• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Too hot to turn the oven on.    "Grilled" tomato salad with fresh mozzarella, basil and mint.  The tomatoes and herbs are from my garden.  "Grilled" is in parentheses because it was hot and I did not want to go out and stand over the hot grill just to grill one green tomato so...I will admit that I "grilled" the green tomato in my belgian waffle iron.  

tomato salad.jpg

• Like 6

Dinner tonight is half a well spiced chicken that is on its way past the use it or lose it stage.  Food52 method.  Mashed potato, peas.  Lots of MR planned.  None of this is unusual.

What is strange is that I had hoped to serve the chicken with a can of organic cranberry sauce.  A couple of weeks ago I was short on refrigerator space and removed the unopened cranberry sauce and put the can someplace where I would be sure to find it.  Someplace that made perfect sense at the time.

I have searched through the bedroom, the bathroom, the living room, the dining room, and oh yes the kitchen.  I have looked in weird places.  For about an hour.  I just want my cranberry sauce, please, before the chicken burns.  Though with sufficient MR it may not be all that necessary.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ah, I never did find the missing can of cranberry.  But one cannot underestimate MR.  I could never* enjoy a liter of still wine at one sitting, but MR goes down so readily.  And this was highly carbonated (or whatever euphemism you prefer) MR.  I cannot speak more favorably of iSi.

Plus, the chicken was not half bad, either.  Now I find myself reflecting upon ice cream.  Note, please, before you judge that I ate all my peas.

*well, hardly ever.

• Like 4

• From Carniceria Morelos – one of their daily-cooked regular items: Pork chops cooked w/ tomatoes, onions, peppers (poblanos, I think), some other hot chili, beans (I think - I can smell them), some leafy green herb; all in a nice sauce.

• Rice (cooked at home) – EV olive oil, chopped smashed garlic, sliced shallots, long grain rice, halved Cherub tomatoes, chicken stock, lots of chopped fresh basil, simmer in the usual way (open, then closed) till cooked.

• French filet beans stir-fried w/ garlic.

DSCN5664b_800.jpg

• Like 4

dba.jpg

I had a happy day butchering a duck and rendering its fat. Then marinaded one breast in lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, chilli flakes and sea salt. Pan fried it in the duck's own fat along with asparagus (also fried in duck fat) and rice.  Australian Pinot Noir.

Now have two legs and one breast in the freezer along with wings, bones and trimmings for a duck soup/stock later.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I always have at least two cans of cranberry sauce in my refirg :  one 'chunky'  one 'smooth'.

just in case.

When it comes to cranberry I do only chunky.

Never did find the can but I am still looking.

• Like 2

JoNorvelleWalker,

Good luck finding your can of cranberry sauce.

I stock hundreds of food items, many of them perishable. I usually do a good job of using up the perishable stuff with little to no waste, but in making room for non-perishables ... They can tend to get pushed behind other items on the pantry shelves. I also have a shelf that hangs over a door in an upstairs bedroom with spices and canned goods.

Sometimes I drive myself a bit nuts with pretty frantic searches, but I always know it's here somewhere, and usually I find it the first try; if not the second. Occasionally it takes a while.

I can definitely relate to your experience. You'll find it.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Ooooh, Paul, I do love monkfish.  Been a while since I've had any.

We had fish sandwiches Wednesday night (in celebration of Sharknado 3 showing.  Yes.  I love me some Sharknado.  So bad, it's good)

photo.JPG

Ann's wings the night before

photo 1.JPG

And last night a little shrimp and pasta

photo 3.JPG

• Like 9

Had more brussel sprouts to work through

Did more shredded sprouts with seared Cobia. A side of mini sweet peppers and a jalapeño which was hotter than anticipated. Cobia is such a wonderful fish

06a536e539064d25fb7d5ee232a60d51.jpg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 4

Inspired by tug I made a sardine pasta. My can was King Oscar rather than Cento, and I'd planned to include pine nuts but got befuddled by the pine nut controversy (and blocked by my attempt to buy Italian pignoli in the Bronx by the fact that Nino's on Arthur Avenue was unexpectedly closed on summer Sundays after July 19th, despite their website)...

Decided to use dill instead of parsley. Omitted croutons. Green beans on the side.

sardines.jpg

green_beans.jpg

• Like 7

Inspired by tug I made a sardine pasta. My can was King Oscar rather than Cento, and I'd planned to include pine nuts but got befuddled by the pine nut controversy (and blocked by my attempt to buy Italian pignoli in the Bronx by the fact that Nino's on Arthur Avenue was unexpectedly closed on summer Sundays after July 19th, despite their website)...

Decided to use dill instead of parsley. Omitted croutons. Green beans on the side.

How were the bones, if any?

attachicon.gifsardines.jpg

attachicon.gifgreen_beans.jpg

Looks great!

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I would by no means try to pass this off as a Japanese meal, but for dinner I prepared okra/okura tempura.  Along with sliced tomatoes and coleslaw.

I confess to a phobia of frying but I somehow managed to pull it off without burning myself or others.  I served the okra with a dipping sauce of Kikkoman Marudaizu which turned out to be totally superfluous.  The okra tempura required no salt or spice.  However the older okra pods required quite a bit of chewing prior to expectoration.

• Like 3

photo.JPG

Venison cheeseburgers last night.  And, the stars of the show, straight from the garden, Silver Queen corn, 'maters and fried okra.  The burgers were super good, but I only ate a few bites.  I was busy scarfing down the veggies.  :laugh:

• Like 14

This was both lunch and dinner, because I made too much for one meal and we both enjoyed it. Summer Minestrone soup with fresh tomatoes, green and yellow pattypan squash, green beans. Pasta and dried beans, of course. I had a nice piece of Parm rind that simmered in the stock. We've had a couple of cooler days, so it was nice to have soup. Served with a bit of grated cheese and fresh basil. 

IMGP5017.JPG

IMGP5027.JPG

IMGP5034.JPG

• Like 11