• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (part 4)

mm84321

[Host's note:  To avoid an excessive load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues from here.]

Shelby, it is a slate. Comes in handy a lot.
Wild striped bass with crushed striato de Napoli zucchini
Z6u2T5L.jpg

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 6

Dinner tonight was a baguette, eggplant with buttermilk sauce, and grilled chicken.  The grilled chicken thigh was somewhat underdone.  Perhaps not from a public safety standpoint, but from an organoleptic standpoint.

I was going to serve still wine, but why suffer still wine when one can enjoy bubbles?  Decades of gold diggers cannot be wrong!  Sometimes I am sad to have outlived the gilded age.  MR covers a multitude of sins.

If I could only stop the hiccups.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sauteed yellowtail flounder on a cucumber gazpacho.  The recipe is from the Babbo cookbook (the recipe called for tilefish but flounder was what came in the fish share this week).  I thought it was really tasty and can see myself making a lot this summer.

flounder gazpacho.jpg

• Like 11

I know it doesn't look like it but there is a half bun under the lettuce. And the top half is just out of shot.

Made some hamburgers. I also had a few (third of a can) of leftover anchovies which I mixed with the beef along with chilli flakes. Didn't know how that would work. It worked well.

Lettuce tomato and onion. No cheese. I hate cheese with burgers. I know.

Served with chips (fries). Didn't picture those. You know what they look like.

hamburger.jpg

I ate two.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

liuzhou, that's a lovely burger. I'm fond of mine with caramelized onions and blue cheese on top.

liamsaunt, mm, and chefmd, those are some most appetizing-looking fish dishes. I find myself cooking a lot of tilapia in the summer; it's a light entree in a lemon-butter sauce, and the filets cook so quickly they don't heat up the kitchen.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Some miscellaneous recent meals and from yesterday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Remainder of the canh đậu hủ hẹ from here with maitake mushrooms added in, eaten w/ a bundle of very thin min6 sin3 (this one) softened in situ** into the hot soup in the bowl.  Dressed w/ scallions & coriander leaves.

DSCN5298b_800.jpg

** I remember a discussion last year about using these in "home-assembled glass jars of 'instant noodles' with fixings".  I looked around and found it - here and the surrounding posts.  Anna N, did any of it pan out?

Sunday dim sum at Lucky Lou Seafood Restaurant in Indy (no pics, sorry) (next to Saraga International Market):

Shrimp dumplings (har gow);

Pork dumplings (siu mai);

"Pan fried shrimp roll" (their description, heh!), actually stuffed bean curd skin (fu pei kuen);

Chicken feet (fung jao);

Pig intestine with black bean sauce (see chap tai cheong);

Shrimp crepe (seen har cheong fun);

Deep-fried taro ball, pork filling (wu tau kok).

Chrysanthemum flowers & pu-erh tea (kook-pou).

Balance of the Kai Tom Khamin (ไก่ต้มขมิ้น) from here, re-simmered w/ more chopped-up chicken thighs, seasoning adjusted a bit, fresh trimmed scallions added in at the end & dressed w/ coriander leaves.

DSCN5361b_800.jpg

With rice added in  –  DSCN5365a_500.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

Freshly made chicken stock (portion) simmered with red-skinned carrots & regular orange carrots, celery stalks, and leaves (added last).

DSCN5358a_800.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Spaghetti [Garofalo] with Hazan tomato sauce (fresh tomatoes) & grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

DSCN5370a_800.jpg

• Like 6

Liuzhou, that is one great looking burger.

Warm Caprese Salad.

Warm%20Caprese%20Salad%20June%2029th%2C%

Tomatoes were wrapped in prosciutto, drizzled with olive oil and roasted at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until the prosciutto started to get crispy. Served with fresh mozzarella. Drizzled with a fresh basil, garlic and olive oil dressing.

• Like 9

I have been running around with a hectic schedule and travelling. Now posting on someone else's PC of a few things actually done the past Father's Day.

Happy July 1st to Canadian friends!

Happy July 4th to US friends!

