• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Exams are done, marked, and results are in. My holidays have begun! Work sure cuts into my eGullet reading time :rolleyes:

Love all the meals posted here, and it'd take me all night to "like" them all! But Ann_T - your pizzas always kill me...Gorgeous rims. That's all I'd want...just the rims. :wub: 

It's been hot here on the prairies, but s-i-l fixed the A/C, so no problem using the oven - so says he who wanted pie - both savory and sweet. To keep s-i-l happy as he fixes things and cuts down trees, I've been cooking his requests:

Fish';n'Chips with fresh pickerel

eGulletFish&Chips6981.jpg

Steak 'n' Kidney pie

eGulletSteak&KidneyPie7015.jpg

Cherry pie with fresh cherries

eGulletSlicedCherryPie6871.jpg

Saskatoon Pie with fresh berries

eGulletSaskiePie6985.jpg

and a big tray of Moroccan Spiced cigars for a friend's 60th bday party

eGulletMoroccanSpicedCigars6974.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Got a big tin of anchovies in salt rather than the usual anchovies in olive oil. I'd read about it so I was prepared, but why do you have to bone salted anchovies and not anchovies in oil? Whatever, not a big deal, they were lovely...

Puttanesca of course.

puttanesca1.jpg

puttanesca2.jpg

• Like 14

Northern beans cooked in chicken stock, white wine, thyme, rosemary, celery, white carrots, shallots, and garlic. Crispy chicken skin with cayenne and smoked sea salt, lemon basil puree, and chili oil.

20119500871_a097536eb2_c.jpg

• Like 11

Couple of dinners.

"Nong Shim Spicy Kimchi Flavor Bowl Noodle Soup" augmented w/ baechu kimchi plus a big pour of the chillied pickling/marinating liquid, eggs scrambled/marbled w/ chopped scallions being sautéed in hot oil, and a helping of kkakdugi as well.

DSCN5732a_800.jpg

EV olive oil, chopped smashed fresh garlic, chopped cipollini onions, Mexican chorizo (casing removed) sliced into thick rounds, sliced cremini mushrooms, sliced poblano peppers, long grain rice, chopped de-skinned tomatoes (incld a Cherokee Purple), chicken stock, water, seasoning adjusted, cook (uncovered then covered) till done. (Eh, forgot the bay leaves)

Filet beans sautéed w/ garlic.

DSCN5744a_800.jpg

DSCN5743a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 10

liuzhou, that is just the way I like clams. Those have the most beautiful shells I've ever seen. How large are they?

Sorry kayb! I promised to get back to you about the size of these clams, then forgot. Well, I remembered when I was in the market, but forgot when I was sitting at the computer.

clams2.jpg 

So I wish to report that I have now measured some. Most are about 1 inch on the longest axis. A few are smaller and a very few slightly larger. The shells are very thin so I have to be careful buying them to make sure they are undamaged. But my seafood vendor is really good and also checks them one by one after I have already done so.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Every once in a while dinner becomes extra super good....last night was super good.  It was National Wing Day, so I had to make AnnT's lemon/pepper/sea salt wings.  

I also wanted to make LiamsAunts pesto zoodles.  I honestly didn't miss the pasta....and that's big for me to say.

Then, I was perusing around looking for new ways to fix cucumbers and ran across a Julia Child recipe.  Wow.  I was impressed.  Baked cucumbers.  I highly recommend trying.  I only had fresh dill for herbs....well, I also had some basil, but I thought dill sounded better.

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 11

Sorry kayb! I promised to get back to you about the size of these clams, then forgot. Well, I remembered when I was in the market, but forgot when I was sitting at the computer.

So I wish to report that I have now measured some. Most are about 1 inch on the longest axis. A few are smaller and a very few slightly larger. The shells are very thin so I have to be careful buying them to make sure they are undamaged. But my seafood vendor is really good and also checks them one by one after I have already done so.

Thanks! Didn't mean to make you go to any trouble. They are lovely clams, and I can only imagine how good they taste. Would love a bowl of clams right now!

Every once in a while dinner becomes extra super good....last night was super good.  It was National Wing Day, so I had to make AnnT's lemon/pepper/sea salt wings.  

I also wanted to make LiamsAunts pesto zoodles.  I honestly didn't miss the pasta....and that's big for me to say.

Then, I was perusing around looking for new ways to fix cucumbers and ran across a Julia Child recipe.  Wow.  I was impressed.  Baked cucumbers.  I highly recommend trying.  I only had fresh dill for herbs....well, I also had some basil, but I thought dill sounded better.

Yum. Must look for the Julia recipe. Love cucumbers and dill together, but don't think I've ever had a cooked cucumber.

