• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

Yong Tau Foo.

Okra, fresh shiitake mushroom caps, tau pok, Thai eggplants, soft tofu, firm tofu; stuffed w/ a mixture of fish paste (surimi) [commercial], ground pork, black sesame oil, normal sesame oil, ground white pepper, chopped scallions, chopped coriander leaf, finely sliced rehydrated wood-ear fungus, bit of double-fermented soy sauce, dash of fish sauce [Red Boat].  Poached in chicken stock/broth.  Part of what was made plated for dinner, as shown.

Eaten w/ wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) wilted into and briefly simmered in the poaching liquid/stock.

Dipping sauce of diluted Lingham's Hot Sauce mixed w/ fresh lime juice.

DSCN5448b_800.jpg

DSCN5451b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

The day started out very nice. I BBQed a slab of spare ribs and trimmings.  Here is the smoker going and next to it is my brand new grill.  Next picture is after two hours, just before wrapping the ribs and the last picture is after another two hours.  As soon as I took them off, the sky got dark and the clouds opened up.  I wanted to do a quick run to the store to get a few things to finish dinner but the storm sirens went off and the car radio said there were tornadoes sighted.  I was at the store but they closed before I could get in so I'll have to finish dinner with left overs I guess.  The ribs are nicely done and very juicy, btw.

DSCN2717_zpsjeefvugp.jpg

DSCN2718_zpsadyaypm9.jpg

DSCN2721_zpsx1cxvvpa.jpg

Nice set-up for cooking dinner - I'd be cooking a lot!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Watching all..u guys cook// EXCITED ME..  ha Ha  :raz:

Lamb in an Albarino wine Sauce

Lamb--Marinated in  fresh garlic/ fresh Rosemary/Salt/Raw Sugar/EVOO   24 hr

The Lamb roast was from my patients local farm raised organic lamb

Sauce  - Albarino Wine/ dash of H2o/Thyme/fresh lemon Juice/butter and my new herb Pineapple Sage

This was all cooked @425 till 110F in a Roma-toff

Served w Yukon Gold Tators and Home canned Beans

19538311026_7dbede19f8_k.jpg

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels

I made a riff on the famous Philadelphia pork and broccoli rabe sandwich with provolone and cherry peppers.  I will admit that I used leftover pork blade chops instead of slow roasted pork shoulder.

pork sandwich.jpg

• Like 6

I made a riff on the famous Philadelphia pork and broccoli rabe sandwich with provolone and cherry peppers.  I will admit that I used leftover pork blade chops instead of slow roasted pork shoulder.

attachicon.gifpork sandwich.jpg

I grew up in Philadelphia.  This is the first I have ever heard of this dish.  But then when I was growing up in Philadelphia I had never heard of broccoli rabe.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner was Ottolenghi eggplant with pomegranates, a baguette, half of a small chicken rubbed with grapeseed oil and baked quickly at high heat (eg, after the baguette).   And some cheese.  I was not at all sure I could finish half of even a tiny chicken by myself, but isn't MR wonderful?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

BonVivant,   I would have been happier with your lamb dinner.

Couple of dinners from earlier in the week.

I finally found a cut of lamb that I'm not that keen on. Lamb breast/riblets.    I still have a few cuts of lamb from a whole one in the freezer.  

Grilled%20Breast%20of%20lamb%20July%207t

Greek style.

Breast%20of%20Lamb%20July%207th%2C%20201

Grilled.

We have been having a very hot summer here on the west coast of Canada.

i-78fgtDj-L.jpg

I have four pots of basil that are thriving.   So......

Fettucine%20Pesto%20with%20grilled%20sau

Fettuccine in a pesto sauce with grilled Italian sausage.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10

I grew up in Philadelphia.  This is the first I have ever heard of this dish.  But then when I was growing up in Philadelphia I had never heard of broccoli rabe.

I also lived in Philadelphia for a time and have no memory of this sandwich from then.  My Philadelphia memories are of hoagies, cheesesteaks, giant pickles, and soft pretzels.  Of course I was a child then and probably would not have even considered eating broccoli rabe.  But, this sandwich is a Philadelphia thing. Google brings up many recipes and shops where you can get it.

Yong Tau Foo.

Okra, fresh shiitake mushroom caps, tau pok, Thai eggplants, soft tofu, firm tofu; stuffed w/ a mixture of fish paste (surimi) [commercial], ground pork, black sesame oil, normal sesame oil, ground white pepper, chopped scallions, chopped coriander leaf, finely sliced rehydrated wood-ear fungus, bit of double-fermented soy sauce, dash of fish sauce [Red Boat].  Poached in chicken stock/broth.  Part of what was made plated for dinner, as shown.

Eaten w/ wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) wilted into and briefly simmered in the poaching liquid/stock.

Dipping sauce of diluted Lingham's Hot Sauce mixed w/ fresh lime juice.

attachicon.gifDSCN5448b_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5451b_800.jpg

Love the idea of the stuffed tofu blocks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We have been having a very hot summer here on the west coast of Canada.

i-78fgtDj-L.jpg

I have four pots of basil that are thriving.   So......

Fettucine%20Pesto%20with%20grilled%20sau

Fettuccine in a pesto sauce with grilled Italian sausage.

