• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Out of the shadows

Things have gotten to the point where lurking in the forum just doesn't cut it.  The need to participate in the conversations is too great, so here I am!  Looking forward to learning even more than I already have...interested in cooking techniques, both classic and modern, and certainly have questions regarding the outfitting of an elevated home kitchen.

The respect and input I've seen on the boards makes me believe that this is a place where learning and sharing can really take precedence over everything else, something of a rarity on the internet these days.

Thank you for having me as a member.

Matt

• Like 1

Welcome to eGullet, Matt. I know what you mean - I lurked for years and felt I already knew so many very well but could never talk to them so I too had to register not that long ago.

May I ask what exactly you mean by 'elevated' home kitchen? Do you just mean remodelling (better than before) or are you building a kitchen in a tree house? :smile:

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

Deryn,

Good to know I'm not alone.  As for the elevated part, I knew that was the wrong phrasing, but couldn't come up with a better word.  (Though the tree house kitchen would be fun)  I just meant a kitchen with some of the more fun appliances making their way from commercial use to home use, say a vacuum chamber, an immersion circulator, that sort of thing. A craigslist bought copy of MC...toss in some ingredients that my parents would never have seen, much less used, that's all I was getting at.  

This is not meant to downplay the cooking of the non-modernist nature.  A roast chicken done right is still going to draw people to the table.  And that's why I cook, honestly.  I love to eat, love to prepare food for others, and love to share what things I've learned.

Matt

• Like 2

Oh good .. another gadget junkie then? You will fit right in here. 

You may want to read our thread about home freeze-drying! That is a 'gadget' you may find it difficult to live without - I did. :) And I got there after getting the chamber vacuum. It is a sickness.

Kerry Beal may also get you thinking about chocolate making with the new EZTemper thread. And we have at least several combi oven fanatics here. And a number who have adapted lab appliances of various kinds for home use I believe - in their attempts to play with MC techniques. BBQs, smokers, searz-alls, you name it - we discuss it and some of us drool over the pages as we do.

I will warn you though, if you succumb to all the enthusiasm about each new fun appliance, no kitchen will ever be large enough. (Don't) ask me how I know.

That said, most of us love good old-fashioned cooking too, with conventional appliances.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

What Deryn said. I have lost track of the number of gadgets and cookware that I've added to my arsenal toolkit kitchen collection since I joined the Society. There are still more to come, if I can work out where to put them. I'm happy to report that my cooking has also improved. :-)

Welcome out of lurk mode! If you have questions about the workings of the forum (how to add photos, for instance, or where a post belongs) feel free to ask one of us hosts.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I, also, welcome you. I'm not much of a modernist but you sound clever and imaginative and I'm sure you'll contribute in ways that don't involve any of the (admittedly marvelous) culinary toys.

Where are you located?

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm in upstate NY, about an hour above the city.  Close enough to the CIA that we have some awesome restaurants...chefs come for school, get attached to the area and end up staying.  Much to our benefit.

• Like 1