Yesterday, I put together what may have been the best flight of imagination I've ever done in the kitchen. After the less-than-stellar experience with the tomato pudding, I was still jonesing for a tomato dish. I recalled a tomato pie, went looking for the recipe, read it, and walked into my kitchen and found corn I needed to do something with.

tomatoes.jpg

I sliced assorted tomatoes, lightly salted them, and put them on a rack to dry. One layer went into a partially baked pie crust; sprinkled bacon  lardons on top of that.  I topped that with a deconstructed Mexican street corn -- kernels sliced off three ears, stirred in a mixture of Greek yogurt, ancho chile powder, cumin, onion powder; layered that over the tomatoes and bacon.

corn layer.jpg

Repeated the layers, and then added a layer of the cherry and grape tomatoes.

tomatoes 3.jpg

Topped the whole thing with a mixture of mayonnaise, grated cheddar, queso fresca (which I'd meant to put in with the corn but forgot) and cream, and for good measure, sprinkled more queso fresco on top.

Baked at 350 for about 45 minutes.

tomates done.jpg

Heavenly!

(edited to remove extraneous photo)

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I may or may not have a more substantial meal around midnight, but after looking at today's pile of okra long enough I opted for blueberries and ice cream instead.

I'd like to say the blueberries were my very own, but these are produce of Canada on sale.  However while I was out harvesting the okra I spotted two blueberries on my bushes missed by the birds.  And one strawberry.  These did not make it in the house.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I suppose it was actually closer to 3:00 am but as in Poe's Tell Tale Heart the okra got the better of me and I fried up a mess of it.  (Sadly the okra pile is not noticeably diminished.)  Accompanied by a glass of Soave, salt, and pepper.  Yes, really, only one.

Needing some protein I then served up a crafty and elusive elk.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Still too stinkin' hot to do much cooking, so -- 

chicken salad.jpg

Chicken salad with grapes, almonds and water chestnuts (foreground), accompanied by a warmed over piece of tomato/corn pie that fell apart, but still tasted fine, and pineapple.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Huiray, your food is always so inviting and interesting

I so  agree.  

Mexican twice this week.

Chicken%20Enchiladas%20July%2030th%2C%20

Last night - Chicken Enchiladas. Homemade corn tortillas and enchilada sauce.

And last weekend we had hard shell tacos.

Tacos%20July%2025th%2C2015-L.jpg

Because sometimes only a hard shell taco will do.

• Like 12

made some chicken quesedillas with roasted diced chicken breasts, some finely shredded queso and drained pico de gallo.

served with some fresh green beans ( 1.00 per bag from a local guy) that were roasted with sea salt, garlic, minced tomato and olive oil.

leftovers for me tonight....

good tomatoes are just coming in....I want tomato pie

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

scubadoo97 and Ann_T, thanks for the compliment.

---------------------------------------------

A meal in two stages.

Cucumber soup. 

Short-cut pork spare ribs, parboiled & washed. Then: water, the cleaned riblets, dried Chinese (Shanxi) red jujubes, dried (salted) cuttlefish, sliced dried Angular Solomon's Seal rhizome, simmer; then Persian cucumbers sliced into sticks, seasoning adjusted, simmer a bit more till done.

DSCN5754b_800.jpg

Cantonese-style stir-fried Ong Choy.

Peanut oil, very hot pan, garlic, hot red chillies, fermented wet bean curd, some of the bean curd liquid/brine, ong choy (kangkong, "Morning Glory", etc; Ipomoea aquatica) (trimmed, washed, briefly pre-blanched), toss.

Cantonese-style steamed halibut.

Halibut fillet (skin-on), rice bran oil, julienned ginger, finely sliced scallions, quick grind of white pepper, small dash of sea salt; steam till just done (this fillet this time was done for just over 4 minutes). Dressed w/ fresh julienned ginger, sliced scallions & chopped coriander leaves. Peanut oil was heated in a pan and quenched w/ a mixture of double-fermented soy sauce, hon-mirin, water, good Shaohsing wine, ground white pepper, small dash of sesame oil, the mixture brought back just to a bare boil and immediately poured over the fish &etc.

White rice, 3 heaping bowls worth.

DSCN5745a_600R.jpg

DSCN5758b_800.jpg

DSCN5761a_800.jpg

• Like 2

My son's birthday is tomorrow.  His wife has invited some people over. I don't know what all she has planned but I spent all day with this brisket.  It's USDA Prime and should go with anything she has planned.  If it doesn't, well it will be good for several days to come. I won't slice it until ready to serve, whenever that may be.

DSCN2807_zpsiop88cau.jpg

• Like 14

I know I keep posting boring-looking pastas but that's what I'm eating. Lidia Bastianich's marinara recipe but secret hint: use Aleppo pepper in place of the usual red chile. Kind of mindblowingly good. I made this 2 days in a row and can't stop thinking about it.

marinara.jpg

• Like 4

I've recently been on a raw fish / crudo binge. It's so simple to prepare, yet so delicious. This one was somewhat inspired by a recipe in the Uchi Cookbook:

-Yellowfin tuna 

-Nectarines

-Goat Cheese

-Candied quinoa

-Thai basil

This was all dressed with shiro shoyu, sanbaizu, and pumpkinseed oil.

tumblr_nsdndaNam91rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

I also made this sous vide chicken liver pate from Chefsteps. It's really a fantastic recipe, the texture is perfectly smooth - and it will probably be my go-to pate recipe from now on. (The Eleven Madison Park recipe is great too, but this one is sooo easy to prepare). Served on toasted sourdough with honey.

tumblr_nse5qilCxr1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 9