• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

the soup was warm ?

its given me an idea of a cold version

things that needed cooking to get tender  i.e. green beans and dried beans, pasta etc are cooked / chilled.

the stuff that's good raw  : squash etc are added to the cold stock w the chilled cooked stuff :

summer time veg. gazpacho.

thanks for the idea !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I LOVE your soup FauxPas.  I have a whole bag of frozen parm. rinds that I need to use.  Thanks for a great idea to use summer veggies!  What kind of dried beans did you use?  What shape of pasta, macaroni?  I can't see for sure from the pic.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

Shelby, I just used macaroni because I had some that had been languishing in the cupboard though I did think of getting something more interesting! And the beans were some frozen pinto beans that I had initially cooked a month or two ago. I think a white bean would have looked nicer, though.  

Simply Recipes got me started on it, with this suggestion

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

Fedelini tossed in the pan w/ a "sauce" of EV olive oil, garlic & shallots, Dragon Tongue beans, Blue Oyster mushrooms, Cremini mushrooms, Cherub tomatoes, an "ugly" tomato, and broccoli florets at the end before the pasta went in.  Seasoning adjusted.  Fried eggs.

DSCN5710b_800.jpg

EV olive oil, garlic, Mexican chorizo, Shishito peppers, Cherub tomatoes, Japanese Trifele tomatoes, the leftovers from the meal above, parsley.  Seasoning adjusted.

DSCN5715a_800.jpg

Pastelitos de Carne Cubano (beef & pork; chicken) from Taste of Havana.

DSCN5725-27_C_800.jpg

Note to those who have not had Cuban pastelitos -- they have a distinct sweet note (from the syrup brushed on them before they are finished off in the oven) to go with the savory filling.

• Like 10

Last Nights  Side  " First batch of Beans from the garden "

Two nice pork neck bones  fried,  add Maple bacon and onion  fry.. added beans fry  add pork stock  (  I think I just added water here

cooked and add a touch of White vinegar..Nice!!

IMG_8160.JPG

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels

Never did find the can but I am still looking.

Glad to have run across this exchange. I have cornbread in the freezer, leftover roast chicken in the fridge, chicken and dressing on the menu this week. Must Get Cranberry Sauce. Note that I had no question at all about why cranberry sauce was in the fridge. That's where mine lives  as well.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had a hankering for calzones.  I spent most of the day in the kitchen on various projects so I figured calzones would fit right in.  My husband doesn't care for ricotta cheese so I used cottage cheese, egg and parm. with thick slices of fresh mozz.  I sautéed some onions and mushrooms along with ground pork and spinach.  The insides were excellent...the outside, not so much.  I used my pizza crust recipe.  It's great for pizza, not for calzones.  I must do a bit of research before I try again.

On the up side, I brought out some of the homemade pesto for topping and my husband liked it.  Pesto is another thing that I thought he didn't like. :wacko:  Apparently I'm dredging up husbands from a past life or something.  :laugh:

photo 4.JPG

• Like 3

Hearty soup.  Water, chicken thighs, ginger, sea salt, yellow & red-skinned carrots, leafy celery, lumachine [Garofalo] cooked directly in the soup.  Mangia.

DSCN5728b_800.jpg

• Like 3

BLT's on homemade bread, fried okra and green tomato (it accidentally fell off of the vine....I can't fathom picking a green tomato on purpose this time of year ;) ) and silver queen.  Man, summer is good.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

We've had some non-summery meals, because we had some cooler weather and had some things to use up. Red wine-braised short ribs last night, for example. These looked prettier after adding a bit of parsley and some sliced tomatoes, also had some gravy on the side. Fresh corn was excellent, mashed some new potatoes.

IMGP5046.JPG

Weather is warming up again, though. 

• Like 4