-that) in chicken stock w/ kai-lan, very fine min6 sin3 (a bundle softened directly in the hot broth/soup in the pot after turning the fire off), deep-fried shallots.

DSCN5827b_800.jpg

Ginger & scallion shrimp ho fun.

DSCN5830a_800.jpg

DSCN5834b_800.jpg

Hot oil/pan, some ginger, shrimps, toss, remove & reserve. Pan on full flame, ginger, garlic, half of the trimmed scallions, sliced kai-lan stems, ho fun ribbons/strips, fish sauce, hua tiew Shaohsing wine, chicken stock, mung bean sprouts, rest of the trimmed scallions, coriander leaves, the reserved shrimp, egg white beaten w/ some water. Plated, dressed w/ coriander leaves.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

My first "zoodles," my spiralizer having arrived earlier this week. (I love Amazon Prime.). These were in a lemon cream sauce with some corn and a handfull of roasted, frozen cherry tomatoes, and topped with a lemon-butter tilapia filet.

Daughter and I agreed we could have done without the lemon either in the sauce or on the fish, but in general, highly approved of the zoodles. I foresee many zoodles in our future.

20150804_184115.jpg

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My first "zoodles," my spiralizer having arrived earlier this week. (I love Amazon Prime.). These were in a lemon cream sauce with some corn and a handfull of roasted, frozen cherry tomatoes, and topped with a lemon-butter tilapia filet.

Daughter and I agreed we could have done without the lemon either in the sauce or on the fish, but in general, highly approved of the zoodles. I foresee many zoodles in our future.

That sounds really good.  After re-reading the spiralizer thread the other day, I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow and am looking forward to my first zoodles shortly!

• Like 2

image.jpg

Eggs scrambled with a little Brie, some diced, canned tomatoes and parsley.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Flap steak cooked SV 130 x 4 hr, chilled then finished on the grill. It was a tad too rare so next time more time on the grill. Tasted good. Served with a Mac and Cheese using Israeli cous cous and a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper

8758d154e971472cb235c522e880e201.jpg

• Like 9

Oh Anna N! Your dish has my two favourite foods: scrambled eggs and canned tomato! That'll be my bunch tomorrow!

S-i-l made ribs - slow roasted in foil for 6 hours, then blasted for a few minutes after he slapped on the sauce he made. He mistakenly used tapioca starch instead of cornstarch for the sauce. It was very thick. The rub was an assortment of coriander, cumin, paprika, etc. and the sauce had one dried ghost pepper, Chinese wine, a bit of ketsup, etc. The ribs were sticky and spicy. Delicious! I boiled some baby taters, smashed them a bit then fried in butter.

eGulletRibsCornTaters7056.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com