• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

the soup was warm ?

its given me an idea of a cold version

things that needed cooking to get tender  i.e. green beans and dried beans, pasta etc are cooked / chilled.

the stuff that's good raw  : squash etc are added to the cold stock w the chilled cooked stuff :

summer time veg. gazpacho.

thanks for the idea !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I LOVE your soup FauxPas.  I have a whole bag of frozen parm. rinds that I need to use.  Thanks for a great idea to use summer veggies!  What kind of dried beans did you use?  What shape of pasta, macaroni?  I can't see for sure from the pic.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

Shelby, I just used macaroni because I had some that had been languishing in the cupboard though I did think of getting something more interesting! And the beans were some frozen pinto beans that I had initially cooked a month or two ago. I think a white bean would have looked nicer, though.  

Simply Recipes got me started on it, with this suggestion

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

It's autumn already so I'm having a meal to match the weather. The opened ones were steamed and the other half of the dumplings was boiled. Chilean snow crab meat and pork mince used in the filling.

Xb2uReL.jpg

Ztbwjix.jpg

aszFagq.jpg

• Like 9

Fedelini tossed in the pan w/ a "sauce" of EV olive oil, garlic & shallots, Dragon Tongue beans, Blue Oyster mushrooms, Cremini mushrooms, Cherub tomatoes, an "ugly" tomato, and broccoli florets at the end before the pasta went in.  Seasoning adjusted.  Fried eggs.

DSCN5710b_800.jpg

EV olive oil, garlic, Mexican chorizo, Shishito peppers, Cherub tomatoes, Japanese Trifele tomatoes, the leftovers from the meal above, parsley.  Seasoning adjusted.

DSCN5715a_800.jpg

Pastelitos de Carne Cubano (beef & pork; chicken) from Taste of Havana.

DSCN5725-27_C_800.jpg

Note to those who have not had Cuban pastelitos -- they have a distinct sweet note (from the syrup brushed on them before they are finished off in the oven) to go with the savory filling.

• Like 10

Last Nights  Side  " First batch of Beans from the garden "

Two nice pork neck bones  fried,  add Maple bacon and onion  fry.. added beans fry  add pork stock  (  I think I just added water here

cooked and add a touch of White vinegar..Nice!!

IMG_8160.JPG

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels

Never did find the can but I am still looking.

Glad to have run across this exchange. I have cornbread in the freezer, leftover roast chicken in the fridge, chicken and dressing on the menu this week. Must Get Cranberry Sauce. Note that I had no question at all about why cranberry sauce was in the fridge. That's where mine lives  as well.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had a hankering for calzones.  I spent most of the day in the kitchen on various projects so I figured calzones would fit right in.  My husband doesn't care for ricotta cheese so I used cottage cheese, egg and parm. with thick slices of fresh mozz.  I sautéed some onions and mushrooms along with ground pork and spinach.  The insides were excellent...the outside, not so much.  I used my pizza crust recipe.  It's great for pizza, not for calzones.  I must do a bit of research before I try again.

On the up side, I brought out some of the homemade pesto for topping and my husband liked it.  Pesto is another thing that I thought he didn't like. :wacko:  Apparently I'm dredging up husbands from a past life or something.  :laugh:

photo 4.JPG

• Like 3

Hearty soup.  Water, chicken thighs, ginger, sea salt, yellow & red-skinned carrots, leafy celery, lumachine [Garofalo] cooked directly in the soup.  Mangia.

DSCN5728b_800.jpg

• Like 3

BLT's on homemade bread, fried okra and green tomato (it accidentally fell off of the vine....I can't fathom picking a green tomato on purpose this time of year ;) ) and silver queen.  Man, summer is good.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

We've had some non-summery meals, because we had some cooler weather and had some things to use up. Red wine-braised short ribs last night, for example. These looked prettier after adding a bit of parsley and some sliced tomatoes, also had some gravy on the side. Fresh corn was excellent, mashed some new potatoes.

IMGP5046.JPG

Weather is warming up again, though. 

• Like 4