Happy July 14th to French friends!

dcarch

-------------------

SV prime rib

prime%20rib%20golden%20beets%202_zpse33n

prime%20rib%20golden%20beets_zps84mrqaf5

Morel from farmers market

morel%202015_zpset4xnrys.jpg

Shrimps, silken tofu with morel sauce

shrimps%20morel%20tofu_zpsxtbsu5id.jpg

shrimps%20morel%20tofu%202_zpscyzn6qoy.j

Pulled pork, squash, jack fruit

pulled%20pork%20jack%20fruit%202_zps4emc

pulled%20pork%20jack%20fruit_zpswidh4bis

Ox tail, Morel

ox%20tail%20morel%20hosta%202_zpst0uxuwc

ox%20tail%20morel%20hosta_zpskithmoex.jp

• Like 11

Made some tri-tip again last night.  Sous Vide for 4 hours (from frozen) at 120F then seasoned with McCormick's Montreal Steak Rub and seared on screaming hot GrillGrates (flat side) for a few minutes.

You've seen my tri-tip many times before, butI'm posting again mainly to tell you about the side dish.  I often make cauliflower with butter and crushed cashews.  This time I decided to try some crushed pistachios.  Yum!  One of our new favorites now!

tritipcali.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I like this.  Some details, please?

Thanks!

1. Tofu - silken tofu is difficult to give it good shape on a plate. This is done with random shaped tofu pieces on a small round non-stick pan, fried with a little oyster sauce, without stirring and turning so that one surface is perfectly browned. Then flipped over on the plate. 

2. The shrimps are cut and shaped into round forms and pan fried in garlic and butter till caramelized.

3. Green squares are just scallions.

4. Sauce is morel mushrooms sauteed in beef stock, chicken stock and pork stock with a little ginger, pepper, 1/2 square of lemon peel, shrimp shell, salt and thickened with tapioca flour.

I will ship you leftovers if there was any. :-)

dcarch

• Like 1

Thanks!

1. Tofu - silken tofu is difficult to give it good shape on a plate. This is done with random shaped tofu pieces on a small round non-stick pan, fried with a little oyster sauce, without stirring and turning so that one surface is perfectly browned. Then flipped over on the plate. 

2. The shrimps are cut and shaped into round forms and pan fried in garlic and butter till caramelized.

3. Green squares are just scallions.

4. Sauce is morel mushrooms sauteed in beef stock, chicken stock and pork stock with a little ginger, pepper, 1/2 square of lemon peel, shrimp shell, salt and thickened with tapioca flour.

I will ship you leftovers if there was any. :-)

dcarch

Thanks!  Appreciated.

I'd like to riff on this, if you don't mind.  Morels are no longer in season around here but some other suitable mushrooms (or almost any other mushrooms) would do fine, I would think.  In fact, a Chinese mushroom (shiitake) and shrimp and tofu dish of this sort would not be out of place even on a traditional "Chinese" table, IMO, and something not dissimilar is around, depending on one's ideas of comparability.  Porcini or black trumpets might be nice...hmm, I still have some dried porcinis --- hmm.  Making a stock with dried matsutake (if one does not have the fresh) and using that as well might be excellent, and I still have some (old) dried ones.  Pan-fried thinly-sliced king oysters as an underlayer on the plate, with the pan residues deglazed and used for the rest of the dish is another idea...

Thanks!  Appreciated.

I'd like to riff on this, if you don't mind.  Morels are no longer in season around here but some other suitable mushrooms (or almost any other mushrooms) would do fine, I would think.  In fact, a Chinese mushroom (shiitake) and shrimp and tofu dish of this sort would not be out of place even on a traditional "Chinese" table, IMO, and something not dissimilar is around, depending on one's ideas of comparability.  Porcini or black trumpets might be nice...hmm, I still have some dried porcinis --- hmm.  Making a stock with dried matsutake (if one does not have the fresh) and using that as well might be excellent, and I still have some (old) dried ones.  Pan-fried thinly-sliced king oysters as an underlayer on the plate, with the pan residues deglazed and used for the rest of the dish is another idea...

