• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saving egg yolks for ice cream

LizD518

I am about to make a meringue for a coconut cake and will have 6 egg yolks left over, which I want to use to make ice cream. However, I probably won't get to the ice cream before Sunday. What is the best way to save them? Do I need to freeze them, or will a plastic bag with all the air pushed out be sufficient? Can I expect the texture to be affected?

I haven't tried this, so maybe do some more research. Egg yolks supposedly freeze well if they're blended with sugar first. This is to provide some protection to the proteins, which could otherwise have their texture changed and their ability to mix with other ingredients impeded—I haven't been able to find a scientific explanation and haven't tested it.

If you measure the sugar carefully and note it on the freezer bag, you can just subtract this quantity from the recipe. I don't know for sure that the sugar is necessary here, but don't think it would cause harm.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

As per above, I've read to add 10% sugar by weight, mix with the yolks and then freeze. Then just subtract that amount of sugar when making your ice cream.

No idea if it works, I haven't tried.

I've also read about the "add sugar" technique. In addition, I've read that you can add salt if you want to freeze the yolks for a savory, rather than a sweet, application. I am skeptical of both. Everything I've read says "I heard that you can ..." but I've never read anything that says someone actually did it! So I would use those yolks to make lemon curd. :smile:

The question is what happens to the proteins in the yolks when you freeze them. And does it effect their emulsifying properties, their ability to thicken a custard, or anything else about their texture in a custard or ice cream. 

It's worth an experiment if you can't get an authoritative answer.

Notes from the underbelly

If it's only for a few days, I'd just keep the yolks covered in the fridge.  There'll be an upper limit to how long they'll still be good, but I'm sure I've kept some for four or five days in similar circumstances.  They may start to look a little dry round the edges but they're still fine.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I put them in a small ziploc bag and gently pressed the air out of the bag. As of the time i put the bag in the fridge none of the yolks had broken yet.  I guess I'll see on Sunday how it turns out.