• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

OMG Liuzhou, AMAZING looking food.  I am envious!!!!  The scallops, the shrimps, the fish maw, those lovely buns and the egg.  Drooling here.  I had to google Lizard's Tail.  Looks interesting.  Thank you for sharing all of the pictures!

My husband made us pork ribs.  Nice and tender and smokey.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 11

OMG Liuzhou, AMAZING looking food.  I am envious!!!!  The scallops, the shrimps, the fish maw, those lovely buns and the egg.  Drooling here.  I had to google Lizard's Tail.  Looks interesting.  Thank you for sharing all of the pictures!

Yes, sorry, I meant to link to this explanation of Lizard's Tail, but was having connectivity problems.

thank you

ive missed the Chinese banquets that from time to time are posted.

the char sui looks very different from what's around in chinatowns here in eastern USA

Yes, it does look different from normal, but that is what it said in the menu and what the server announced when he brought it. And it tasted just the same. Probably a local version.

This is typical northern Guangxi food. The restaurant company is based in Guilin where they run several restaurants. There is only one here in Liuzhou despite the city being three times bigger - but it's a big restaurant!

The last dish of snails and ducks' feet is very much a Liuzhou signature dish.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Using some seasonal goods from local farms...grilled veg panzanella, heavy on veg, light on bread (zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, tomato, parsley) served with a side of leftover cooked chicken. The tomato was a bit under-ripe, but still had more flavor than the usual supermarket stock. It was pretty, should have taken a photo.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Haven't been taking enough pictures lately… The al fresco dinner below with the heirloom tomatoes contained the best dish of all, shell steaks from Eataly (what I would call bone-in strips or Kansas City strips), dry-aged prime grass-fed, grain-finished beef from Diamond Creek Ranch in Wilsey, KS, about an inch and a half thick, sliced while raw, pushed back together with the bone, and grilled to tingling perfection. But they were gobbled down before the camera came out!

The chicken was a pasture-raised bird from Cascun Farms in upstate New York. Roasted Marcella style, the only twist being plenty of tarragon and then all those little red onions that I bought at Drumlin Farms in Lincoln Mass and brought back to New York… they sit and caramelize in the slowly dripping chicken fat and seasoning and are just the best thing ever.

Then just a couple outside meals with the bounty of the season… those last two pictures are taken on film btw, a restored Leica IIIf from 1955, loaded with Fuji C200!

chicken.jpg

tomatoes.jpg

salad.jpg

• Like 8

Looks great. Wha'ts the sauce here?

Thanks. It's a brown chicken stock, infused with some dried black trumpets, mounted with butter and olive oil, finished with a splash of Barolo vinegar. 

Today I found some very nice wild blueberries..

jI4BGK9l.jpg

Garden zucchini salad with a bitter lemon vinaigrette

W3HH4A2l.jpg

• Like 4

Everyone's food looks very good.

Strip steak was on sale at Hen House.  We had lots of toppings for the potatoes and I made Cheesy Corn. It's an adaption from a dish they have at Woodyard BBQ.  Theirs is a baked kind of casserole, mine was just heated in a sauce pan. Their recipe used a 96 oz can of corn, I used 15 oz and estimated the rest of the ingredients. 

DSCN2739_zps7hhdyrxi.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

Ok EVERYONE absolutely out of the park meals on the last couple of pages. My finger would be raw hitting the 'like' button.

So, just once a great big blown away I wanna come your house for dinner like.

• Like 7

By far the most common crab available round here are these little critters.

crab2.jpg

The are known n the local dialect as 花蟹 (huā xiè) which means 'flower crab'. The standard Mandarin is the more prosaic 青蟹 (qīng xiè) or 'blue crab', although they are not always blue (as you can see) .

Sweet and delicious. My favourite way to deal with them is to stir fry them with ginger, garlic and Thai chilli peppers. When almost cooked I add soy sauce, oyster sauce and coriander/cilantro.

Tonight I served it with black rice and garnished with garlic chives. The sauce was served separately.

There was a side of water spinach (
空心菜 - kōng xīn cài), which I neglected to photograph. Just green stuff.

cbc.jpg

• Like 11

French filet beans sautéed w/ garlic.  More of the beef short ribs & bamboo shoots braise from here.

DSCN5513-15_C_800.jpg

Soup. EV olive oil, thinly-sliced shallots & garlic, chopped scallions, sliced young portobello mushrooms, chicken stock + water, zucchini blossoms (stigmas removed), quartered baby zucchini, roasted vermicelli (this one).  Dressed w/ more chopped scallions & a couple of baby zucchini.

DSCN5525b_800.jpg

• Like 2

68 lb pig on the fire (charcoal and apple wooed) at 1 pm; the picking of the loin area started at 3 pm and the hams/shoulders were at 140F by 5:30 pm.  Took it off the spit and put it on to my granite countertop and carved it up to go with the sides. No pulled pork, just slices.  After 36 people ate all they could I had 8 lbs of meat left some of which was pinkish while other parts were over done.  With the latter I will make some carnitas and the pink slices we'll have in sandwiches over the next two days.

Now the bones, etc. have simmered for two day and it smells very piggie in here.  Ready for straining today.

DSC00968.JPG

• Like 13

Dinner the next night after the pig was 18 egg yolk pasta from Flour + Water along with a sauce made with freshly picked tomatoes and homemade Italian sausage and that zuc salad posted on another thread.  My nephew, Eric, wanted to learn how to make the pasta and he did a fine job without too much intervention.  The amount of pasta and sauce was enormous and we all thought there is no way on earth we are eating all that.  Wrong, Eric managed to almost finish it off.

DSC00964.JPG

• Like 10

Last night we started by sharing a couple of tasty samosas - one veggie, one beef. I've made samosas before, but these were purchased locally. With commercial mango chutney, which was not that great. I should have found time to make my own.  :sad:

IMGP4856.JPG

Chicken cubes cooked on hot BBQ after a spicy yogurt marinade for 'tandoori-style' chicken skewers. Basmati rice, of course. And some Chana Masala. I added some cauliflower because I bought a lovely little one from the farm and my husband loves the stuff. Thought about making Aloo Gobi with the caulflower, but we already had lots of food for the two of us! (Plus leftovers.) 

IMGP4889.JPG

Served with naan bread (also purchased) and a tomato-cucumber raita. 

IMGP4891.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 8

I seem to be on a seafood kick.

I have no idea what these are called in English. In the local language they are 花甲螺 (huā jiǎ luó) which translates as 'flower shell clams'.

clams1.jpg

I like them a lot and prefer them just as they come. I steam them until they open and eat them without adornment. They are sweet and naturally salty.

clams2.jpg

Then, after that starter, went for an equally simple dish of prawns with spaghetti (or spaghetti with prawns.)

sp.jpg

• Like 10

OkanaganCook--Pig and pasta--you've hit on two of my favorite things!!!  

FauxPas-Such a lovely plate of food.  So pretty!

Liuzhou-You're killing me with all the fresh seafood.  I want!

I was on my own last night so I made a batch of basil pesto sauce to freeze.  I had a smidge left so I tossed it with pasta, cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts.  I also had some eggplant in there.  

photo 2.JPG

• Like 5