• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problems with glazes when downscaling recipes

Droo

I'm always finding that my glazes are incredibly thick when I downscale my recipes. I am not sure whether it is the ingredients I use, my technique or the recipe is problematic when scaled down. 

Do I just add sugar syrup to thin it down to required viscosity?

Yes all contain gelatin. I have a range of recipes all from the same source and the same thing is occuring with each of them. As I've had this problem for a while, calculations, weights and temps were my first check, and they were all correct. So I am at a loss.

Are you using a smaller pot? If you don't, you have a much larger surface area to volume ratio, meaning that water is evaporating out more quickly.

I am also wondering if you might need to check the original formula, like maybe it always needed adjusting but since you don't get the top area of a tall pot warm enough you never really activated 100% of the gelatin. Then when scaled down, all of the gelatin is getting hot enough and activating.

Anyway, I'd try added a little more water and see how that works before trying syrup. (there's nothing wrong with syrup, it just adds more variables to the mix.)

What is the glaze (or glazes) like when you make the full amount?  Does it still seem too thick? Does it cool too much and become harder to pour?  I've been using the chocolate lacquer glaze from the Rose's Heavenly Cakes book and it keeps well, you just have to add a little bit of water when reheating it; so I always make a full amount (or usually we do a 4x batch size) and keep what is left for the next time.

The recipes in question are for about 9 to 10 entremets. One glaze in particular is very thin where it is translucent on side of the cake when we made the batch for 9 entremets - when I make it, scaling it down to 3 cakes, it was very thick once poured on the cake. 

The recipes are those that contain gelatine and neutral glaze. I made a white chocolate glaze this week and it was fine, although the recipe was for 2 cakes only. 

It's the math that's getting you; ingredients for whatever you're putting the glaze on will scale according to volume / mass, but a glaze scales according to surface area. 

If you cut the main ingredients in half, you should probably cut the ingredients of the glaze by 3/4.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

Sorry I don't understand. It wasn't that the glaze wasn't covering enough entremets.

If you exclude the entremets - and just focus on the glaze as a standalone element - I reduced all ingredients by the same proportion. The glaze was coming out way too thick.

So I think, as someone previously said I am boiling off too much water, so I'll need to "top up" with water or 30 baume syrup. 

So I think, as someone previously said I am boiling off too much water, so I'll need to "top up" with water or 30 baume syrup. 

Ah, ok. Sorry for the confusion. That sounds like a good solution. I'd think just water would do it.

Notes from the underbelly

Scaling down proportions si not a problem.

Just make sure to respect the hydration of your gelatins (generally 5 or 6 times it weight in water for gold bloom) straining small amounts of gelatins and big ones take out the water balance. Very tricky.

Secondly, respect the temperature issue. If it says 103c then stay at that point (when sugar are involved that's close to boiling point)

Indeed use a pot in proportion to avoid evaporation but when you reheat the glaze make sure to not over heat it as the water tends to evaporate. Especially with a microwave.

I use a glaze based on chocolate that's is very stable. Big or small quantities work the same

Boil :

150 sugar

150 glucose

75 water

Add to and mix:

100 condense milk

140 gelatin masse (20 gelatine / 120 water let sit 10 min and microwave for 20s)

Add to and blend then strain

150 chocolate

+ colour if needed

• Like 2