• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

That brisket looks awesome, Norm.

Patrick, one can NEVER be bored looking at delicious pasta like you're showing!

Baselerd, for a second there I thought that was a watermelon tomato salad.  Oh that fish looks so fresh.  I'm jealous.

Liuzhou, I read about that garlic on your blog.  I think it sounds wonderful.  Might have to try making some of that.

Venison tostadas last night.

photo.JPG

• Like 6

Fried rice.

Hot oil + hot pan, sliced ginger, trimmed sliced kai-lan hearts & stems, sea salt, push stuff to the sides then a couple of farm-fresh eggs & scramble in situ in the center, add white rice while eggs are not yet set, toss & mix around; push stuff to the sides & add more oil then deveined deshelled wild-caught Atlantic shrimp, flip shrimp over once; mix everything back together, add chopped scallions & scramble & toss.  Heat turned off, covered for a minute.  Served.

Pickled Persian cucumbers, scallions, sesame seeds.  (Done this way)

DSCN5769d_800.jpg

DSCN5779b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

Finally it's dry and warm enough to bbq. The other night we had the lowest temperature on record for july (6C).

Well, today is my chance to bbq again. My favourite flat fish is brill, which is fortunately still abundant here in northern Europe.

jvdhrFj.jpg

mrvBngt.jpg

W3M6lff.jpg

• Like 9

hot here

was able to salvage some CB-SV from a previous St.P's day for a sandwich.  this last batch behaved very differently from all the others

( that problem was  covered on a different thread ) :

CB.jpg

note its a bit 'wet' but slices OK and still tasty

CBS.jpg

the tomatoes work better on the side or the sandwich would become too wet.  or Id have to use less mayo.

the tomatoes lost.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 12

Baselerd, for a second there I thought that was a watermelon tomato salad.  Oh that fish looks so fresh.  I'm jealous.

Thanks - it was actually thawed from flash frozen, which is generally the best way to get sushi-grade fish where I'm at (non-coastal). However, a lot of tuna has dye injected into it to improve appearance as well.

I also recently made another recipe from The Uchi Cookbook - Sous vide lobster tails, canary melon gazpacho, yellow pepper piperade, and cilantro puree. The chilled lobster went perfectly with the gazpacho, which was very simple (blended canary melon, salt, sugar, and xanthan gum). 

tumblr_nsf98v23Ht1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 12

Pad Woon Sen chez huiray, today's version.

DSCN5787a_800.jpg

DSCN5785a_800.jpg

Stuff that went in included (not in order of addition or cooking): Shrimp, chicken, glass noodles, wong nga pak (Napa cabbage), mung bean sprouts, scallions, garlic, coriander leaves, Carmela sweet red pepper, fish sauce, oyster sauce, double-fermented soy sauce, water, sugar (I used hon-mirin), eggs.  And oil, of course.

• Like 5

Nothing exceptional, but a good, old-fashioned Southern dinner. Chicken and dressing (shredded chicken baked into dressing), canned cranberry sauce, braised green beans, creamed squash.

cnd plate.jpg

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

kayb,

Now that's my kind of meal. How did you make your squash?

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Chicken thighs, Kühne Sauerkraut (pan-browned), new Yukon Golds, garlic.

Earlier – with broccoli & scallions in chicken broth; plus fresh peas.

DSCN5793-97_cmb_800.jpg

Later – with Oriental Spinach in chicken broth.

DSCN5801-03_cmb_800.jpg

Much later – a quarter of a mini cantaloupe. (the spoon seen is a teaspoon)

DSCN5808a_500B.jpg

• Like 1

Simple summer dinner:

Jucy Lucy, sweet hot pickles and red onion on a toasted bun with a potato and green bean salad dressed with Cain's mayo mixed with an Italian vinaigrette.

Watermelon with a mint and lemongrass gastrique.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I love a good Jucy Lucy, Suzi!  Need to make one of those before summer ends.  

I'm NOT ready in the least for summer to end....it seems like it's flying by.  I always get a bit maudlin when Kerry and Anna are done with their trip :(

We were hungry for chicken on the rotiss.  So, in keeping with Kay's Southern theme, we had chicken, mashed 'taters, gravy, Silver Queen, stewed tomatoes and okra and 'maters on the side.

photo.JPG

• Like 10

kayb,

Now that's my kind of meal. How did you make your squash?

It was actually supposed to be a squash casserole, but I got too much liquid in it. I cut the squash in chunks and steamed it soft; mashed it with a potato masher. Added half-and-half, grated cheese, cracker crumbs and an egg. Stirred it up and baked it. Too much half and half or not enough cracker crumbs, but it turned out creamier than usual. What I get for not measuring anything.

Shelby, you got to be envious of my early tomatoes....now I'm envious of your Silver Queen corn. Fingers crossed I can buy some when I'm in North GA later this month.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Still working my way through Chinese that I ordered in! Have frozen the rest of the wings and three extra egg rolls. Both of these re-heat quite well in the Breville XL. I finished up most of the beans. I am afraid the rest of the noodles may have to be binned. Even I can only do leftovers for so many meals.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog