• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

IMG_0836.jpg

Being up to see this explains why I forgot to take a picture of the Fine Cooking Bakeshop Muffins with raspberries and almond. Had LIL (lady in labour) at that uncivilized hour.

IMG_0837.jpg

Trying to figure out which actor wearing which hat it looks like - initially I was thinking Donk from Crocodile Dundee.

IMG_0841.jpg

Dipped the meltaway bars before we headed out to Espanola.

• Like 10

The drive to Espanola was marked by a large ungainly dog running across the road - that turned out be a bear!

Thought we'd grab lunch at the Bruschetta Bus 'Poutineria' which is in the parking lot of the Giant Tiger - but for some reason it was closed. Asked the lady in the LCBO for suggestions and when she said "well there's McDonald and KFC" - we knew we'd asked the wrong person.

So while riding around trying to find Roger Rabbit on Park Street - we stopped the postie who was putting mail in the super mailbox and she suggested instead that we try the Maranatha Bakeshop. Blink and you'll miss it right on the main drag. In business 27 years - pretty much everything homemade - won't win any awards for decor - but the food was spot on.

We both ordered a sandwich - but apparently I'd ordered a 'meal' - Anna just a sandwich.

DSCN5841.jpg

I got a really nice green salad with excellent poppy seed dressing. Anna and I were commenting on how we so rarely get the kind of dressings on salads that we knew and loved growing up. 

DSCN5843.jpg

A Club for me with fries for us to share.

DSCN5844.jpg

BLT for Anna.

Tons of nice bacon - perfectly cooked - all on homemade bread.

• Like 10

Stopped into Winkel's Independent Grocer.

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

Yes - you can still get 'Flan' mentioned by Darianne over on the Desserts of the 60's thread. Two sizes seen today.

IMG_0847.jpg

Caught the bridge before it swung (usually involving a 15 minute delay) on the way back. Came home to our 80+ degree F condo - now trying to figure out how to work the GD thermostat to get the AC to work.

IMG_0849.jpg

Went to Espanola just for the bottle of Campari - can you believe in 4 weeks we've pretty much finished one?

IMG_0851.jpg

Now relaxing with a Paul's Swizzle.

• Like 7

Those meltalways look nice. What flavor are they?

Beautiful sunrise! Great looking sandwiches. Thank you for all the photos.

Looking for my tart pan yesterday I rediscovered my flan pan. Guess I'm ready to host my own 60's desserts party. :-)

• Like 1

They are fiore de sicilia flavour. Of course it's been so hot here that I put them in the fridge before I dipped them - they all cracked! But they'll be eaten - I have no fear.

Anna and I see lots of those flan plans in thrift stores - don't think we have one up here though - but with a nice buttery base they'd be quite wonderful I think.

IMG_0858.jpg

Watched this little guy waddling home this morning after a heavy night of fishing or catching frogs I suspect.

IMG_0858 (2).jpg

The CSI view.

IMG_0856 (1).jpg

Couple of Summer Tarts with raspberries for the two places I need to work today.

• Like 8

Canadian skunks know the secret to the proper way to eat a frog... so they eat them all the time.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Got any interesting plans for that lovely cauliflower?

And are you starting to work on cleaning out the fridge and pantry yet? 

Care to give us a list of 'leftovers' when you do and get suggestions? (Not that I am particularly good at that!!!) 

I was asked to make a birthday cake for Thursday - 'cause you'll be baking for the clinic anyway' - so I decided I'd do an icebox cake using the biscuit from the bourbon biscuits. So I'll need whipping cream because there is only what is left in the bottom of the quart that I had in the fridge. So went out after work and bought another quart - well there was already another quart in there. So I'm in a positive whipping cream balance and will have to figure out what to do with the remainders before we head home.

I've got mascarpone cheese - cause I had to buy it - bet I'll end up taking it home.

Going to try to use up some cheese tomorrow by taking cheese muffins to Wiki.

Not sure what we will do with the cauliflower.

• Like 2

. . . . So I'm in a positive whipping cream balance and will have to figure out what to do with the remainders before we head home.

Nice rich chocolate mousse?

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.