Agree. If you have a good song, you can play it on different instruments. If you have a good recipe, you can sub many ingredients.

I like morel with silken tofu. Beside the taste, the crunchness of morels is kind of interesting with silky smoothness of the tofu.

dcarch 

Agree. If you have a good song, you can play it on different instruments. If you have a good recipe, you can sub many ingredients.

I like morel with silken tofu. Beside the taste, the crunchness of morels is kind of interesting with silky smoothness of the tofu.

dcarch 

Then try some fresh wood-ear mushrooms next time!  Crunch, crunch.  With or without other fungi.  I suppose I would skip the porcini if I were to use wood-ears, though.  :-)  Chanterelles would be both lost in this dish and conflict with the basic characteristic and would be a waste of the mushroom. 

ETA:  I might also drizzle in some beaten egg white...maybe.  (NOT beaten whole egg)

Edited by huiray (log)

Shelby – fantastic meals.  Those onion rings look great and your mac and cheese always gets me craving some.  Too funny about your scratch batch of Sloppy Joes not being very good. 

Heidi – I think of that discussion every year when I start my pickles! 

tug – loved your sardine pasta.  What a great pantry meal.

Sunday night was breakfast for dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_111623.jpg

Croissant French toast and scrambled eggs.  Topping on the right is the stewed plums that Caroled made and sent home with us:

med_gallery_3331_114_91021.jpg

So incredibly good.

• Like 8

I made ham and Swiss cheese crepes with white wine bechamel filling. The Swiss cheese was a brand I had never dealt with before from Aldi's, and although I used the same recipe and proportions I always do, the cheese sauce was super thick and stringy, and refused to ladle cleanly into the center of the crepes where I needed it to go. I wound up turning the air a bit blue, and finally resorting to using my hands to glob the thick sauce evenly into the center of each crepe. They looked and tasted fine in the end, but no more Aldi's Swiss for me. The cheese only had a few small holes anyway which I thought was strange. Tasted good though.

I cooked up some beautiful broccoli to go with it. I love it when broccoli grows such dense florets that the undersides are lighter green in places than the areas that get more sun. This was really good.

The night before was huevos rancheros served with crispy taco shells, lots of hot pico de gallo, refried beans and cheese, shredded lettuce and black olives. I really enjoyed it.

Shelby,

I always love seeing your flower burst platters filled with vibrant, healthy produce. I could make a very enjoyable meal out with just that!

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Thai-style fish cakes in lettuce wraps with sweet chili sauce.  Very satisfying.

thai fish cakes.jpg

I made chicken lettuce wraps for the niece and nephew, and pineapple fried rice for them also

pineapple rice.jpg

• Like 17

Two or three weeks ago, I mentioned one of my favourite dishes but failed to take a photo. I made it again today.

I call it "Coriander Chicken". Those of you who are of the American persuasion may prefer to call it "Cilantro Chicken". Same thing.

I believe it is a Keith Floyd recipe, but I've been making it so long I can't be sure now. Simple but delicious. I would have preferred to have more coriander than I did this time, but it is nearly 40ºC here and the stuff in the market was drooping rapidly, as was I.

It is basically diced chicken breast with garlic, chilli and olives. I start off by browning the chicken then adding adding the garlic etc with a little white wine and the coriander/cilantro stems and roots, then when the rice is nearly ready add the coriander leaves. A bit of citrus (lemon or lime) goes well, but I didn't have any today.

cc.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Duck soup.  Water, three duck legs cut up (skin & fat retained), dried Angelica sinensis root slices, dried Polygonatum odoratum rhizome slices, dried Dioscorea polystachya tuber slices, dried Codonopsis pilosula root sections, dried longan flesh, dried "black" Ziziphus jujuba fruits, dried Lycium barbarum fruits, salt.  Simmer till done, several hours.

Kai-lan.  Trimmed "hearts" blanched in oiled simmering water, drizzled w/ diluted oyster sauce & dusted w/ black pepper.

White rice.

DSCN5376a_800.jpg

DSCN5385b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1