That looks like perfect summer fare. My basil is also reaching the point where I can harvest it - pesto in the next few days! As for the lamb - I've been hankering for lamb, but I can't buy any more meat until I've worked down through the freezer. No lamb in there. :-(

The only thing that seems to be missing from your meals is your lovely bread.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

very late lunch / early dinner :

BLT.jpg

BLT

HomeMade ( machine ) bread, still warm ( w buckwheat flout ) lightly toasted.  Farmers market loose leaf lettuce, tomato,

Edward slab bacon, hand sliced; Helman's mayo

The King and Queen of sandwiches

toast : perfect, mayo excellent tomatoes OK lettuce is lettuce.

I don't use much NaCl, and the bacon was a bit salty and too thick.  Ill chill the slab next time and try for thinner and do a

20 min soak in ice-water then a pat dry to try to remove a bit of the salt.

flavor, texture, piggy-ness of the sandwich  Memorable !

• Like 8

BonVivant,   I would have been happier with your lamb dinner.

Couple of dinners from earlier in the week.

I finally found a cut of lamb that I'm not that keen on. Lamb breast/riblets.    I still have a few cuts of lamb from a whole one in the freezer.  

Grilled%20Breast%20of%20lamb%20July%207t

Greek style.

Breast%20of%20Lamb%20July%207th%2C%20201

I'd be happy with yours. Everything looks perfect here. Love the overhead shot.

Lamb ribs are popular with the Turks, they also braise them. I shall do that when it gets cold.

Liam that Philadelphia broccoli sandwich looks so great.

Ann very impressive basil. Mines been anemic.

I did get to incorporate some home grown parsley and mint in dinner tonight though.

I made these yogurt lamb leg kebabs with tatziki, tabbouleh with the fresh herbs, and oven roasted mixed potatoes.

Cooked the lamb on the rotisserie.

QVaFtKE.png

Edited by Dave W (log)
  • Like 5

I also lived in Philadelphia for a time and have no memory of this sandwich from then.  My Philadelphia memories are of hoagies, cheesesteaks, giant pickles, and soft pretzels.  Of course I was a child then and probably would not have even considered eating broccoli rabe.  But, this sandwich is a Philadelphia thing. Google brings up many recipes and shops where you can get it.

It is a legit South Philly sandwich that hasn't spread as far as the cheesesteak. I'm not sure you can find one north of the Reading Terminal Market

Sometimes with sharp provolone. A note of rosemary and a hint of garlic in the roast pork and jus. Nice.

A few dinners. 

My husband was in charge of this one. Strip loin medallions, I think? He did them on the BBQ to a medium/rare after cooking the potatoes (wrapped in foil with a bit of oil, S & P). He didn't think it needed anything else, but I insisted on the tomato. You can tell he likes new potatoes.  :smile:

It was really quite tasty. The cat and I sat and watched him and drank wine. (Well, I drank wine.) All in all, a very good meal.

(The cat got a taste or two.)

IMGP4812.JPG

Marcella Hazan tomato sauce (with butter and onion), topped with a  bit of parm-reg and a bit of basil. I made extra sauce and froze it. Not that it takes much effort to make it, but it does take a bit of time. 

IMGP4835.JPG

Tomahawk pork chops - after an apple cider marinade, cooked sous-vide to med-rare, then seared quickly on the BBQ. With fresh local snap beans (yay, I love beans!) and some homemade pickled beets and red onions. 

IMGP4849.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5

Various miscellaneous meals.

More of the meat ball, tomatoes & Roma beans sauce from here, with rice and sautéed Napa cabbage.

DSCN5430a_800.jpg

Fedelini w/ basil pesto.  Salad (red romaine, green leaf lettuces, heirloom tomato, blanched beans) w/ balsamic, Alziari evoo, salt & pepper.

DSCN5445a_800.jpg

Yong Tau Foo round 2 (see here).  With Chee Cheong Fun [(rolled rice noodle crepes) [commercial] (made w/ har mai & scallion bits) plus deep-fried shallots and Teem Cheong ("sweet sauce") made w/ {hoisin, oyster, double fermented soy, dark soy sauces; sesame oil, water}.  Peppermint Swiss chard in the poaching liquid from doing the YTF.

DSCN5452a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday's meals. Variations on a tomato theme.

Spaghetti [Garofalo] w/ Hazan tomato sauce (w/ Campari tomatoes), Parmigiano Reggiano.  Plus stir-fried big-leaf mustard greens (芥菜), mainly hearts.

DSCN5458a_800.jpg

DSCN5464a_800.jpg

番茄炒蛋 (Tomatoes fried with eggs).  Hot oil & hot pan, chopped scallions, egg (beaten w/ Shaohsing wine, salt, white pepper), stirred/folded and removed/reserved when still very wet and not yet set (about 30-40 secs).  Hot oil & hot pan, garlic, chopped heirloom tomatoes, stir, a pour of hon-mirin [Takara], couple dashes of Bulldog (Tonkatsu) sauce, a wee bit fish sauce [Red Boat]; the reserved eggs folded back in briefly and immediately served dressed w/ more fresh chopped scallions.

Yu Choy Sum blanched in oiled hot water, dressed w/ oyster sauce [LKK] & black pepper.

White rice.

DSCN5468a_800.jpg

DSCN5469a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Corn and crab cakes with lime cream and iceberg-cilantro slaw.  Recipe was from the current issue of Fine Cooking magazine.  I enjoyed this and it was fast to put together on a work night

corn and crabcakes.jpg 

• Like 12

Haven't posted for a while.

Needed to use up some lemons so thought I'd make hummus.

This led a Middle Eastern inspired dish -- hummus with spiced marinated lamb and pine nuts.

lamb and humms.jpg

• Like 7

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog